Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 11:48 PM

565 posts, read 362,749 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I live in Queens but work in Great Neck doing Uber Eats and Doordash delivery. I make good money for a side gig. Recently got a speeding ticket doing 44 in a 30 along Bayview ave, which everyone speeds on by the way.

I'm worried I may lose the job if a speeding ticket pops up on a background check. Is it worth hiring a lawyer to try to get the ticket dropped? Meaning is it even possible, or is Nassau county not having it? The court is in Great Neck, so I'm hoping they are more lenient.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,900,884 times
Not sure how Great Neck works and I've heard enforcement is strict there, not sure about the courts. When I got mine in Queens, the lawyer was able to get it reduced to something else. You may end up spending just as much as just paying the ticket (and the 3-yr penalty). If your worry is the type of infraction causing you to lose your job, then give it a go.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-10-2020 at 07:24 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 07:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
https://offtherecord.com/blog/traffi...u-need-to-know

If this is your only ticket, assuming the link is correct you will be fine. Slow down and don’t get any more.

Do you have a radar detector? Might be worth considering.

I’m not sure a lawyer is worth it, but if you have the time plead not guilty and go to court - you might get offered a non-moving violation plus fine instead.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:12 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
Do you have trade dress on your car? Probably why you were targeted. Slow down in areas with strict enforcement - you mentioned Garden City in another thread. Same deal there.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:59 AM

78 posts, read 45,869 times
Also try avoid town that have their own police Dept they ticket for everything

Old 10-10-2020, 07:18 PM

101 posts, read 71,692 times
I dont have experience with great neck but usually the town police just want money. I got a speeding ticket a while back in port jeff and it was a joke. Few dozen people get in line and face the judge. Please not guilty and get it knocked down to a fine, get in another line to pay the clerk.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
Only if speeding ticket is over $2000

Old 10-11-2020, 05:04 AM

151 posts, read 130,431 times
Use Dave Kapp, nice guy

Old 10-11-2020, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 1,382 times
I assume you were issued the ticket in Nassau County. First off, send in a plea of not guilty. Make sure it’s timely sent in.

Once you make your plea, you’ll receive a notice with a conference date. This is basically the opportunity to reach a plea deal with the local DA. They’ll review the ticket and your record and if it isn’t awful then they’ll offer to reduce the ticket and the fine- usually to a non-moving violation with zero points. That’s my experience anyway with Nassau Co TVPA in Hempstead and Long Beach City Court but YMMV depending on the town. Having said that, the DA’s are usually pretty fair about it, just be respectful and show an appropriate amount of deference. And don’t push your luck- if you annoy and argue with them too much they’ll shut it down and set a trial date.

If you accept the plea deal then usually they’ll make you wait a little longer while they put together the paperwork. You’ll then go before the judge who’ll ask if you agree to the plea deal, enter your plea of guilty to the reduced violation and set the fine, which they expect you to pay that same day before you leave (although there are options available if you can’t afford to pay everything that day).

Luckily you didn’t get this ticket in one of the five boroughs (I assume so anyway) as NYC has a “no plea deal” policy for all tickets. You either plead guilty or take it to trial.

Last edited by Deng890; 10-11-2020 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-11-2020, 02:41 PM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deng890 View Post
First off, send in a plea of not guilty. Make sure it’s timely sent in.

Once you make your plea, you’ll receive a notice with a conference date. This is basically the opportunity to reach a plea deal with the local DA. They’ll review the ticket and your record and if it isn’t awful the. They’ll offer to reduce the ticket and the fine- usually to a non-moving violation with zero points. That’s my experience anyway with Nassau Co TVPA in Hempstead and Long Beach City Court but YMMV depending on the town. Having said that, the DA’s are usually pretty fair about it, just be respectful and show an appropriate amount of deference. And don’t push your luck- if you annoy and argue with them too much they’ll shut it down and set a trial date.

If you accept the plea deal then usually they’ll make you wait a little longer while they put together the paperwork. You’ll then go before the judge who’ll ask if you agree to the plea deal, enter your plea of guilty to the reduced violation and set the fine, which they expect you to pay that same day before you leave (although there are options available if you can’t afford to pay everything that day).

Luckily you didn’t get this ticket in one of the five boroughs (I assume so anyway) as NYC has a “no plea deal” policy for all tickets. You either plead guilty or take it to trial.
The trial is insane in the city ...there is no judge and no court ...you have a dmv hearing with an administrator with no ability to do a thing other than find you 100% guilty or not guilty ....a 25 year old clean driving record meant nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island