Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 02:33 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Took my 30 month old trick or treating for the first time yesterday. Saw a number of other trick or treaters. I'd say half the houses participated in either handing out candy or leaving bowls out.

I can understand being a little shaken by COVID but cannot understand being such a soft little pansy that you don't even answer the door and hand out candy when you're obviously home nuless you're 70+ in age. Our kids have suffered enough. How do these people even get on with their lives, go to work, get gas, shop for food, etc, while being such pansies they can't even hand out candy. It's not like you're inviting the kids into your living room.
I am no longer a LI'er, but for the first time since I live here, I did not hand out candy. God willing I will be able to next year. I can assure you that while I am a little less than 70, I am not a pansy. That said, I will explain, I go to the store during the early morning hours. They are still counting entrances into the stores here. I take a wipe and scanner and I check out my own groceries and bag them. I use my phone to pay, so I don't have to take a card out. I am retired so I don't have to worry about working and as far as gas goes, our pumps have disposable gloves so I use them and my phone. I have not been out to dinner since March, but we have had take out. This summer we had some friends over on the deck and sat apart from each other. I live in a resort area, so tons of out of state visitors come here and I prefer to be safe.

You may think I am a pansy, but if I get sick are you gonna drop what you are doing to care for me? No, nor would I expect you to, but my DH will have to and vice versa. I prefer to be safe and take only chances I need to.

So, unless things on LI have changed, giving out candy is an optional activity, and as such, it remains a personal choice. There are many people who for any number of reasons, CHOOSE, not to give out candy and that too is their right. Your 30 month old, (who I might add will not be able to eat much of the candy given out), will not remember this year trick or treating anyway. You would be better to be honest about your beef with 1/2 the people and say that you wanted the candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 06:36 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
Quote:
I'm taking my son trick or treating for the first time.

Neighbors better have their candy ready.
And ...?

Old 11-01-2020, 07:43 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
In my neighborhood many people set up tables or bowls but, some also gave out by hand. I can see some variation of no contact treat or treating taking off in the future.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:55 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Absolutely not. We are not buying candy and not opening the door and really do not expect anyone except maybe some teens to be out trick or treating. The grandkids will be home and the kids will be watching Halloween movies, carving pumpkins, making caramel apples, jumping in raked leaves, bobbing for apples and just doing fun, family things with them instead. We will be visiting them with treats and taking photos. I suspect it might start a new family tradition.
A good old-fashioned Halloween - That sounds like so much fun!

Old 11-02-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Took my 30 month old trick or treating for the first time yesterday. Saw a number of other trick or treaters. I'd say half the houses participated in either handing out candy or leaving bowls out.

I can understand being a little shaken by COVID but cannot understand being such a soft little pansy that you don't even answer the door and hand out candy when you're obviously home nuless you're 70+ in age. Our kids have suffered enough. How do these people even get on with their lives, go to work, get gas, shop for food, etc, while being such pansies they can't even hand out candy. It's not like you're inviting the kids into your living room.
Incredible. Everyone has suffered enough. Yet somehow you think everyone else has a moral responsibility to ensure that your child has a happy Halloween. Are you serious? You don't know what anyone's situation is. Many people have lost jobs, can't pay their mortgages, are suffering from isolation and depression, have elderly parents they help care for. But they should put their problems aside to hand your 2-1/2 year old candy. Look around. It's not all about you.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:58 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Incredible. Everyone has suffered enough. Yet somehow you think everyone else has a moral responsibility to ensure that your child has a happy Halloween. Are you serious? You don't know what anyone's situation is. Many people have lost jobs, can't pay their mortgages, are suffering from isolation and depression, have elderly parents they help care for. But they should put their problems aside to hand your 2-1/2 year old candy. Look around. It's not all about you.
Well said!

Old 11-02-2020, 05:36 PM

855 posts, read 451,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Cry some more.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Cry some more.
Whine some more.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:11 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Don’t waste another minutes this selfish individual is also indicating she will run her gas blower as she sees fit because I guess her neighbors have no rights either. Lost cause. Not wasting another letter in reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island