Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 03:49 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Doubtful.
13000 posts in 12 years isn’t too bad when you break it down.
Y’all will miss my obnoxious and sarcastic ass when I’m gone.
Probably not.
You bet we will. Who would believe after all these years, people would still be talking about Walter Greenspan and his hamlets.

Now threads about vortex's and Mt. Misery, they could be banished and no one would miss them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 07:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Why would someone pay $90 for internet only? You don't need Gigabit. Get the $40 (if you using bank payment) to get FIOS 300/300. If you feel that's not enough, get 500/500 for $20 more.
Agree with this. I'm on all day for work and play, with something like 20+ various connected devices in the house (something they claim is important) and my 200/200 (getting 300/300) has zero issues with buffering. They aren't all full throttle at the same time people. And still no 4K available to stream everywhere.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:47 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Why would someone pay $90 for internet only? You don't need Gigabit. Get the $40 (if you using bank payment) to get FIOS 300/300. If you feel that's not enough, get 500/500 for $20 more.
Mostly because they throw kooky incentives at you. For the gigabit it ended up $74/mo plus a $200 gift card plus $10 off phone service. So $84 plus $200 back vs $79 for the 400mbps + phone. I figured take the gig and the cash and in a few months when the dust settles, switch to the 400mbps which I agree with you is plenty. It's just part of these wacky business models they come up with.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:50 AM

246 posts, read 471,183 times
Just signed Verizon, full internet only. Once we start using it, we can reassess what we need.
Using Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon and Disney , will probably add discovery as well.

Only question is sports...if I want to watch, is fubo the all inclusive answer? What if I want to watch super bowl. Hockey playoffs, etc.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Damn. So much effort involved in trying to save money so you can still have your brain melted. Just ditch TV altogether. I know it’s like crack, but the addiction can be broken.
Trust me, you’ll get thru it and you will all of a sudden notice your quality of life is actually better without the boob tube, or boob device.
I spent more time looking for a movie to watch each day,AMZN,PEACOCK,HBO MAX,SLING,TUBI,VUDU,CRACKLE.'BTW,CRACKLE is free and has some decent movies,like Chinatown.
Sometimes when I read,I leave the TV on just for the noise

Old 05-31-2021, 08:50 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,778,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
Just signed Verizon, full internet only. Once we start using it, we can reassess what we need.
Using Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon and Disney , will probably add discovery as well.

Only question is sports...if I want to watch, is fubo the all inclusive answer? What if I want to watch super bowl. Hockey playoffs, etc.
Unfortunately if you want msg your choices are fubu and crazy overpriced att now.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:18 PM

11,082 posts, read 6,912,808 times
These "Kill Your Television" people are seriously misguided. Especially nowadays. There is so much good material out there. It just doesn't get the press it deserves because it's not, ya know, sensational. I have so many things bookmarked on PBS, Smithsonian, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the quality stuff on YouTube and the Roku channels. I am seriously well read, educated and only watch quality television.

If you wanna get rid of your TV, go ahead and do it. But don't tell me to get rid of mine.

Oh and don't tell me i'm "addicted."

Old 06-03-2021, 05:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
^ Yup all things in moderation. Why is everything one extreme or the other? Why are there liberals vs. conservatives at all?!?!?!?!?! Be ob-fricken-jective.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
These "Kill Your Television" people are seriously misguided. Especially nowadays. There is so much good material out there. It just doesn't get the press it deserves because it's not, ya know, sensational. I have so many things bookmarked on PBS, Smithsonian, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the quality stuff on YouTube and the Roku channels. I am seriously well read, educated and only watch quality television.

If you wanna get rid of your TV, go ahead and do it. But don't tell me to get rid of mine.

Oh and don't tell me i'm "addicted."
whut?! Wifey and I have been addicted since 1972.

As for streaming, I went from $195/mo w Opt for everything w/ shoddy internet to VZ gigabit plus FUBU and a dozen other streamers (gotta have MSG) with shoddy internet for +/- $250/mo.

Pros: Not sure. Mostly that I ditched cablevision. Now I want them back. Other pros are no set top boxes, wires, fewer remotes.

Cons: Slow loading of channels, stupid individual profiles (always on my wife's profile when I turn it on), no "last" or back button to last program viewed, too many individualized bills, too many usernames/passwords, too much automated billing (easy to get dinged without knowing it). Too many proprietary offerings. Roku and Fire, etc remotes kind of lame.

It's still in its infancy, we'll see what happens. But for the fanboys and girls out there, VZ was hugely overhyped. My speeds are way slower than I had w/ CV and coverage is weaker. Live and learn.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:27 AM

9,197 posts, read 6,222,919 times
I will gladly pay for the internet and TV package to avoid the hodge-podge of web links, equipment, passwords and log-ins, profiles, changing monthly charges, and special deals for trial periods.

Convenience, thy name is Cable Company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island