Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:17 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,211 times

Advertisements

New construction is a dime a dozen on LI at this point. Unless the price is amazing, no reason to settle on a house on a busy rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 07:07 PM

565 posts, read 362,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannishcookies View Post
Hi guys, I am looking to buy a house in North Merrick and it is located right on Merrick Ave. I have lived in Queens all my life. My friends were warning me about buying a house on a busy street and the racism thats prevalent in Long Island. I know that anywhere you go there are good and bad people but I wanted to get some honest opinions from you guys as I am trying to buy this house for my family.

Thank you so much!!
Have lived in Queens since I was born in the early 1970s. Would you like to hear about the racism, as a pale skinned white person, that I've faced as has my family? Here's just a few:

-We lived off of Queens blvd in Woodside in the 1970s. My Irish immigrant WHITE dad routinely would be targeted for muggings coming off of the 7 train by guess who...

-I played youth soccer for the Woodside Falcons which was mostly South American kids. I caught all kinds of "ribbing" for being white...but would be considered severe racism by 2020 standards.

-By the early 1980s, now living in Sunnyside, Irish kids were routinely targeted for beat downs by hispanic kids from the area (many that came over from Astoria for "fun"). Quite racist if you ask me.

-Fast forward to North Flushing in the late 1980s. Jumped by a group of black teens on Main. Street. Robbed. We put up a good fight though, for white kids. No news cameras came to get our story.

-Mid 1990s. Gun pulled on us by 2 Hispanic males on the N train platform at Queensboro plaza. Fortunately undercover cops were nearby. That' could have been it for us!

-Let's jump to the 2000s. North Flushing Korean and Chinese owned stores chase out my elderly parents because they asked if the supermarkets carry "American" food products. Think H-mart. Quite racist.

-2015. Pulled over 4x that year by 109pct undercover cops for driving around downtown Flushing "late at night looking suspicious." I guess a white Irish guy must be out drinking and driving at that hour.

You might want to rethink labeling a place like Merrick racist. Maybe it is you that needs to look in the mirror.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 PM

226 posts, read 129,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
You might want to rethink labeling a place like Merrick racist. Maybe it is you that needs to look in the mirror.
Why is it either/or? If you want to talk anecdotes, by far the least welcoming open house I ever went to on LI was in Merrick. There was a black family waiting in line ahead of me, and the owner passively aggressively insinuated that they didn't belong there. I am not in the business of being offended on other people's behalf, but JFC, there is no way she would've asked any of those questions to a white family.

As for your anecdotes, like your traffic ticket threads, I doubt you told the full story for all of them. Especially the Asian supermarket one. There is no way any of the owners or employees would ever chase out anyone, much less elderly folks, simply for asking if they carry "American" food products. They might chase out people if other words were said, but that would ruin your victimhood narrative, wouldn't it?

Old 11-22-2020, 07:54 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,605 times
Quote:
To be fair, the OP didn't paint Merrick as racist. He/she was told it was racist, most likely by people who read the investigative piece by Newsday about real estate brokers steering minorities away from that town. No one wants to buy a house in an area where they would be made to feel uncomfortable. I commend the OP for asking if the allegations are true rather than just believing what they've heard.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:09 PM

565 posts, read 362,902 times
And one other thing, why is it the OP is looking to move from Queens in the first place?

-Tired of bad schools populated by kids of color?
-Maybe a better quality of life with more space since Queens is condensed with people of color? And a huge covid risk?
-Maybe OP doesn't want to be near lots of crime in Queens which is committed mostly by people of color?

It's always so, so , so, so damn interesting how the "anti-racist" wants to live out where the "racists" live. Think about that.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:15 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,605 times
Quote:
And one other thing, why is it the OP is looking to move from Queens in the first place?

-Maybe a better quality of life with more space since Queens is condensed with people of color? And a huge covid risk?
-Maybe OP doesn't want to be near lots of crime in Queens which is committed mostly by people of color?

It's always so, so , so, so damn interesting how the "anti-racist" wants to live out where the "racists" live. Think about that.
Wow. I understand that your responses are the result of your negative experiences, but please try to take a step back and read what the OP is actually asking. There was absolutely nothing even remotely offensive about the OPs post.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,235 times
Quote:

Why are you trying to paint me in a negative picture?

I am moving because I am getting a good deal in the LI area and new construction houses in Queens are $1.5M-$2M. I am asking for opinions not saying Merrick is racist. Queens is not a bad area, I work in the city and Its easier for me to commute from Queens, I am trying to help my parents out and as well get a better deal and a decent size house and I am not worried about Covid, right now everything is getting shut down due to it. I live in Bayside which is a very good area but its also very pricey.

I am sorry if you went through that much racism in your life.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 5,235 times
I live in Bayside which is a very good area but its also very pricey so all your comments about why I am moving are all wrong.

I am sorry if you went through that much racism in your life. I have gone through a lot of racism as well and I understand how that feels, that's why I don't want to go someplace where I won't feel welcomed. Tomorrow, I will go to the neighborhood shops and see how people are, someone suggested that to me earlier. I take in everyone's suggestions man, all love here no hate

Old 11-23-2020, 06:39 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannishcookies View Post
I live in Bayside which is a very good area but its also very pricey so all your comments about why I am moving are all wrong.

I am sorry if you went through that much racism in your life. I have gone through a lot of racism as well and I understand how that feels, that's why I don't want to go someplace where I won't feel welcomed. Tomorrow, I will go to the neighborhood shops and see how people are, someone suggested that to me earlier. I take in everyone's suggestions man, all love here no hate
Look south shore is more red than blue. Is it racist,l depends on your neighbors. Most likely you will be fine. Don’t kid yourself no one is getting a good deal on new construction in Nassau. The taxes on new construction in Nassau are going to be bananas. In Merrick you are looking at 26-28k tax bill after all the dust settles from the reassement. That’s not including the yearly hikes over the next 4 years.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:45 AM

855 posts, read 453,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Look south shore is more red than blue. Is it racist,l depends on your neighbors. Most likely you will be fine. Don’t kid yourself no one is getting a good deal on new construction in Nassau. The taxes on new construction in Nassau are going to be bananas. In Merrick you are looking at 26-28k tax bill after all the dust settles from the reassement. That’s not including the yearly hikes over the next 4 years.
Blue areas are more racist than red areas.

They proudly have made sweeping generalizations of all white people. You'll never see red areas make collective sweeping generalizations of another race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: