Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 PM

101 posts, read 71,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
Looks like kids in Islip don't do much TOTing? There have been years (back in the 90s) when we've had 80-100 kids. it really dropped after 9/11 and the trend in recent years seems for them to just go to homes or families they know; we've seen kids in costumes just walk by us even though we have lights and decor.
I was in elementary school in the early 90’s and the streets by me were packed. Mobs of people everywhere. People used to stand on their front lawns handing out candy because there was a continuous line of kids. Before you could shut the door there were more people. And it was from when school let out until at least 10pm. Now there are years you wouldnt even know it was halloween. Its a shame but in these times we live in its risky letting young children go to a strangers door and ask for candy theyll later eat. As 10 year olds we went trick or treating without parents. Now you get a dozen kids at most all with parents and its over by dark. I got the jug of costco pretzels like I did last year and that was enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 08:37 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,412,424 times
The paranoia about covid is just ridiculous. I get being careful, but i just don't understand wasting your life you have NOW, hiding. Live your life, before its over from something else.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Its not just covid, trick or treating has been fading away for years. Like Lister said it started slowing down post 9/11. That really made people pay attention to their surroundings and lose trust in a lot of things. Places like schools, libraries and other controlled places hand out candy to avoid the risk of going to strangers houses. 10 years from now the idea of trick or treating at a strangers house will be over. Thats my prediction at least.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:54 PM

How did everyone make out? I didnt get any so far. Went through the neighborhood on my bike earlier and didnt see one trick or treater. Didnt see any houses with bowls of candy outside.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:34 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,170,205 times
Tons on kids came around my neighborhood. Also walked around and would say 75% of the houses gave out candy or had it set up outside.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:42 PM

913 posts, read 887,558 times
We had a good amount of kids come through. Most people had a bowl set out to maintain social distancing. Didn't really get the older kids this year, but really enjoyed seeing the little ones dressed up and having fun.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:04 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
My house only got 4. We don’t put out any decorations or pumpkins. I took the kiddos around tons of kids. Every one was giving out candy some had candy shoots or left a basket. I’m in a very small confined neighborhood with all dead end streets, people are always out over here. Every one was good wearing masks including adults whether answering the door or walking with kids.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:16 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,780,017 times
Tons of trick or treaters in my neighborhood. Most houses just put bowls out.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:14 AM

1,275 posts, read 568,236 times
Went out with my daughter and family. Definitely less crowded than usual. Some houses had signs that they had no candy. Many had bowls or tables. Some had candy out in the bowl or on the table and occupants sitting on the porch separated by a few feet. Saw one lady using an old rain gutter as a candy chute.

Most of the trick or treat crowd seemed to go for the bowls or openly visible candy and didn't knock on many doors.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:33 AM

855 posts, read 453,032 times
Took my 30 month old trick or treating for the first time yesterday. Saw a number of other trick or treaters. I'd say half the houses participated in either handing out candy or leaving bowls out.

I can understand being a little shaken by COVID but cannot understand being such a soft little pansy that you don't even answer the door and hand out candy when you're obviously home nuless you're 70+ in age. Our kids have suffered enough. How do these people even get on with their lives, go to work, get gas, shop for food, etc, while being such pansies they can't even hand out candy. It's not like you're inviting the kids into your living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island