Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:45 AM

20 posts, read 23,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweaterweather View Post
Have you considered Port Washington or Sea Cliff (the commute from Sea Cliff can be a challenge, but North Shore schools are very highly ranked)?
I have thought about them but they do seem SO north that commute could be treacherous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweaterweather View Post
Have you considered Port Washington or Sea Cliff (the commute from Sea Cliff can be a challenge, but North Shore schools are very highly ranked)?
We have thought about it but they seem so far north that a commute to a highway would be challenging.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:16 PM

855 posts, read 451,693 times
If you can afford it areas just above 25 in Jericho, Syosset and Brookville area right off 106/107 are nice and you're only about 5 mins away from the LIE and Whole Foods in Jericho and 10 mins from the Hicksville LIRR and Broadway mall.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:58 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Roslyn and Oyster Bay are beautiful, leafy towns with character. Not sure what you'll get in your price range, although any address in both towns oozes prestige. Expect to pay through the wazoo to cover the taxes.

Hey, I'm from the South Shore. Not sure if I should be insulted, or what?

Old 11-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Roslyn and Oyster Bay are beautiful, leafy towns with character. Not sure what you'll get in your price range, although any address in both towns oozes prestige. Expect to pay through the wazoo to cover the taxes.

Haha not personal!! Just seems like it’s always challenging getting to the south shore and in the summers it’s even worse! Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:42 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliannehughes View Post
Haha not personal!! Just seems like it’s always challenging getting to the south shore and in the summers it’s even worse! Thanks for your help.
If you're serious about moving to LI, check the FEMA flood maps and don't leave it to your r.e. agent to keep you informed. The South Shore is far more prone to flooding, although it can happen on the North Shore also. In fact, I live in the desert and flooding happens here, too. In a limited amount.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:12 PM

855 posts, read 451,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

Living in Oyster Bay doesn't ooze prestige. There's many houses in Hicksville/Bethpage which are larger.

Lots of the immediate Oyster Bay area has houses right on top of one another.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:25 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Living in Oyster Bay doesn't ooze prestige. There's many houses in Hicksville/Bethpage which are larger.

Lots of the immediate Oyster Bay area has houses right on top of one another.
Yes. Oyster Bay is one thing (some parts are downright shabby) and Oyster Bay Cove is another.

Plus there is the school issue (OP is looking for excellent schools).

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 11-29-2020 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-30-2020, 05:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Yes. Oyster Bay is one thing (some parts are downright shabby) and Oyster Bay Cove is another.

Plus there is the school issue (OP is looking for excellent schools).
Plus if you’re considering Oyster Bay you might as well also consider Cold Spring Harbor and bypass Nassau’s financial mess.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:04 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliannehughes View Post
We have thought about it but they seem so far north that a commute to a highway would be challenging.
I have lived in NS (Sea Cliff, Glen Head, Glenwood Landing) for 25 years, and it's 10 mins to LIE either down GC Rd, Roslyn Rd. or Willis Ave.

Last edited by kmrlongisland; 11-30-2020 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island