Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 07:57 AM

690 posts, read 584,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
One hour for you with Zero too little traffic (Unheard of). I’d say 1.5 hours+ for you on an “average” traffic day. Two hours+ on a heavy traffic day (Which is any given day). Snow, forget it! Stay home. For her, one hour on an avg traffic day.

Depending on where in Westbury you move to, if your off of Route 25, it could take 15-20 minutes just to get to the LIE with traffic in the morning.

That commute will get old very quickly! Physically, mentally & financially.
Don’t do it! Get a part time job for the amount of time you will be traveling.
This is dead on. 1.5 will be best case scenario. I'd think long and hard about this commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 05:55 PM

16 posts, read 16,767 times
5 years ago we did similar commute from Westbury - east and west. On most days going to Stony Brook should be under 1hr. You can make 1hr commute to Stamford if you leave at 5am, otherwise it’s 1.5 and up. On a way back it’s harder to avoid traffic for you. As far as I remember, you would need to leave roughly after 7pm to have a reasonable commute time.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:03 PM

690 posts, read 584,822 times
Don't forget the mileage tax Biden has coming! Be sure to factor that in.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:13 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
When I first read this title, as a child who grew up on the water in Setauket , I thought you
meant the point midway between Connecticut & LI in the Sound . That , my Dad always said
was Can Eleven ( whatever that was ) where all the blues and stripers were.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 1,589 times
Thanks for all of the replies guys, this wouldn’t be forever. We’re just trying to see if it’d be a feasible option for a short period of time where we could rough it if it meant us being together rather than the 3hr flight apart we currently are.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay145 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies guys, this wouldn’t be forever. We’re just trying to see if it’d be a feasible option for a short period of time where we could rough it if it meant us being together rather than the 3hr flight apart we currently are.
I would seriously consider suicide before doing that commute.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:33 PM

450 posts, read 386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What the hell kind of jobs could possibly make this worthwhile.
I just thought about this, there is no mid-way point between two states & towns separated by a large water.
Someone mentioned Mineola, absolutely not a midway point. Maybe a house near Throgs Neck bridge, so 1 hour to Stony Brook on a good day (reverse rush) and about 1 hour to Stamford? So Bayside? Maybe Douglaston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
This is a ridiculous commute. Live in CT, and let her take the ferry back and forth to port Jeff. Port Jeff is very close to stony brook so Uber is probably very affordable. If she works anywhere near the university, probably some kind of bus service available.
I was going to mention this too but isn't it going to be super expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Don't forget the mileage tax Biden has coming! Be sure to factor that in.
They said it's off the table, and who has ever heard of politicians changing their mind or twisting things Since gas sales were down (more electric cars) they want to recover tax money to build super highways (maybe our great grand kids will see new roads and bridges)

Perhaps I am not the one to speak as I am considering 3V SD (Setauket/Stony Brook) or Centerport/Northport and I work north of Flushing near cross island parkway.. It's nowhere near OP's commute, but it's a long commute, and I would only do it if I have to work maybe 2-3 days a week in person, otherwise it's not doable every day 50+ miles back and forth.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:44 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
/\ Bayside Queens (near Throgs Neck Bridge) to Stony Brook University right (7:30, weekday) by car now is 70 mins. It can get wildly worse than that of course. The return also can be well over 70 mins. And of course add time for particular location.

Bayside Queens right now (7:30 weekday) to Stamford is 45 minutes by car from Bayside. (this too can get worse) . And of course add time for particular work location.

As far as ferries go, If one lives in Bridgeport (40ish mins from Stamford...could get worse) near-ish to the ferry it could be about 2-hours door-to-door via ferry (depending on the drop off/pick up v using own car situation) to Stony Brook University...each way. Only about 75 mins actually on the ferry but that is just part of the journey.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay145 View Post
You mentioned that yours was an "opportunity" while hers was all set, correct? Not sure what industry you're in, but perhaps you can look harder for opportunities near Stony Brook and live at least in Suffolk to be closer for her. I would never do "work long hours" and have that long commute, for both of you.

If it is that temporary like you suggest, you don't want to buy a place mid-way in no-man's land and then have to move again. Rent first if that's what you have to do.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:24 AM

450 posts, read 386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
/\ Bayside Queens (near Throgs Neck Bridge) to Stony Brook University right (7:30, weekday) by car now is 70 mins. It can get wildly worse than that of course. The return also can be well over 70 mins. And of course add time for particular location.

Bayside Queens right now (7:30 weekday) to Stamford is 45 minutes by car from Bayside. (this too can get worse) . And of course add time for particular work location.

As far as ferries go, If one lives in Bridgeport (40ish mins from Stamford...could get worse) near-ish to the ferry it could be about 2-hours door-to-door via ferry (depending on the drop off/pick up v using own car situation) to Stony Brook University...each way. Only about 75 mins actually on the ferry but that is just part of the journey.

I didn't realize it would take that long reverse rush from Bayside to Stony Brook.. I guess others are right, better shoot for East Nassau, some said Mineola but it seems like Jericho is a better bet, even now it shows 48 mins from Jericho to Stamford, but morning rush could be brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island