Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 01:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
One of the workers replacing my tank took me aside and said I really should have switched to gas heat. He may be right but my tank had a small leak so replacing it was somewhat urgent.
A tank leak is what made me switch to gas I never looked back. I just used a temp tank in the interim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 01:38 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
A tank leak is what made me switch to gas I never looked back. I just used a temp tank in the interim.
Can you just replace the oil burner with a gas burner or do you have to replace the entire furnace?

Old 05-09-2022, 03:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Can you just replace the oil burner with a gas burner or do you have to replace the entire furnace?
Some oil units can be converted to nat gas. Gas furnaces aren’t crazy $$$. You can get a 95% efficient unit for under 2k not counting install.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:56 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Some oil units can be converted to nat gas. Gas furnaces aren’t crazy $$$. You can get a 95% efficient unit for under 2k not counting install.
Thanks. I asked the tank guy about how much it would cost to convert to gas and he said $7,500.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:55 PM

39 posts, read 29,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Another good perspective- tomorrow is the estimate. If it’s outrageously expensive, I guess I should contact PSEG and see if my block is slated for gas anytime soon. It’s available a few blocks away…
The issue then is to weigh a tank replacement cost vs. a possible conversion… Any opinions on if there is a premium placed on a home sale with gas as opposed to oil?
So many variables- I’m glad my tank isn’t leaking to force my hand.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
you sure can, especially if its a newer model oil burner, that's exactly what I did. They just change the oil gun out with a gas gun. If you have a really old burner though Id recommend just going for a new one. For me it costed me about 4000 (not counting chimney liner and oil tank removal) that was with converting my oil burner to gas and a new gas water heater. I already had gas lines literally in the room with the boiler however so very little plumbing was required in my case.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:07 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Thanks. I asked the tank guy about how much it would cost to convert to gas and he said $7,500.
I know you said furnace. Many people confuse them with boilers. If you have radiators or baseboard heat that’s hot water navien and Bosch as do others make a combo unit. Hot water and boiler in one def more cost efficient.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:50 AM

732 posts, read 883,072 times
Can anyone send me recommendations on converting oil to gas in Nassau. Boiler is about 6-8 years old. Looking to convert the burner. Need chimney liner, gas line is right next to the oil burner since my water boiler uses gas.

Last edited by ubering; 05-10-2022 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-10-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Can anyone send me recommendations on converting oil to gas in Nassau. Boiler is about 6-8 years old. Looking to convert the burner. Need chimney liner, gas line is right next to the oil burner since my water boiler uses gas.
Should be cheap and quick for you as it was for me, then!

Old 05-10-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enptguy View Post
Another good perspective- tomorrow is the estimate. If it’s outrageously expensive, I guess I should contact PSEG and see if my block is slated for gas anytime soon. It’s available a few blocks away…
The issue then is to weigh a tank replacement cost vs. a possible conversion… Any opinions on if there is a premium placed on a home sale with gas as opposed to oil?
So many variables- I’m glad my tank isn’t leaking to force my hand.
Nah it’s a nice bonus but I don’t think there is any sort of a premium overall. Speaking personally though I’d never even consider a house with oil heat again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: