Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 2,747 times

Advertisements

So one of our wonderful neighbors called code enforcement on us while we were having an egress window put in. We didn’t get a permit and the violation says to cease and desist within 10 days. So when the inspector came the egress window was basically complete. What are my options? I have all the paperwork for the permit as of today. We are in the process of finishing our basement and I can not allow an inspector inside. How can I get around that? Gotta love the TOH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 05:32 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just815 View Post
So one of our wonderful neighbors called code enforcement on us while we were having an egress window put in. We didn’t get a permit and the violation says to cease and desist within 10 days. So when the inspector came the egress window was basically complete. What are my options? I have all the paperwork for the permit as of today. We are in the process of finishing our basement and I can not allow an inspector inside. How can I get around that? Gotta love the TOH
You can't really. Since it is a violation he will insist on seeing how it is finished inside. Once the permit papers are filed they will send an inspector to see it and sign off on it.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 561,998 times
So you started obvious construction and are upset at your neighbor for alerting the authorities because you are doing more extensive construction on top of it?

Get the permits. It's not just a money grab by the government; it's about making sure your house won't collapse. Also, local township doesn't create the permit requirement, that comes from the state.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:35 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Why did you get a permit if you didn't want to let anyone inside??? That makes no sense. Now that you have a permit it will be open till it's inspected.

Who is finishing the basement? If it's a contractor you probably won't have any problems getting it permitted.

I mean you have an egress window. People don't put those in unfinished basements, it's a dead give away pretty much.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,747 times
When I say finishing our basement I’m talking about insulation and Sheetrock. The floors are still cement. We wanna make into a play area with a TV and couch. My husband is afraid of fires & wanted us to have a exit out. I’m sorry but I don’t see anything wrong with wanting an egress for safety.
PS when we bought the home the basement had paneling and carpet in the basement.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Your neighbor is a Genuine Piece of turd. You should get a drill with a silencer and put a hole in his oil pan. Or maybe go get some 2ft Mary Jane plants put them in his yard and call 9-1-1. Serious revenge is needed. You put it an egress window, you didn’t add a room or another level. No need to report you.

I had a clown neighbor report me for nonsense. When he wanted to extend his den and build a kitchen so he could have a mother daughter. I got a letter since I was within 100ft. I contested it and he won eventually, it took 10 months and his lawyer had to show up at town hall 3x for variance hearings. What comes around goes around.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:27 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
When I say finishing our basement I’m talking about insulation and Sheetrock. The floors are still cement. We wanna make into a play area with a TV and couch. My husband is afraid of fires & wanted us to have a exit out. I’m sorry but I don’t see anything wrong with wanting an egress for safety.
PS when we bought the home the basement had paneling and carpet in the basement.
That's probably going to be considered finished in the eyes of the town.

No one said the egress window was a bad idea.

Is this Hempstead or Huntington?

Old 10-28-2020, 05:01 AM

1,263 posts, read 561,998 times
It is finished space, and there are way more variables than just throwing up some studs and sheetrock.

Does the room even meet requirements to be habitable space? Height, light, ventilation? Is the framing properly anchored and space so as to support the load of the finishes? Insulated in accordance with the latest energy conservation code? Did the materials you used meet minimum requirements for safety? Is there artificial heat and/or AC, because now your basement may be in the conditioned space and require energy efficiency testing of the whole house and duct system. Did you notch the hell out of the studs to run electric? Was that installed according to electric code? Was it verified by a certified electrical inspection company? Who designed the egress window? Did Bob from Windows R Us just show up and start cutting into the foundation?

These are just some of the reasons the state decided that building permits are required for all but 12 kinds of work.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
When I say finishing ...
YOUR intended use of the space isn't the issue that concerns the town (&neighbors).
It's about some OTHER or future use that the improved space can ALSO be good for.
Top of that list is the ADU and other similar sleeping spaces.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:23 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
You are missing the point, no one disagrees that you need the egress for safety reasons. The point is you are putting a "legal" window into an illegal space. I don't really mean illegal in the truest sense of the word, but maybe you now can see why. Put differently, you are adding space that you will use to play in and watch TV, but you don't think that should be checked to see if it is to code? Are you adding heat?

Let me ask you if you would be willing to drive over the Verrazano bridge if the state had some people build it and not have plans submitted and approved and inspected.? Sort of the same principle.

I understand that you don't want to pay for the permit etc. but, that is why you now have problems. Not because of the widow itself which is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: