Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 05:43 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,417,326 times

Advertisements

Went to high school with his late son Tom back in 68-72. Stayed over after a high school dance and walked in on Yogi, Mick, and Elston Howard playing cards. All were as my late father would say were in their “cups”. That 4 ball player autograph would be worth a couple of grand. I was too shocked and intimidated to ask. RIP to the Chairman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 07:14 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Went to high school with his late son Tom back in 68-72. Stayed over after a high school dance and walked in on Yogi, Mick, and Elston Howard playing cards. All were as my late father would say were in their “cups”. That 4 ball player autograph would be worth a couple of grand. I was too shocked and intimidated to ask. RIP to the Chairman.
What a great memory. Loved the "in their cups" reference too. I am a year older than you and I too recall that term. We had dinner in his restaurant in Roosevelt Field and he waled around from table to table greeting people. Another great from his era gone. Bob Gibson too, maybe 10 days ago.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:31 PM

101 posts, read 71,412 times
My grandmother supposedly had mutual friends with him and attended a few parties where he was present

My other grandmother used to take the train from Roslyn with friends to yankee stadium to watch the games. One day the game was cancelled due to rain and they went to a movie theater. Supposedly Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle and a few others were also in the theater a few rows up.

In the 90’s I used to go to a lot of autograph signings with my father and grandmother. My father has a nice collection of signed balls from the old timers and mid 90’s players. I caught a foul ball from Bernie Williams and got him to sign it and the game ticket.

I used to go to a lot of games as a kid and sit behind home plate. Now its unfortunately a few hundred dollars for me and my girlfriend to go and sit in the nosebleeds...

Old 10-11-2020, 08:48 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
My husband was sad to hear of his passing. He used to go the baseball card shows as a kid and young adult so he has met some of the great ones. Mickey Mantel, Phil Rizzuto, Bobby Mercer, Chris Chambliss, and many others. He never met Whitey Ford though. He has autographs as well.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:19 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,461 times
My Whitey Ford Story.

I know nothing about baseball. The only pro sport I follow is the NFL.

So one day, Edward Ford comes into my office.
I ask him, like I do all my patients, what he did for a living.
He said, "Have you ever heard of Whitey Ford?".
I replied "You mean the boxer?".

He must of thought I was a dumbass.
But he was gentleman.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:36 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
Whitey Ford lived in Lake Success. Did anyone here ever see him on Long Island when he was out shopping, dining or running errands? He seemed to keep a low profile.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:13 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Whitey Ford lived in Lake Success. Did anyone here ever see him on Long Island when he was out shopping, dining or running errands? He seemed to keep a low profile.
He had a restaurant in Roosevelt Field for maybe 12 -18 months. DH and I went to dinner and he walked around to every table and chatted with people. HE was quite engaged and I know that he lived in Lake Success for a million years as my uncle did some construction work and worked on his house. Many people asked him about why he stayed in LS and he apparently replied why not, it has everything I want.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:41 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post

My office is in Great Neck, I guess that explains why he saw me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island