Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 11:42 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx313 View Post
9mos (4yrs?) of looting, rioting, burning, pillaging, taking over city areas (portland, ca, ny) and they're 'peacefully protesting'.

1 day at capital with what was mostly peaceful, no fires, no vandalism (1 window?), no destruction, no maletov cocktails... even when they broke in when that american was shot, they did not look all that threatening, it was wrong but she was not armed or dangerous..anyway... one day of that and the country has fallen on its darkest day? Impeach the prez?

COME ON... this is pure unadulterated media and liberal bias... the likes of which just may be the undoing of our american fabric at the hands of those truly in power (soros and the liberal elite who donate millions to wreak havoc on our democracy)
The Capital building was closed for the pandemic so the folks that pushed their way in at 2:30 as well as those unarmed protestors that followed and wandered the halls are liable for trespassing charges. Of course there will be an investigation regarding the police killing of the unarmed woman (the only shots fired, BTW) etc but I do agree there doesn’t seem much in the way of damage inside the building to justify some of the reporting.

It does seem some of the politicians were scared (erroneous reports of shots fired) and the usual suspects are currently stoking the faux horror.

NYT, of all papers, reports no significant damage in the enormous building at all (a handful of broken windows, scattered papers, broken doors, etc).

Maybe we’re just jaded by the weeks of wanton burning and mindless and violent looting that accompanied the BLM/Antifa street actions several months ago.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-08-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 12:33 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
^ who let Guiliani in here? Isn't there a Four Seasons you should be at?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:42 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The Capital building was closed for the pandemic so the folks that pushed their way in at 2:30 as well as those unarmed protestors that followed and wandered the halls are liable for trespassing charges. Of course there will be an investigation regarding the police killing of the unarmed woman (the only shots fired, BTW) etc but I do agree there doesn’t seem much in the way of damage inside the building to justify some of the reporting.

It does seem some of the politicians were scared (erroneous reports of shots fired) and the usual suspects are currently stoking the faux horror.

NYT, of all papers, reports no significant damage in the enormous building at all (a handful of broken windows, scattered papers, broken doors, etc).

Maybe we’re just jaded by the weeks of wanton burning and mindless and violent looting that accompanied the BLM/Antifa street actions several months ago.
The fact there is no damage tells you what a pathetic "revolution" it was. Real revolutionaries would have killed a few Congresspeople and burned some things. These chinese made banner draped "rebels" strewed some papers and took self incriminating touristy selfies. A low-IQ revolution led by a low-IQ president. Classic.

One more time, that "rioting looting pillaging" narrative about BLM is the phoniest batch of horse hockey ever spoken, but repeated enough it ALMOST doesn't sound like nonsense. I saw the videos of the tactical "dudes" breaking windows and planting pallets of bricks. Clear as day. Same nitwits as yesterday of course. Too stupid to stay off camera...again!

Old 01-08-2021, 12:52 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx313 View Post
9mos (4yrs?) of looting, rioting, burning, pillaging, taking over city areas (portland, ca, ny) and they're 'peacefully protesting'.

1 day at capital with what was mostly peaceful, no fires, no vandalism (1 window?), no destruction, no maletov cocktails... even when they broke in when that american was shot, they did not look all that threatening, it was wrong but she was not armed or dangerous..anyway... one day of that and the country has fallen on its darkest day? Impeach the prez?

COME ON... this is pure unadulterated media and liberal bias... the likes of which just may be the undoing of our american fabric at the hands of those truly in power (soros and the liberal elite who donate millions to wreak havoc on our democracy)
Make no mistake what they did at the capital was wrong. But there is a double standard in the media. People going nuts over this. When Portland was burning and Nyc being looted it was okay to the liberal media because it was for equal rights. The Minnesota destruction was fine in the liberal media’s eyes because of Floyd and people wanted change. Burning down target isn’t going to do anything it make the neighborhood worse. I don’t give a crap what the cause is. Both sides suck, nothing is going to change and all breaking and entering rioting and looting should be punishable no matter who does it, the cause of it is irrelevant.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:04 PM

34,119 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Make no mistake what they did at the capital was wrong. But there is a double standard in the media. People going nuts over this. When Portland was burning and Nyc being looted it was okay to the liberal media because it was for equal rights. The Minnesota destruction was fine in the liberal media’s eyes because of Floyd and people wanted change. Burning down target isn’t going to do anything it make the neighborhood worse. I don’t give a crap what the cause is. Both sides suck, nothing is going to change and all breaking and entering rioting and looting should be punishable no matter who does it, the cause of it is irrelevant.
Sorry but there is a big difference between Portland, and the capital of the United States. Yeah I said it. And as for NYC, destruction of property is definitely wrong. 100%. But once again, Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton stores are not akin to the Capitol! Smh.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-08-2021, 01:10 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,581,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I don't really know what different people use to obtain their news media, but the protests and riots across the country this past Summer were fairly well covered by the outlets I rely upon (it starts with NPR and I'll cherry pick from the major networks).

Most of the people I associate with who, like me, are steadfast in support of actions aimed at ending systemic racism, viewed the looting with a critical eye. Toppling Confederate statues is very different from smashing windows at retail establishments, and then either vandalizing or looting those establishments. And while I choose to believe that many of the looting instigators were opportunistic and not likely associated with the groups coordinating the protests, nonetheless it was wrong and dulled the potency of the moment.

But again, actions stemming from a movement to address unfair and occasionally deadly treatment of people based on their skin color is a world away from violence and aggressive actions taken based on an abuse of power, a steady stream of lies and an attempt to usurp our Constitution. I don't think the news media got that part wrong, at all.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:34 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I don't really know what different people use to obtain their news media, but the protests and riots across the country this past Summer were fairly well covered by the outlets I rely upon (it starts with NPR and I'll cherry pick from the major networks).

Most of the people I associate with who, like me, are steadfast in support of actions aimed at ending systemic racism, viewed the looting with a critical eye. Toppling Confederate statues is very different from smashing windows at retail establishments, and then either vandalizing or looting those establishments. And while I choose to believe that many of the looting instigators were opportunistic and not likely associated with the groups coordinating the protests, nonetheless it was wrong and dulled the potency of the moment.

But again, actions stemming from a movement to address unfair and occasionally deadly treatment of people based on their skin color is a world away from violence and aggressive actions taken based on an abuse of power, a steady stream of lies and an attempt to usurp our Constitution. I don't think the news media got that part wrong, at all.
You need to study those videos a a little better to notice the white guys breaking random store windows and the brand new palletized brick deliveries that magically happened at the start of the protests...then add the out of town, armed agitators. Narratives are fun. Anybody can spin one. Not everyone can defend one. I'm not saying you, but denying the truth and ignoring the part of the story with a guy getting knee'd to death by a cop on national TV and comparing it to armed insurrectionist morons storming the Capitol for NOTHING (they certainly can't articulate it) is just folly.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:20 PM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

Have you even heard of Antifa? When the combo Antifa/BLM riots hit New York (and not too many confederate statues are in NY ) and destroyed (yes, destroyed) 450 businesses and torched over 50 police cars and sent over 100 cops to the hospital the political Left was not overly concerned. This was in NYC alone. (NPR may have covered it and labelled it as 'mostly peaceful' protests related to the killing of George Floyd). This was in May and June. That may help you understand the reactions in some quarters to Wednesday's events.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-08-2021 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 03:17 PM

5,845 posts, read 2,967,245 times
The system is rigged folks. Democracy is the tale they tell the poor. Antics, Blm, all just noise to distract.
Back to doing business as usual. That’s what America has always been about and always will be.
People just got a bot over edited thinking the country is theirs, but the truth is it belongs to a circle of few and we are not in it.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:18 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sorry but there is a big difference between Portland, and the capital of the United States. Yeah I said it. And as for NYC, destruction of property is definitely wrong. 100%. But once again, Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton stores are not akin to the Capitol! Smh.
There is no difference between Portland and the capitol both are property. LV or the capital doesn’t matter who owns it destruction of property is the same no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island