Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 07:04 AM

226 posts, read 129,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
My mask is on beard. In home depot, I try gloves on. In take out, I touch the soy sauce.

Males today lack testosterone. Too much reading online and they forgot how people solved problems like these in the old days. People forget what war is.
How's the DIY roofing coming along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 07:12 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
One thing does have me puzzled. Supposedly airplanes are mostly safe. Contact tracing has proven very little Covid spread on planes. People are taking off mask's for food and drink, so why would it be better than small indoor gatherings? Sure no masks indoors, but something doesn't add up IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
You don't generally shake anyone's hand or give anyone a hug on an airplane. Masks are only off long enough to eat your peanuts or little meal. Most airlines have blocked off the middle seat, increasing space between flyers. And (likely the biggest) the cabin air is constantly being circulated and replaced.

Most/none of which are in place in your typical small indoor gathering.
Agreed. Think of a small gathering at home as 8 folks chatting/eating/drinking (unmasked) for a couple of hours or more indoors and at close quarters. Why wouldn't a respiratory virus spread from one person to another in these perfect conditions?

(Folks who are curious about the LI public schools and absence of Covid spread therein usually point to the strict mask wearing as the crucial [but not sole] difference from small indoor private gatherings.)

Old 12-21-2020, 07:38 AM

297 posts, read 196,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
How's the DIY roofing coming along?
Doing it myself next year and paying family to help. I looked at the roofs of "finished jobs" here and was put off by the low quality. America is just not there yet when it comes to housing construction. Give it another 200 years before they catch up.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:41 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,170,205 times
^ Curious in what utopia of a country you are from Punkster?

Old 12-21-2020, 07:42 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,170,205 times
What about the wife? She positive too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I tested positive for it this morning ....

My wife and I were very careful but all it took was a lunch with a friend at a table that was to small last week .....

So yeah ,the virus tends to spread when our guard is down and with friends or family

Old 12-21-2020, 07:51 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,240,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I tested positive for it this morning ....

My wife and I were very careful but all it took was a lunch with a friend at a table that was to small last week .....

So yeah ,the virus tends to spread when our guard is down and with friends or family
jeez that is scary . we were thinking of visiting family (small gathering < 10) for the holiday. No way we are gonna go there now. I'll stay home and look out the window. Hope you are well.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:56 AM

106,800 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
What about the wife? She positive too?
No ,so far so good for her

Old 12-21-2020, 08:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,536,878 times
At what percentage do they shut down again? NYC I believe is below 2% As they shut down indoor dining. Suffolk I believe is almost at 6% & nothing has changed.

You think they are waiting until after Christmas? I think the people would of FLIPPED if they shut it down before then.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:20 AM

855 posts, read 452,859 times
Quote:
I never seen so many people standing outside the Web MD testing sites. The line had to be at least 100 deep and literally wrapped around the building.
Getting tested if it's not a drive thru is a good way to get COVID.

It occurred to me while waiting for my rapid test results a few weeks ago that dozens and dozens of people who might have COVID were sitting inside this same room today, yesterday, the day before, etc.

Drive thru testing makes more sense but you need an appointment.

I've done a handful of tests as I go out and work everyday and have had direct contact with positive cases a number of times. But there's a lot of people who get tested as if it's their new hobby. An excuse to get out of the house.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:32 AM

297 posts, read 196,790 times
Quote:
^ Curious in what utopia of a country you are from Punkster?
Look in northern and eastern Europe. They have a worse economy than we do, but bang for buck their housing quality is much better than the fiasco we have here.

of course we can point the finger back and say well look at your crappy medical system. That's not the point. US is supposed to be a country that always improves on weak areas, and I'm just wondering how long more will it take for them throw out their local discoveries because the houses here look like something youd see in three little pigs cartoons.

Someone just needs to pull the plug and say "We are not building crap anymore. We build something not just to make money, but also so people across the world dont laugh at us when they look at it". We can use that change in mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island