Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:17 PM

990 posts, read 829,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Why not just ask to continue to work from home. Do you have a corporate job that you could manage both the job remotely at home and a newborn?
If you have been successfully working from home up until this point, be proactive and propose that to the job. Take days/time off as needed. It's a win/win for the job (someone doesn't have to cover your work) and you (benefit from the time at home).
Are you concerned about what co-workers are bosses may say....these jobs preach about work/life balances so have them back it up.
Do you work in the city and ride the LIRR/subway...whatever feelings you have about Covid, I certainly wouldn't want to be doing that 5x a week and coming home to a newborn.
Thank you. I could def work remotely and manage. I drive and the commute is 1:15 going in and 1:45 coming home ....roughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 04:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,333,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thank you. I could def work remotely and manage. I drive and the commute is 1:15 going in and 1:45 coming home ....roughly.
You can play the game where you say “I was planning to take paternity leave but I know we’re slammed. I just want a few days right when the baby is born and would work from home for the 3 months after”

Old 04-16-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You can play the game where you say “I was planning to take paternity leave but I know we’re slammed. I just want a few days right when the baby is born and would work from home for the 3 months after”
That’s more than likely what I’ll do. May be a few days in the office a few days at home

Old 04-16-2021, 05:05 PM

690 posts, read 589,190 times
Quote:
Well played, I like it!

Old 04-16-2021, 06:44 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
Quote:
That is a good plan. When you want to get something always make it seem like the other party is getting something too, and preferably something better.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:08 PM

So I can do the work from home thing no problem but concerned about the following things they may think
1. Why do I need to be home while my wife is home?
2. Well the rest of the estimators came back to the office and you mange them. How you doing that remotely. My answer is just like I did. But then again that’s when everyone was apart ...now they’ll be together.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:26 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,333,640 times
Quote:
So I can do the work from home thing no problem but concerned about the following things they may think
1. Why do I need to be home while my wife is home?
2. Well the rest of the estimators came back to the office and you mange them. How you doing that remotely. My answer is just like I did. But then again that’s when everyone was apart ...now they’ll be together.
Then take the leave.

If they’re asking those kind of questions then they don’t trust you to do your job.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Then take the leave.

If they’re asking those kind of questions then they don’t trust you to do your job.
I understand. I def not taking leave .
But the only thing I’m wrestling with is why do I need to be home(working)when my wife is home?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:25 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
Quote:
I understand. I def not taking leave .
But the only thing I’m wrestling with is why do I need to be home(working)when my wife is home?
Again if your employer is asking these questions, they have little understanding of work life balance and don't trust you to do your job. Why would a new parent not want to be home? I've worked from home almost 5 years, I'm WAY more productive than most of my co workers ...being productive is about using your time wisely. You can use your time wisely and be a support to your wife and newborn. You can throw in a load of laundry, change a diaper, offer moral support when she's feeling out of sorts and uncertain, call the doctor if there's a question or problem, field calls and texts, answer the door (wait till you see how many packages you get!), make your wife lunch and do errands on your lunch hour.... and not have to spend 3 hours of the day commuting when you could be with your new family. Again, if these things REALLY need to be explained you're best off just sucking it up and going into the office.

Being an "older" parent has its advantages, but it is a MASSIVE upheaval - your entire world is about to be turned upside down in the best way. Your wife is also going to be recovering from a medical event and learning to give up her old life in favor of the new while hormones wreak havoc. Trust me she will like just knowing you are in the house.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:50 PM

1,300 posts, read 581,188 times
May not apply directly to the OP but just throwing it out there: apply for FMLA no matter what your time off situation is. I work for a government agency, haven't abused the time off I've been given and built a nice cushion. I was advised to apply for FMLA with my first child and will do so with my second.

Even though using my own accumulated paid time off, I applied to take time off "intermittently as required to a maximum of 60 days in one year." What that opens for you is the ability to slightly skirt your employer's time off policies... ie. If using time for childcare or medical care related to the childbirth, you cannot be denied time off without advanced notice, or use of certain types of time off (in my case, using my abundant vacation days as opposed to sick).

Even if you have no plans of extended time off, get the FMLA approval to cover 1 year from child birth. You'll appreciate the protection being in place if you need to take off on a whim or go beyond your accumulated PTO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island