Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 06:02 PM

19 posts, read 17,806 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just curious on how exactly school district works on Long Island? Lets say the house I am going to buy has three elementary schools within the district. Would I know which school my child will enroll to? Do I have a choice? Or it is base on the location of the house?

Also, I am looking at a house that belong to school district only for K-6. Merrick to be specific. Does my child go to the Bellmore Merrick Central for G7-12?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 08:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland34 View Post
Hi all,
Just curious on how exactly school district works on Long Island? Lets say the house I am going to buy has three elementary schools within the district. Would I know which school my child will enroll to? Do I have a choice? Or it is base on the location of the house?

Also, I am looking at a house that belong to school district only for K-6. Merrick to be specific. Does my child go to the Bellmore Merrick Central for G7-12?

Thanks.
In my experience, the most accurate information comes from the school district's transportation department. And yes, it is based on the location of the house, so just give them the address and they'll know what school they'll take your child(ren) to...

Old 03-21-2021, 08:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Merrick is BMCHSD on the 7-12 level, yes. The district is shared with Bellmore. Schools depends where you live. Where in Merrick is the house?

Elem is Merrick SD @ k-6 & BMCHSD @ 7–12

Old 03-22-2021, 10:01 AM

974 posts, read 1,417,618 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Contact the SD office. They will be able to tell you how it is set up. In most districts it will be based on where the home is. For a district with 3 elementary schools, there will be an intra-district map that will divide the district into 3 areas - one for each elementary school. However, please note that this is not the only system that exists. Some districts have all kids in a certain grade going to the same school (for instance K-1 at one school, 2-3 at another, etc.). Contact the district office and they will tell you. Also, some districts may pool certain special needs kids or kids who speak spanish only into one of the schools. Finally, realize that some district make periodic, or even annual, changes to their internal maps, to make sure their several elementary schools maintain proper enrollments. So, you could be looking at a house now, be told it will be ES 1, then buy it six months later, have a kid 1 year later, and by the time that kid is school age that house will be ES 2. So if the district has an elementary school that you absolutely don't want, be very careful.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 17,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Contact the SD office. They will be able to tell you how it is set up. In most districts it will be based on where the home is. For a district with 3 elementary schools, there will be an intra-district map that will divide the district into 3 areas - one for each elementary school. However, please note that this is not the only system that exists. Some districts have all kids in a certain grade going to the same school (for instance K-1 at one school, 2-3 at another, etc.). Contact the district office and they will tell you. Also, some districts may pool certain special needs kids or kids who speak spanish only into one of the schools. Finally, realize that some district make periodic, or even annual, changes to their internal maps, to make sure their several elementary schools maintain proper enrollments. So, you could be looking at a house now, be told it will be ES 1, then buy it six months later, have a kid 1 year later, and by the time that kid is school age that house will be ES 2. So if the district has an elementary school that you absolutely don't want, be very careful.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation and advice. I will absolutely check with SD first before proceeding the home purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island