Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 06:30 PM

577 posts, read 979,740 times

Advertisements

Why do most drivers entering the traffic circle fail to yield to vehicles already in the circle? The yield signs are very visible and now the State even put "YIELD" markings on the roadway yet people blow right through. Very dangerous. NYS Park Police should get on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 06:37 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Why do most drivers entering the traffic circle fail to yield to vehicles already in the circle? The yield signs are very visible and now the State even put "YIELD" markings on the roadway yet people blow right through. Very dangerous. NYS Park Police should get on this!
Combination of those who never learned how to use a roundabout and those who think they have the right of way regardless of the traffic laws.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:39 PM

615 posts, read 448,740 times
Ignorance and arrogance is a dangerous combination.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:06 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times
Took several years and several accidents for the drivers in Huntington to obey the law regarding traffic circles.

The ordinary signs (which really should not be necessary in the first place) indicating “Yield” have been supplemented by signs saying “Yield to Cars in the Traffic Circle”. I guess the pinhead drivers had no idea who should obey the “Yield” signs.

Once in a while some brainless nitwit in the circle already decides to suddenly yield and I’ve seen two rear end collisions .

Still better than traffic lights IMHO.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:39 AM

690 posts, read 585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Ignorance and arrogance is a dangerous combination.
Basically sums up Long Island as a whole.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:14 AM

1,263 posts, read 562,391 times
Right of Way seems to be the first thing people forget upon receiving a driver license. I'm fully in favor of a written test on VTL and Right of Way when renewing licenses.

They've even added signs at this roundabout telling people what lane to be in depending on where they want to go, and people still can't figure it out or simply don't care.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:48 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
The big problem with any traffic circle on LI is the lack of familiarity with one. As previously stated there needs to be more education about how to drive in/thru/out them.

The very first time I had to drive a jug handle in NJ, I thought what a stupid idea. I have come to appreciate the reasoning behind them.

We need more than a page in a drivers ed class to address this.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:44 AM

82 posts, read 40,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Took several years and several accidents for the drivers in Huntington to obey the law regarding traffic circles.

The ordinary signs (which really should not be necessary in the first place) indicating “Yield” have been supplemented by signs saying “Yield to Cars in the Traffic Circle”. I guess the pinhead drivers had no idea who should obey the “Yield” signs.

Once in a while some brainless nitwit in the circle already decides to suddenly yield and I’ve seen two rear end collisions .

Still better than traffic lights IMHO.
and we're definitely still not there yet lol

i feel like i'm taking my life into my hands every time i have to drive through one of them (the two that i know of -- one on new york ave towards the king kullen and the little one by the post office)

Old 05-19-2021, 06:49 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
We've had idiot drivers here way before the pandemic. But ever since the pandemic hit, seems that drivers are way less careless than they were prior. Could be a coincidence, or maybe not. I've seen an uptick in road rage as well.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
This is not just a traffic circle issue. Ever see the idiots “yield” when exiting a highway onto another road? They don’t! They think it’s ok just to come flying off the highway into your lane. Think exiting Sunrise Hwy onto the express lanes. I don’t know how many wrecks I seen by idiots not yielding.

Don’t they teach this stuff in drivers ed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island