Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 11:08 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are hillbillies in Nassau County? I need to get up and see this!

Also didn’t realize LI’s micro climates extended to just Merrick being hot and humid.
Proud Nassau Hillbilly here ... now dagnabbit what did I do with my teeth???

HERBERT HAVE YOU SEEN MY TEETH???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I should tell my cousin Cletus to stop bathing in the front Yard LOL. and I need to remove that couch off my front lawn.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:35 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I should tell my cousin Cletus to stop bathing in the front Yard LOL. and I need to remove that couch off my front lawn.

And just where am I going to sit and stare at everyone in your neighborhood?

Old 06-09-2021, 11:36 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
And just where am I going to sit and stare at everyone in your neighborhood?
you can sit on my tire swing

Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 AM

821 posts, read 775,910 times
I think your post had good intentions but the way it was worded can and did offend people, despite your disclaimer.

If you want fewer Asians and good schools, you might need to avoid Long Island.

Asians will go to where there are good schools and where there are other Asians and will often increase the test scores of that school district thus making that school district "better performing". As you probably know, there is a huge population of Asians in Flushing & Bayside Queens so the natural progression is out to Long Island which will still have a close proximity to Flushing and Bayside.

I'm not sure if you would consider New Jersey, Westchester or CT or if it's too far from your jobs/family. In Westchester, a town that would be good for you would be Rye Brook which has a very high Jewish population. Bad time to move to Scarsdale since there is almost no inventory there and anything under $1.5mm gets snatched up immediately.

In New Jersey, you could look at a town like Tenafly.

Regarding your budget, like what others have said, you could theoretically buy $1mm but that would be pushing it (what if one of you loses their job)? There are a lot of added expenditures with living in a house and having kids in the suburbs. Factor in property tax, monthly mortgage payment, car payments, increased utility bills, activities/camps for kids, the list goes on & on. I would look towards the lower end of your budget as the max.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
so that was your house I drove by??

Old 06-09-2021, 12:05 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
you can sit on my tire swing

Good, will wear my tank top baring my beer belly and i'll be belching the alphabet

Old 06-09-2021, 12:06 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
I think your post had good intentions but the way it was worded can and did offend people, despite your disclaimer.

If you want fewer Asians and good schools, you might need to avoid Long Island.

Asians will go to where there are good schools and where there are other Asians and will often increase the test scores of that school district thus making that school district "better performing". As you probably know, there is a huge population of Asians in Flushing & Bayside Queens so the natural progression is out to Long Island which will still have a close proximity to Flushing and Bayside.

I'm not sure if you would consider New Jersey, Westchester or CT or if it's too far from your jobs/family. In Westchester, a town that would be good for you would be Rye Brook which has a very high Jewish population. Bad time to move to Scarsdale since there is almost no inventory there and anything under $1.5mm gets snatched up immediately.

In New Jersey, you could look at a town like Tenafly.

Regarding your budget, like what others have said, you could theoretically buy $1mm but that would be pushing it (what if one of you loses their job)? There are a lot of added expenditures with living in a house and having kids in the suburbs. Factor in property tax, monthly mortgage payment, car payments, increased utility bills, activities/camps for kids, the list goes on & on. I would look towards the lower end of your budget as the max.

Asians also tend to follow the Jews since we value the same things: education, working hard, making $$$, etc.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:08 PM

821 posts, read 775,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Asians also tend to follow the Jews since we value the same things: education, working hard, making $$$, etc.
This is true. Also, the Asian population will likely only continue to grow in each of these towns.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:14 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Not trying to dimish 250k in combined income - but that's not quite enough to be so picky about where you live, ESPECIALLY in Nassau County. Additionally - if both of you are working full time in Manhattan, your childcare costs may be significant for the first few years. Also, I'm curious how you determined how many people of the Jewish faith live or don't live within Merrick Woods? Not sure how far you can stretch your budget, but maybe you can get something decent in Plainview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island