Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:03 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,402 times

Advertisements

I am Indian but live down south after having grown up in Smithtown. My nickname in the neighborhood is "brown tree cutter."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 01:14 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Sorry I directed my message to Chinese and Indians. I have nothing against them as races. In fact the indian is one of my favorite cultures and love to have them as my neighbors.

With that said, there's a large influx of chinese and indians where I leave so it just happened that those who cut trees were Indians and Chinese. I apologize.

So to ANYONE moving in: Don't cut trees please.
Since this will go on for 72 more pages, just change it to "don't cut HEALTHY trees please."

Old 11-18-2020, 06:17 PM

615 posts, read 448,235 times
My post gets deleted too, because "it might be offensive to some readers".
Some people live to be offended. As Ole Joe would say, Come On, Man!!

Old 11-18-2020, 09:56 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Listen, I'm Chinese and OP ain't wrong.

Non westernized Chinese seem to hate trees. They have no problems cutting down big beautiful healthy trees.

I'm first gen american so I love my trees. And the dying trees that I have cut down I at least personally split into logs for my wood burning fire place insert.

When I first moved to my house in East Hills, my mom advised me to cut all the trees in my front yard. Hell no.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:05 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,453 times
For all the tree haters, please have a read: https://www.brightview.com/resources...2012%20percent.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
For all the tree haters, please have a read: https://www.brightview.com/resources...2012%20percent.
Almost none of that applies to diseased, overgrown, non-native trees used for century old urban development. And better yet, it's promo material for a landscaping company, one that likely sells trees. lmfao

Old 11-19-2020, 10:04 AM

983 posts, read 724,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Almost none of that applies to diseased, overgrown, non-native trees used for century old urban development. And better yet, it's promo material for a landscaping company, one that likely sells trees. lmfao
Could you explain to me what an overgrown tree is? I keep hearing that and personally think it's BS.
Maybe they didn't plan well its placement. But overgrown? No such thing.
I understand cutting branches. Not the whole tree though.

Also cutting a tree just because it's not native to the area? C'mon.

Then you have those who are afraid it'll fall on their house. If we all think like that we better remove absolutely every tree on Long island. BC they can fall when a car is passing by or whatever.
It's an irrational fear and one that you need to think if you can live with BEFORE you move into a wooded area.

And finally the insurance companies requesting trees to be cut. Of course they will ask for that. They only care about their money. Give your business to an insurance company that cares about our environment.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
This thread is live action for me. The town is removing a tree across the street on the egress. During the last storm 30% of it got ripped off and crushed a fence.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:56 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Trees make leaves.
Leaves make your yard messy.
Then people show up at 6AM on a Saturday with big block leaf blowers with dual exhaust a 4bbl carb and 4 on the floor.
Then everyone complains.
That’s why trees are bad.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Could you explain to me what an overgrown tree is? I keep hearing that and personally think it's BS.
Maybe they didn't plan well its placement. But overgrown? No such thing.
I understand cutting branches. Not the whole tree though.

Also cutting a tree just because it's not native to the area? C'mon.

Then you have those who are afraid it'll fall on their house. If we all think like that we better remove absolutely every tree on Long island. BC they can fall when a car is passing by or whatever.
It's an irrational fear and one that you need to think if you can live with BEFORE you move into a wooded area.

And finally the insurance companies requesting trees to be cut. Of course they will ask for that. They only care about their money. Give your business to an insurance company that cares about our environment.
Science. Not every tree is a redwood and all have different projected life spans even if treated immaculately it's whole life. Older trees suffer rot, cancers, age related issues like everything else. If the life span is 40-60 years before they are KNOWN to be dangerous, wouldn't you say an 80 yr old tree might be "overgrown?" The problem is you cant see the disease and rot so easily much of the time (or who BUT the individual homeowner has time to look and care) and we don't find out until the next storm takes out houses and power lines.

This is a silly moot topic anyway. Another goofy LI entitled whiner fest. Remove the danger trees and replace them with NATIVE, hearty growing 200+ year old trees. The homeowner can make that cost decision. Bill Levitt (and most other developers) when slapping this suburban dump up, bought cheaper, non-native trees to keep the home prices cheap. Most of the southern half of LI had NO or few trees. We never had north shore style woods, hills and trees. We had potato fields. ALL of the trees were planted by developers to make the place look neat. 100 years later, not all of the trees look so neat anymore. Because they are dying. Overgrown, unmanaged and past their projected "safe" life span. Sure they can live longer in the forest, but we aren't in a forest. Our trees are decorative. Until they aren't. Then they become liabilities.

Long Island Trees - Know your Maples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island