Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 09:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I like going through the online guide and picking something there.
My inlaws are the same way. But as they use Prime and Netflix they’re not only switching providers to watch cable TV they’re switching devices. They use Apple TV for one and the cable box for the other.

When they move I’m going to set them up with Hulu Live TV (which does have a guide) and then they just need Apple TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 02:30 PM

20 posts, read 54,432 times
Question.. My cable bill includes a ridiculous amount of fees and taxes making it difficult for me to compare it to streaming services. Did these additional costs decrease when you "cut the cord"?

Old 01-29-2021, 10:29 PM

16 posts, read 9,360 times
24.95 CV Woodbury basic no tv no phone
Regular cord cutter package no promtional experation date
Purchased compatable modem off web save $5 monthly modem rental skipped
Free wifi router & floppy mouse pad style antenna

Grey hoverman bent from two 53 inch conductors 3.5 inches apart zip tied to a piece of plexi hung in attic
home depot channel master matching transformer from depot web order counter pick up

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-...4444/203763061

https://www.google.com/search?q=grey...8MOSW_NVYxXz2M

Tv $0 a month

Old 01-30-2021, 06:29 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
Im someone who doesnt always know what she wants to watch so i need a guide also. I couldnt just do netflix. We have netflix for movies & hulu live for “tv” which also includes movies so i can still watch my weekly tv shows & then scroll & see what else is on. It’s cool

Old 01-30-2021, 06:41 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,149,829 times
I am not a tv person, I watch 3 shows and that is it. DH LOVES tv. We have netflix for him. We just found out that we have been paying for the upper tier when all we needed was the basic. We were told way back when, that if you wanted to stream on more than one device you needed the upper tier. Of course they never told us that it meant "at a time". So if you like us, are paying for multiple devices and only using one at a time, drop down to the basic plan. $8.99 vs $13.99.

We found this our because a single friend of ours who travels happened to mention that he only pays $8.99, when we questioned how he told me. The very next morning, we dropped the second tier.

It will not be long before the cable providers start to charge for streaming. They are losing so many to streaming services that it is inevitable.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:52 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,768,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy01 View Post
24.95 CV Woodbury basic no tv no phone
Regular cord cutter package no promtional experation date
Purchased compatable modem off web save $5 monthly modem rental skipped
Free wifi router & floppy mouse pad style antenna

Grey hoverman bent from two 53 inch conductors 3.5 inches apart zip tied to a piece of plexi hung in attic
home depot channel master matching transformer from depot web order counter pick up

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-...4444/203763061

https://www.google.com/search?q=grey...8MOSW_NVYxXz2M

Tv $0 a month
good to know!

Old 01-30-2021, 09:45 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,152,595 times
We haven’t cut the cord yet but are seeing what it would take. I’m down to one cable box and all the other TVs use a Firestick with apps to access the cable channels we’re subscribed to. So only one TV is hooked to the actual cable connection. We have two years to go on our current subscription and we’re trying out different streaming services to see which, if any, gets us close to what we want.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:26 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriny View Post
We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Youtube TV with the sports add on. When you factor in internet costs, we aren't saving any money, but not having cables running all over the house is nice. I doubt we would go back.
Same, and we have an antenna. As someone noted you can also share with other people. My niece is moving out soon and she and her roommate are going to split with a friend who lives somewhere else.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:04 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
I was on Fios with no DVR service and it was still $150/mo. I switched to 200/200 internet only for $40 and $60 Youtube TV and I love the service. I don't know how I lived without DVR (unlimited) for so long - checkmark a show and all episodes airing (including re-runs) are captured and you can pull it up from anywhere including on the road (like waiting for kids while they're doing sports). 3 separate connections too, so no need for extra STB costs for cable nor are there taxes added on top. I'm never going back unless YTTV raises its prices even more.
The only down-side is the lack of local sports channels MSG/SNY but there are ways around that.

We also have Netflix and Amazon Prime TV included also but they're just meh.

I will agree that it seems daunting with so many options out there but if you ask me, all you need is Fios internet and YTTV. Try the free trial - you have nothing to lose.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-30-2021 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 06:06 AM

246 posts, read 471,285 times
No experience w fire sticks but have heard of them

So in theory, just getting Verizon 300/300 for streaming and fire sticks might be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island