Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 07:40 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

There are a few "facts" that can't be denied.

What ever this virus is, it is more infectious and transmittable than common flu.
There are more hospital admissions connected to this virus than the flu.
There are more people who require more extreme services in the hospital than with the flu.
There are more deaths connected to this than with the flu.

Regardless of how hysterical you think the media is making this, those statements are true. The media are not making the numbers increase, the virus is.

I will say one metric that is not being segmented (that I have seen) is the number of tests conducted to the number of asymptomatic people or the number of symptomatic people. I do think that is an important metric to know.

The other problem is that you could test negative today and not leave your house after that and the next day be positive. So those numbers can in fact be meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 07:46 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
I know folks that tested negative, positive then negative all within the same week!!

How can we take any of this seriously if you can’t even get a correct test!? Something needs fixed.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,663 times
So what’s the bottom line? Screw everyone else I’m doing whatever I want!? Do you hoax folks not believe the numbers in South Korea or other Asian countries that have been able to control it with few deaths? If only just the selfish were affected by this virus!!

Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 AM

I’m far from a hoax folk. I take it seriously wear a mask, wash my hands and try to social distance. But I’m also out living life. Not sitting in my home afraid to leave.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:45 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I’m far from a hoax folk. I take it seriously wear a mask, wash my hands and try to social distance. But I’m also out living life. Not sitting in my home afraid to leave.
Exactly this. I never said it was a hoax. But I do think it's been blow way way WAY out of proportion. Contracting Covid is not a death sentence.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
^ Even if it's not a death sentence for the normal population, you don't want it. 14+ straight days of high fever is what I saw of someone. It isn't blown out of proportion when the numbers easily get high and in turn closes everything because we simply don't want the numbers to increase, causing more to suffer for 14+ days. Having to sit at home for that long isn't fun either. All the warnings in the world didn't keep people apart for T-giving and look at the resulting spike. The coverage is still appropriate - we're not seeing the dire interviews with health workers like we did when it was really bad in the spring.

The roads are busy enough compared to spring that it's obvious people are out living their lives. It's not one extreme vs the other.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:00 AM

20,045 posts, read 20,844,919 times
It’s being handled like the Keystone cops.
Nothing about any of it makes sense. These clowns can’t make up their minds about anything.
Hospitals are overwhelmed out of fear. Just like people lining up for tests.
Why the need to test unless you feel there may be a chance you have it?
And ********** Cuomo moron. Really. Such a useless bag of poop.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Do you know of anyone afraid to leave their house? In my town the Republican Party members were too “cool” to wear masks to the kids outdoor flag football games. This kind of disobedience is what’s fuels this virus.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Of course I do. I know a few elderly cancer survivors that only go out if absolutely needed.

Does your son wear a mask when he plays flag football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Do you know of anyone afraid to leave their house? In my town the Republican Party members were too “cool” to wear masks to the kids outdoor flag football games. This kind of disobedience is what’s fuels this virus.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Of course I do. I know a few elderly cancer survivors that only go out if absolutely needed.

Does your son wear a mask when he plays flag football?
So you don’t know any healthy people that are afraid to leave their home. Me neither.

Coaches and refs required to wear masks. Kids optional. Parents and fans about 150 ft away on bleachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island