Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 09:09 AM

84 posts, read 46,512 times

Advertisements

Anyone have issues with scheduling TONH inspections? They take forever to get back to you and are so rude in the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM

874 posts, read 728,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datnoids151 View Post
Anyone have issues with scheduling TONH inspections? They take forever to get back to you and are so rude in the phone.

you better be careful, they might "re assess" your home, and you could end up paying double in taxes.

for example, I know someone who bought a home, that was passed through different generations who owned it since the 1930s

the remodeled it and then after it was sold, the new buyer got hit with so many fees because they claimed they never got permits for it but the stuff was put on when you could just repair or remodel your home without the town getting involved

long story short, the new buyer ended up paying thousands in fees, and then the taxes went up from $!3,000 a year, to $39,000 a year

now they are going broke trying to sell it, but nobody wants to buy into a home with a $40,000 tax bill attached to it....

the moral of the story is, a simple inspection, could turn into a financial nightmare depending on your situation

Old 04-21-2021, 03:02 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of the TNH. They were miserable even when it was slow and the excuse then was they could look over and application with a fine tooth comb. I suggest that you call the councilman or woman that represents your area and explain that you have had trouble and would appreciate their help.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
you better be careful, they might "re assess" your home, and you could end up paying double in taxes.

for example, I know someone who bought a home, that was passed through different generations who owned it since the 1930s

the remodeled it and then after it was sold, the new buyer got hit with so many fees because they claimed they never got permits for it but the stuff was put on when you could just repair or remodel your home without the town getting involved

long story short, the new buyer ended up paying thousands in fees, and then the taxes went up from $!3,000 a year, to $39,000 a year

now they are going broke trying to sell it, but nobody wants to buy into a home with a $40,000 tax bill attached to it....

the moral of the story is, a simple inspection, could turn into a financial nightmare depending on your situation
Maybe ill have my lawyer draft something where if the property gets reaccessed, they will be responsible for all retroactive back taxes owe on the property prior to my ownership

Old 04-21-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe ill have my lawyer draft something where if the property gets reaccessed, they will be responsible for all retroactive back taxes owe on the property prior to my ownership
And their lawyers will never allow their client to sigh it.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:43 AM

297 posts, read 132,952 times
Quote:
There is no need too. I dont recall the article but they limit where the inspector can go now for the TONH - the area of interest only. Second to that, with Covid, it makes much more sense that they are restricted to only the areas of interest.

It is easier when you have a contractor call, since they work with the inspectors all the time - mine was on a first name basis. Otherwise it does take awhile to schedule(my friend went that route). Two years ago, my contractor would call up and 3 days later it would be inspected, but only where work was done.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
There is no need too. I dont recall the article but they limit where the inspector can go now for the TONH - the area of interest only. Second to that, with Covid, it makes much more sense that they are restricted to only the areas of interest.

It is easier when you have a contractor call, since they work with the inspectors all the time - mine was on a first name basis. Otherwise it does take awhile to schedule(my friend went that route). Two years ago, my contractor would call up and 3 days later it would be inspected, but only where work was done.
But let’s say the area of interest is the electrical panel in your basement. If when inspecting it they also see the basement is furnished and has a kitchen and bathroom it’s fair game.

Or if inspecting an outbuilding they see a deck, fair game.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:46 AM

297 posts, read 132,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
But let’s say the area of interest is the electrical panel in your basement. If when inspecting it they also see the basement is furnished and has a kitchen and bathroom it’s fair game.

Or if inspecting an outbuilding they see a deck, fair game.
That may have been true but it didn't impact me. I had a washer and dryer that was originally in the kitchen(based off original plans) but moved to the basement. That meant a new gas line and water lines to the washer/dryer. While inspecting my electrical panel, the inspector didn't mention anything and walked right out.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:24 AM

U guys really think they will bring a blueprint of your architectural plans to inspection to do compare and contrast? I highly doubt that.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:55 PM

Simply put yes. Better put, are you willing to find out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island