Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 02:08 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enptguy View Post
I just sent an estimate request to Century, as referenced early on in this thread. It’s been a while, so I thought I’d ask if anyone had any new experience/info to add.
I’m looking to replace my 67 year old tank in the basement; I feel it’s a liability at this point.
My tank is also about 67 years old and just developed a small leak on the bottom. I plan to have it replaced by my oil company. I might save a few dollars by using another company but I don’t have a 40+ year relationship with a company that specializes in removing and replacing oil tanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 04:06 PM

39 posts, read 29,571 times
Any input appreciated- I’m getting an estimate Tuesday morning, and want to be sure I’m getting what I need, and nothing more…
All I can really think of is a new line running from the tank to the burner…
I recently replaced the oil tank whistle, so I would decline that if at all possible.
Do new tanks automatically come with a new gauge? Mine works…
I would decline an extended warranty if offered; I don’t expect being here more than 5 years.
The fill and vent pipes- do they get replaced automatically; is that something needed, or should it be declined.
FWIW, the tank is currently is the basement, and is not leaking. This is a peace of mind possible replacement; the house was built in 1955, so the tank is getting on in years.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 760,356 times
Quote:
Any input appreciated- I’m getting an estimate Tuesday morning, and want to be sure I’m getting what I need, and nothing more…
I recently replaced the oil tank whistle, so I would decline that if at all possible.
I would decline an extended warranty if offered; I don’t expect being here more than 5 years.
The fill and vent pipes- do they get replaced automatically; is that something needed, or should it be declined.
FWIW, the tank is currently is the basement, and is not leaking. This is a peace of mind possible replacement; the house was built in 1955, so the tank is getting on in years.
Thanks for any thoughts.
My quote 2 months ago was 2950 from a reputable company. 2750 from a random company. new lines including fill and vent and new gauge. Tank removed also. Standard warrant that was included with tank. I got reputable company down to 2750 to match. 275 gallon double wall tank. Just so you have something to compare it to.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for any thoughts.
I got a new basement Roth oil tank last week from my oil company. I paid a bit more than the estimates posted in this thread but I wanted to deal with a company I had used for decades rather than shop around and save a few bucks with a company I knew nothing about. Also the Roth tank was about $300 more than the standard Granby tank. It is a vertical tank and takes up less room than the conventional tank.

They pumped the oil from the old tank into a storage tank, removed the old tank, placed new fill and vent pipes, put the oil back into the new tank and replaced the fuel lines from the tank to the furnace burner. The tank comes with a new gauge that looks like a speedometer gauge instead of the old one that had a float inside a glass. It has much more specificity about the amount of the fuel in the tank than the old gauge. I am sure if you purchase a new tank it would come with a new gauge.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
You should spend the extra $125 and get a smart oil gauge on the tank! That way you can see it on your phone without trecking to basement or outside.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:39 PM

Thank you all- this is exactly the info I’m looking for. Any others please chime in.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:01 AM

One of the workers replacing my tank took me aside and said I really should have switched to gas heat. He may be right but my tank had a small leak so replacing it was somewhat urgent.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
One of the workers replacing my tank took me aside and said I really should have switched to gas heat. He may be right but my tank had a small leak so replacing it was somewhat urgent.
Gas isn’t available on my block, so it’s one less thing to even consider. I also plan on being out of here within 5 years, so I’m not sure I’d even recoup the cost before I left.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Gas isn’t available on my block, so it’s one less thing to even consider. I also plan on being out of here within 5 years, so I’m not sure I’d even recoup the cost before I left.
If you are moving elsewhere in 5 years why even bother replacing it now? I know you mentioned peace of mind but if it isn’t leaking why are you concerned now and weren’t last year or five years ago? If you are really worried that it will leak you can have the tank tested by an oil company that uses the TankSure program:

“An annual ultrasonic test (approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) that checks the thickness of your tank's walls.”

Old 05-08-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
If you are moving elsewhere in 5 years why even bother replacing it now? I know you mentioned peace of mind but if it isn’t leaking why are you concerned now and weren’t last year or five years ago? If you are really worried that it will leak you can have the tank tested by an oil company that uses the TankSure program:

“An annual ultrasonic test (approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) that checks the thickness of your tank's walls.”
Yeah, I’ve been saying 5 years for 7 or 8 years now… And been thinking about this for a while. A neighbor’s developed a leak recently, which has given me the impetus. I will certainly look into the TankSure testing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: