Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

Good evening,

I received a letter today from the Town of Islip regarding a code violation notice/order to remedy for secondary story deck with stairs. The "Date of Occ" was only 3 days ago. Does this mean the official came out to my house that day or just filed a report from complaints? I don't know why all of a sudden, I get this violation notice. I had it for a while (please don't be harsh on me).

The letter listed a code with four violations, but I do not think I have all four violations. It mentions a doghouse, and I do not have a doghouse. I wonder if it is just a formality to show all violations listed under one specific code.

So I've been searching related threads from this forum, and it looks like nothing good comes out when the officials come to visit the house. I have 3 months from the "Recheck Date." If I resolve the issue (either by getting a permit or getting rid of it) before the "Recheck Date," can I prevent the official from coming out to my house?

Should I talk to a lawyer that specializes in this kind of matter to obtain appropriate permits? Or should I email or call the investigator? Any suggestions/advices are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by purple_sky1; 04-10-2021 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 04:48 AM

1,262 posts, read 561,609 times
Some municipalities have been sending "pre-investigation" notices. Basically a letter saying we've received a report of XYZ and will be coming to investigate and to remove or file now if you have it.

As a homeowner, you have a right to all case documentation for the home and can request it. Complainant information will be redacted but you should be able to obtain a copy of the actual complaint or the intake form filled out by the office if taken by phone. If this ever gets to court, complainant information has to be turned over in discovery within 15 days of arraignment.

If it's a deck visible from the street, it could have been observed on a drive-by inspection.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,715 times
Thank you so much for the reply! I assumed that those town officials won't be 'proactive' about filing a report unless someone called or sent a letter to complain. But I guess it is possible. I am glad the town at least sent a letter with time to fix the problem.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:00 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
People are bored because of the pandemic. Someone may have driven down your street and noticed the deck. With nothing much else to do, they called the town.

You probably should fix it now since you are on notice.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Some municipalities actually check on Google Earth - looking for decks, pools, and other visible improvements.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Some municipalities actually check on Google Earth - looking for decks, pools, and other visible improvements.
Although these may help tip off an inspector, observation from satellite images are not admissible in court as evidence. They need to obtain evidence that is normally viewable, either from the street or other normal means.... you can look from a neighbor's second floor window or elevated deck, but not from a ladder placed next to the fence.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:32 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Google Earth isn’t always current though. In looking at my last house - which I haven’t lived in for over 3 years - I see a car in the driveway I haven’t owned for 3 years!

Old 04-14-2021, 07:27 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Google Earth isn’t always current though. In looking at my last house - which I haven’t lived in for over 3 years - I see a car in the driveway I haven’t owned for 3 years!
You're absolutely correct, but more often than not, once someone puts in a pool or adds a deck, it'll be there for some time...

A former colleague of mine "got caught" this way with his unpermitted deck.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:08 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
You're absolutely correct, but more often than not, once someone puts in a pool or adds a deck, it'll be there for some time...

A former colleague of mine "got caught" this way with his unpermitted deck.
I swear that LI is the only place where the towns and your neighbors are out to get you like this.

In most places doing additional work is seen as a good thing as it improves property values.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I swear that LI is the only place where the towns and your neighbors are out to get you like this.

In most places doing additional work is seen as a good thing as it improves property values.
Long Island is full of people who have notions of how to enjoy their property, and then expect everyone else to conform to their personally approved uses and hours of operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: