Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 1,592 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my wife recently got a job in Stony Brook on Long Island and I have an opportunity in Stamford. We’ve been looking into some midway points like Westbury or somewhere around there but I wanted to get the opinion of some locals. Google maps seems to suggest that it’d be a 45-1:05 minute commute for me even during busy time and maybe 45-1 hour for her.

Is that accurate and do you think it’s doable? We bot work long hours so outside of the traditional 9-5 is that helps. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 12:59 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
You'll be spending a lot of time on the road, but the general vicinity of Westbury (or maybe Mineola area) is probably as reasonable a "mid-point" as you can get. I suggest you stay within close proximity of either the LIE or Northern State Pkwy. Beware of the ever increasing bridge tolls!

Your budget, along with your housing needs, will help you narrow the location options. The higher your budger, the more options you will have. Do keep in mind it's a sellers' market right now and many homes end up selling above asking price - it's crazy out there! I have a few clients who have been "left behind" because they've been outbid several times and don't have the funds to go higher.

Before you start looking seriously, I recommend you get a preapproval from a preferred lender (if you want some referrals, DM me), because once you find something you like, there is no time to lose! Decent homes often sell within a week or less; and when you make an offer, a preapproval (or proof of funds if all cash) is essential to be taken seriously.

Good luck with your job offers and your search for a home!

Old 03-25-2021, 03:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
I’m assuming you don’t have kids and aren’t planning any soon? Otherwise it’s incredibly stressful with you both being a solid 30-45 minutes away and you get a call from the school or daycare saying “your child has a fever, come pick him/her up”.

If kids are in the cards then I’d buy a house a bit closer to one of your workplaces.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:25 PM

82 posts, read 40,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’m assuming you don’t have kids and aren’t planning any soon? Otherwise it’s incredibly stressful with you both being a solid 30-45 minutes away and you get a call from the school or daycare saying “your child has a fever, come pick him/her up”.

If kids are in the cards then I’d buy a house a bit closer to one of your workplaces.
Yep, and start looking for a new job as soon as possible.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay145 View Post
Hello everyone, my wife recently got a job in Stony Brook on Long Island and I have an opportunity in Stamford. We’ve been looking into some midway points like Westbury or somewhere around there but I wanted to get the opinion of some locals. Google maps seems to suggest that it’d be a 45-1:05 minute commute for me even during busy time and maybe 45-1 hour for her.

Is that accurate and do you think it’s doable? We bot work long hours so outside of the traditional 9-5 is that helps. Thanks!
One hour for you with Zero too little traffic (Unheard of). I’d say 1.5 hours+ for you on an “average” traffic day. Two hours+ on a heavy traffic day (Which is any given day). Snow, forget it! Stay home. For her, one hour on an avg traffic day.

Depending on where in Westbury you move to, if your off of Route 25, it could take 15-20 minutes just to get to the LIE with traffic in the morning.

That commute will get old very quickly! Physically, mentally & financially.
Don’t do it! Get a part time job for the amount of time you will be traveling.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:45 PM

150 posts, read 110,347 times
This is a ridiculous commute. Live in CT, and let her take the ferry back and forth to port Jeff. Port Jeff is very close to stony brook so Uber is probably very affordable. If she works anywhere near the university, probably some kind of bus service available.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:48 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
one option is to live closer to Stony Brook , and you can take the Port Jefferson Ferry to Bridgeport, then Metro North to Stamford. The train station in Bridgeport is walkable from the ferry. Crazy as it sounds, many do this daily. Don't drive. Gets old very quickly.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:08 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Abort mission. The both of you are not factoring in snow or heavy rain.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-25-2021, 07:56 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
What the hell kind of jobs could possibly make this worthwhile.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:09 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What the hell kind of jobs could possibly make this worthwhile.
One that pays enough to hire a chauffeur? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island