Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 06:54 AM

246 posts, read 470,686 times

Advertisements

There’s a home for sale in my neighborhood that was sold last year to a group home called the head injury Association. From what I gathered nothing could really be done against it and a lot of neighbors are upset at the thought of having a group home in the area.

Up until now, although house was bought last year they never moved in. They simply cut the lawn. They recently realized the house for an extra hundred thousand more but it doesn’t seem like that’s gonna happen.

A neighbor approached me to ask if I would be willing to sign a petition against having a house there. I pretty much assumed nothing can be done about it but what recourse is to neighbors have?

Well I’m not 100% against the idea....I can see a quiet home being of some benefit, however people against it talk about how it can become an eyesore.

Is it possible to successfully get the town to stop them from moving in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 08:55 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
There’s a home for sale in my neighborhood that was sold last year to a group home called the head injury Association. From what I gathered nothing could really be done against it and a lot of neighbors are upset at the thought of having a group home in the area.

Up until now, although house was bought last year they never moved in. They simply cut the lawn. They recently realized the house for an extra hundred thousand more but it doesn’t seem like that’s gonna happen.

A neighbor approached me to ask if I would be willing to sign a petition against having a house there. I pretty much assumed nothing can be done about it but what recourse is to neighbors have?

Well I’m not 100% against the idea....I can see a quiet home being of some benefit, however people against it talk about how it can become an eyesore.

Is it possible to successfully get the town to stop them from moving in?
Classic nimby jerks. There is a group home in my neighborhood. No one would EVER know it's anything but a regular house. Nice house too, well kept, never an issue in 25 years. None, zip, nada.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:37 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,706 times
How much are you as a taxpayer willing to take on to subsidize the inevitable lawsuit against the Town when it tries to deny an otherwise completely legal building use?

Facilities like this are typically regulated by the State. If they are not changing the established use of the property (dwelling) by overcrowding or making changes that would make it anything physically different from a single-family dwelling, the Town has no power to stop the use.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:51 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
The time to act was before the sale. And if they're coming to mow the lawn, seems like they are committed to taking care of it. Be glad it's not a rehab.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM

246 posts, read 470,686 times
I agree it’s nimbyism. Like I said, in my mind, a house with two or three head trauma patients it’s a lot quieter than a house throwing parties.

But my nimby neighbor was concerned that if the house sells again to a rehab house, then it would really be up the creek.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times
Quote:
I agree it’s nimbyism. Like I said, in my mind, a house with two or three head trauma patients it’s a lot quieter than a house throwing parties.

But my nimby neighbor was concerned that if the house sells again to a rehab house, then it would really be up the creek.
If you know who is buying/leasing, their website will tell you what they do. YAI and TBI are both good agencies and will be fine neighbors. Neither are "rehabs" in the substance abuse sense. They offer "community habilitation" (ie group home) for those who are capable of that kind of supported living arrangement, plus lots of other services.

https://headinjuryassoc.org/services/

Old 02-24-2021, 04:16 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,706 times
Quote:

Selling to a rehab is an option for any homeowner, not just another association. He better move into a bunker or somewhere with some acreage if he's so concerned about completely hypothetical future neighbors that may never exist.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:02 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Few bad apples spoil the bunch.
Many of these homes exist and nobody even has a clue.
Yeah there’s been a few that became problematic, but the majority of them are a non issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island