Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,053 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have recently decided to start looking for a new home, specifically a co-op. I've lived in a 1 bedroom in Suffolk for the last 6 years feel it's time for a change, something slightly bigger, and more closer to work (in the city) which is something I've always wanted. Unfortunately as we all probably know when it comes to co-ops in Nassau county, Long Island, there's not too many options outside of towns like Long Beach, Farmingdale and RVC. The latter is closest to work and also seems like it would hold value best.

I've been to RVC many times in my younger days and some times recently, but I'm just curious what anyone, possibly residents can tell me about the town these days. (i.e. Have taxes continued to be raised, are the roads well maintained, are values still held well despite covid, etc?).

I do know that like most spots on Long Island the nightlife of RVC has transitioned into more of just dining (i.e. No more Black Thorn or Stingers), but as someone in their mid 30's that doesn't bother me at all. I also know the Diocese has had their problems and are on there way out, but that's not really a concern for me and I don't think it would affect the town much if at all. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 03:12 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
There are also a couple of co-ops in Lynbrook you might want to check out.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:34 PM

450 posts, read 385,563 times
What part of Suffolk are you living now?

Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
What part of Suffolk are you living now?
West Babylon

Old 04-20-2021, 06:48 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are also a couple of co-ops in Lynbrook you might want to check out.
Great Neck & Baldwin also have some complexes

Old 04-20-2021, 10:40 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Great Neck & Baldwin also have some complexes
Yes, there are. However, the OP mentioned Rockville Centre because it would be close to "work" and Lynbrook is one town over. It would help if we knew his budget.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:40 AM

565 posts, read 361,376 times
From a Queens perspective of a 48 year old male, I'd pass. I'd probably have passed 10 years ago as well in my 30s. I just never got a good vibe from the place. Reminded me a lot of Bell Blvd/Bayside area where I lived. A nice enough place but really only to visit for a night out. Too many out of towners (like myself I guess) end up in places like Bayside and RVC on weekend nights to the point you just want to leave.

I would advise anyone over 35 to consider just leaving NY all together. At least when I was 35, there was plenty of nightlife either on LI or Manhattan. Clubs, bars, cafes, restaurants...whatever. I don't see it returning anytime soon. And, trust me, your 30s move quick. Enjoy them to the fullest before you either get married or just too old to party anymore.

Consider Vegas, Austin, So. Florida/Tampa area.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:00 AM

450 posts, read 385,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac0908 View Post
West Babylon
Great Neck, and maybe parts of New Hyde Park?
You may have to venture into Queens but then price starts going up, although you should be able to find a decent apartment since prices are relatively better in the area, but will be climbing as more places open up in the city.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
You may have to venture into Queens but then price starts going up, although you should be able to find a decent apartment since prices are relatively better in the area, but will be climbing as more places open up in the city.
It's crazy how low prices have dipped in Queens, specifically a great area like Forest Hills that I remember being much higher when I was looking years ago. I get the vibe that the city just isn't the "place to be" right now. Can't tell you how many people i've heard who packed up and moved to the suburbs during the pandemic. A real estate agent I spoke to recently said she had never seen anything like the buying boom on Long Island in the last year, with most people moving from the NYC area.

Last edited by Mac0908; 04-21-2021 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yes, there are. However, the OP mentioned Rockville Centre because it would be close to "work" and Lynbrook is one town over. It would help if we knew his budget.
Baldwin is one town over also. Not that Baldwin is anything so spectacular but they do have some condo complexes there as well. Yeah budget would be helpful. Baldwin is probably cheaper than RVC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island