Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 AM

5 posts, read 4,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
OP - you didn't mention whether you have a family or not. If you have kids do you want to be away from them so much during the week? When you consider the commuting back and forth it makes for a very long work day. Will you have the time or energy to interact with them at the end of that very long day?

Money isn't everything. I doubt many dying people thought "I should have spent more time at work".

If you don't have kids and this is a good career move, go for it. I haven't lived on Long Island in many years so I don't know what to advise on income.
Thanks, that's a good point that I didn't mention.

I actually don't have any kids and I'm single.

I agree, if I did have a family this probably wouldn't be worth it. So while it would definitely suck and leave me in little else besides a Work > Eat Supper > Sleep cycle M-F, I wouldn't be neglecting spending time with family.

I guess the other thing to consider to me is that I'm not planning on living here long term either. I had planned on sticking around for another 3-5 years. If I got absolutely worn out by this in 3 years I may just chose to move entirely at the end of that job cycle. It might also be an opportunity for me to downsize towards the end on purpose and live closer to the city in Brooklyn or Queens for the last year and enjoy that experience before I relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 04:46 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD74wi View Post
Thanks, that's a good point that I didn't mention.

I actually don't have any kids and I'm single.

I agree, if I did have a family this probably wouldn't be worth it. So while it would definitely suck and leave me in little else besides a Work > Eat Supper > Sleep cycle M-F, I wouldn't be neglecting spending time with family.

I guess the other thing to consider to me is that I'm not planning on living here long term either. I had planned on sticking around for another 3-5 years. If I got absolutely worn out by this in 3 years I may just chose to move entirely at the end of that job cycle. It might also be an opportunity for me to downsize towards the end on purpose and live closer to the city in Brooklyn or Queens for the last year and enjoy that experience before I relocate.
In that case focus on getting experience with the best possible companies in your industry. If you have to commute for that, so be it.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:21 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Its time to switch your career if you can’t make $100k in the nyc metro area. Find a skilled trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
How many of them are self employed? How many of them work for corrupt local governments?

Old 10-19-2020, 05:02 PM

150 posts, read 109,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Its time to switch your career if you can’t make $100k in the nyc metro area. Find a skilled trade.
******* rich and privileged people.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Not at all. Are you scared to work with your hands and get a little dirty?

If not go learn a skilled trade and make $100k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
******* rich and privileged people.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:59 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:

Agreed. Anything less than 100 is a waste of time and life going to the city.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:11 PM

150 posts, read 109,994 times
Quote:

And who’s supposed to do the millions of jobs that don’t earn 100k? Million of 100k trade jobs opening up for everyone to fill those positions.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
30k min if I can walk from a Lirr stop. 60k starting if I have to get on a subway. I have worked in the city for the last 9-10 years. I have the rule of 1. I take one mode of transportation after my car that’s not my legs, I don’t bother. If I was you it would be more. I’m in western Suffolk but take a train from Nassau as it’s same distance to my Suffolk train by car and cheaper fare with more service.
Same. I dont use the subways. I have never. I have legs ... seems so silly

Old 10-20-2020, 07:53 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I was sick 3-4 times per year by taking the subway. Thank god those days are over!

Old 10-21-2020, 04:21 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would walk when working crosstown from the Midtown Tunnel (and I drove in), but years ago when my office was down on Wall St I couldn’t see walking from Penn on a daily basis, especially when super hot or rainy. That’s 3-1/2 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island