Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 03:46 PM

412 posts, read 289,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Science. Not every tree is a redwood and all have different projected life spans even if treated immaculately it's whole life. Older trees suffer rot, cancers, age related issues like everything else. If the life span is 40-60 years before they are KNOWN to be dangerous, wouldn't you say an 80 yr old tree might be "overgrown." The problem is you cant see the disease and rot so easily much of the time (or who BUT the individual homeowner has time to look and care) and we don't find out until the next storm takes out houses and power lines.

This is a silly moot topic anyway. Another goofy LI entitled whiner fest. Removes the danger trees and replace them with NATIVE, hearty growing 200+ year old trees. The homeowner can make that cost decision. Bill Levitt (and most other developers) when slapping this suburban dump up, bought cheaper, non-native tree to keep the homes cheap. Most of the southern half of LI had NO trees. We never had north here style woods, hills and trees. We had potato fields. ALL of the trees were planted by developers to make the place look neat. 100 years later, not all of the trees look so neat. Because they are dying. Overgrown, unmanaged and past their projected "safe" life span. Sure they can live longer in the forest, but we aren't in a forest. Our trees are decorative. Until they aren't.

Long Island Trees - Know your Maples
I had the opposite problem.

Beautiful, native woods behind my house. 100+ feet away from the house. Native oaks and maples (not that Norway Maple garbage - I see you're aware of those, very astute of you, I thought I was the only one!) Sassafras, native Cherry, American Holly, Eastern Red Cedar, Tulip tree, etc. All beautiful, untouched native stuff. Neighbor comes in and bulldozed all of theirs. Their perogative, fine. But now the wind whips through, and I've lost several beautiful oaks, which then fell on and crushed some other trees. It's really sad. In my case, it really is a forest. And now it's been disturbed. The sunlight now pours in to where it never was before...I'm sure there will be invasive vines taking over there for sure. The forest has a good way of managing itself. Disturb it, and you get issues.

But yes, Norway Maple is invasive and a junk tree. Not sure I would remove a young healthy one. But one in decline should be removed and replaced with a beautiful and more hardy native red or sugar maple. Those are gorgeous trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Quote:
Science. Not every tree is a redwood and all have different projected life spans even if treated immaculately it's whole life. Older trees suffer rot, cancers, age related issues like everything else. If the life span is 40-60 years before they are KNOWN to be dangerous, wouldn't you say an 80 yr old tree might be "overgrown?" The problem is you cant see the disease and rot so easily much of the time (or who BUT the individual homeowner has time to look and care) and we don't find out until the next storm takes out houses and power lines.

This is a silly moot topic anyway. Another goofy LI entitled whiner fest. Remove the danger trees and replace them with NATIVE, hearty growing 200+ year old trees. The homeowner can make that cost decision. Bill Levitt (and most other developers) when slapping this suburban dump up, bought cheaper, non-native trees to keep the home prices cheap. Most of the southern half of LI had NO or few trees. We never had north shore style woods, hills and trees. We had potato fields. ALL of the trees were planted by developers to make the place look neat. 100 years later, not all of the trees look so neat anymore. Because they are dying. Overgrown, unmanaged and past their projected "safe" life span. Sure they can live longer in the forest, but we aren't in a forest. Our trees are decorative. Until they aren't. Then they become liabilities.

Long Island Trees - Know your Maples
I realize now this post is slanted towards mid central nassau/suffolk. Not so much north shore or far south shore. There are plenty of lovely woods on LI, but not so many on Hempstead Tpke.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:55 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,453 times
Quote:
Almost none of that applies to diseased, overgrown, non-native trees used for century old urban development. And better yet, it's promo material for a landscaping company, one that likely sells trees. lmfao
I can post more examples, but thank you for your witty response.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:02 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Until just recently I had the opposite problem. Two springs ago, I noticed my next door neighbors' scrub pine was looking a little less than healthy, but gardening is kind of my hobby, so I figured she would see what I did by the summer and remove the tree. It was 30 feet tall. All last summer I looked at brown needles hanging off the tree and eventually mostly just the branches by the fall. She asked me if I thought it was dead. I said, "yes, I thought so." Fall arrives and I had a tree planted and she called the guy over and asked him if he thought the tree was dead. He confirmed, that it was.

This summer comes and I am having mulch delivered by that same guy, who says to me, what is she waiting for she asked me last fall if it was dead and I told her it was. She sees him and asks him again and he said, "Mam, that tree is so dead, even Jesus couldn't bring it back to life." I heard it and could barely stop from laughing out loud. Two weeks ago, she finally parted her wallet and had the tree removed. I was going to decorate it this year if she didn't have it removed.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:06 PM

27 posts, read 19,139 times
Incredibly racist rant against Chinese and Indian races. If my chainsaw chain stayed sharp forever, I’d cut down every tree in my yard. Thank goodness these are only first world problems.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:13 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
I wish my neighbor would cut down the horrible sassafras and scrub oaks on the property line. Ugly, drop seeds, just a pain in my a.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I wish my neighbor would cut down the horrible sassafras and scrub oaks on the property line. Ugly, drop seeds, just a pain in my a.
To each their own. Native plants are beautiful and important. Sassafras is beautiful in the fall. Kudos to you, at least, for being able to identify it! Most people would have no clue. Many of the non-native ornamentals we plant offer very little benefit to the environment and wildlife/insects in the area.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:08 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
To each their own. Native plants are beautiful and important. Sassafras is beautiful in the fall. Kudos to you, at least, for being able to identify it! Most people would have no clue. Many of the non-native ornamentals we plant offer very little benefit to the environment and wildlife/insects in the area.
You would have to be retarded not to spot it. Smells like root beer, ugly, and spawns like a $10 hooker from the Bronx.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
You would have to be retarded not to spot it. Smells like root beer, ugly, and spawns like a $10 hooker from the Bronx.
It would be much easier to note that it has 3 different kinds of leaves on the same tree. Can spot that from a distance long before smelling root beer

Old 11-30-2020, 12:22 AM

450 posts, read 386,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
For all the tree haters, please have a read: https://www.brightview.com/resources...2012%20percent.

"3. Trees Increase Well-Being and Reduce Crime"
Never really heard of that, I think it's opposite. Areas with less crime tend to be better maintained neighborhoods, so you don't just turn a crime ridden area into disneyland by planting trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island