Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 10:20 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Wish I could find an experienced antenna installer in Nassau County to solve my Channel 7 issue but surprisingly, they are very rare.
Anyone that can climb a ladder comfortably should be able to install an antenna. Perhaps the “installer” doesn’t want a job so small or they aren’t familiar with how easy it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 03:10 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Wish I could find an experienced antenna installer in Nassau County to solve my Channel 7 issue but surprisingly, they are very rare.
7 is a biatch since they moved to WTC. I still don't think they are on right transmitter, and full power. A proper VHF antenna should get it though in Nassau, as I get it 80% of the time out in Stony Brook.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:31 PM

246 posts, read 470,875 times
Quote:
Decided to cut the cord this week. The impetus was this new Discovery + streaming service. Most of the cable channels we watch are discovery channels. To those considering the move, this is how I set it up.

1. I made sure my OTA Antenna picks up the major networks.
2. I hooked up a Tablo OTA Quad Tuner DVR. Installed a 2TB hard drive in it.
3. I put Apple TV 4K on each TV
4. Apps I installed: Tablo , Pluto TV, Discovery Plus, Tubi, ABC, NBC and CBS Streaming News apps, Peacock, Netflix, Amazon Prime.
5. Programmed a Harmony remote to control all devices including the Apple TV.

This setup works extremely well. I am saving about $40/month and my Verizon bill with Gigabit, phone and taxes is $98. There are two drawbacks: 1. There is no unified guide so you do have to switch from app to app to find something you like and 2. My OTA reception for ABC channel 7 is not as reliable as I'd like it to be.
First off, my cat is named after James T Kirk. So it makes sense that I love your post.
Like you were we are close to cutting and aren’t huge sports fans so going to put pencil to paper and plan.

One thing though, what channels are you hitting with an antenna? Looks to be of little use in Huntington

Old 02-05-2021, 06:53 PM

244 posts, read 669,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
First off, my cat is named after James T Kirk. So it makes sense that I love your post.
Like you were we are close to cutting and aren’t huge sports fans so going to put pencil to paper and plan.

One thing though, what channels are you hitting with an antenna? Looks to be of little use in Huntington
So with the Antenna, I get all the major networks and a bunch of others that broadcast shows from the 70s and 80's. As stated previously, not sure why my ABC only works 90% of the time. I'll probably install a bigger antenna in the spring.

If you don't care to DVR like I do, Locast for $5/month is a great option - no antenna needed. And last but not least, Pluto TV's Start Trek Channel is just great...

Old 02-05-2021, 06:54 PM

244 posts, read 669,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
7 is a biatch since they moved to WTC. I still don't think they are on right transmitter, and full power. A proper VHF antenna should get it though in Nassau, as I get it 80% of the time out in Stony Brook.
Thank you, I did not know they no longer transmit from the Empire State Bldg

Old 02-07-2021, 09:17 AM

16 posts, read 9,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
So paying 24.95 just for...... basic but says no tv no phone. What exactly is being paid for? Internet ?
Yes internet only

Old 02-07-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/d...-vs-m4.122897/

www.antennaweb.org

https://www.tvfool.com

Old 02-07-2021, 01:47 PM

https://images.app.goo.gl/r5pqirJxPdivzCad7

Old 02-11-2021, 08:13 PM

48 posts, read 28,898 times
Friend in Setauket gets all the majors out of NYC/Jersey with a VHF/UHF stacked, 30 feet off ground, 120 feet elevation

Old 02-11-2021, 08:21 PM

48 posts, read 28,898 times
Amazing, many grew up with no cable TV, only the majors and actually had fun playing outside. No LIKE ME LIKE ME, dammit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island