Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 04:36 AM

412 posts, read 289,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
STAY away from Sassafras!!!!!!!!!! They multiply like rabbits and look horrible.
I love them in a wooded setting. Unique leaf shape, great fall color. They may look out of place in a suburban lawn/concrete type setting. But great in a naturalized wooded area. They're native and belong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 06:49 AM

78 posts, read 66,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
That tree should have been a prime candidate for cabling.
I had thought the same thing! The arborist pointed out a large rotted area in the center.
The previous owners really neglected this property

This all started because I just wanted to get the trees pruned and cleaned up.
Now I've got a massive landscaping project I wasn't planning on.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:53 AM

78 posts, read 66,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Native trees? Wonderful!

Oaks... Red/Silver Maples (not Norway), for evergreen look for Eastern Red Cedar...though they tend to be a little informal looking...depends on your setting. Cornus Florida is a native dogwood. Sassafras. Black Walnut. Eastern White Pine.

The options are endless!
I'm a big fan of black walnut trees anywhere that cars don't park.
I'll probably do some black walnut, eastern red cedar, and maybe a few fruit trees.

I'd like to stay away from the generic leyland cyprus and green giants if I can. I need to see how the rest of the property fills out and plan for next year too.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:39 AM

21 posts, read 16,705 times
Sounds like the OP gathered a large enough sample size of the Asian population who live in L.I. to determine that targeted sub-ethnic groups are carrying out these activities. How it was determined is beyond me, perhaps the OP understands their native language to make such remarks.

I love nature and everything it has to offer, but I don't agree this is a big deal since every homeowner has the right to do as they wish, assuming they are following the rules set forth by their town and respecting the surrounding land’s legal boundaries.

One thing I do consider at the top of my new house search are no big trees due to potential falling limps, property damage, fire/electrical dangers with overhead lines, and pest issues. On the other hand, if I made the sacrifice to purchase a dream house with a big tree attached then chances are I will remove it. At that point, a neighbor's opinion would not change my mind unless they will compensate me for the inconvenience and for any damages that occurs to my property.

Separately, smaller trees and shrubs are a lot more tolerable where they are less risk involved, and at the same time provides shade, curb appeal, and privacy.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:02 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
My new non-asian neighbor just moved in from Queens and cut down every single friggin tree in his property.

At least I will have a better view of the July 4th fireworks my town does.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
My new non-asian neighbor just moved in from Queens and cut down every single friggin tree in his property.

At least I will have a better view of the July 4th fireworks my town does.
What? You couldn't just climb his trees and watch it? Don't be lazy.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:05 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I cut down 3 trees. Didn’t even think twice.
You must be Indian or Chinese

I also cut a tree down. Why? Bc it was old & starting to come down and if it did it would have been disastrous. I did my neighborhood a favor

Old 04-15-2021, 01:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
New neighbors moved in last month across the street. Three trees down in yard the first week. Not my business and has no effect on me. Just reporting the news.
Thanks for the update

Old 04-15-2021, 02:30 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
If I never see another Leyland Cypress or arborvitae again I would not be upset.
They stir the same emotion I get from pvc fence, vinyl siding, and concrete.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:03 PM

412 posts, read 289,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
If I never see another Leyland Cypress or arborvitae again I would not be upset.
They stir the same emotion I get from pvc fence, vinyl siding, and concrete.

My neighbors who tore down 50 trees put in Leyland Cypress.....and a single bird feeder.

I dunno how birds survived in the wild before humans were around to decimate their homes and food sources and set up a bird feeder!

I look a Google street view of my street from 2012...compared to now...and the "improvements" have sapped much of the character, shade, and lush green look for the surrounding properties. And I'm not talking about trees that were a danger to houses.

People can do what they want, but we can lament the tackiness of their choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island