Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 22,669 times

Advertisements

Yes yes yes... another thread about best towns on LI.

About us: We are first-time home buyers, 3 elementary school aged kids. Our salary is $250K, and budget thinking 800-1.1mm. We are Jewish, not observant, but light candles on Friday and observe major holidays. P.S. Does my budget make sense?!

We want to live in the area where there are other Jews around, some Jewish neighbors, Jewish kids in class, etc. In other words no GC, no Manhasset, etc. Schools are important, but we don't necessarily want south GN pressure cooker environment. We work in the city, so commute will be important as well. My wife loves rolling hills and scenery on the North shore and dislikes asphalt on the South shore.

We "narrowed" it down to many towns...

:::North:::

Great Neck - North school district is fine, but I think we are priced out? Also, heard waaaaaay too many Asians moving in now. Nothing wrong with living next to Asians, but I don't want to live in a place where everyone is of the same race, especially when its not my race. I would prefer a bit more diversity.

Roslyn - commute would probably suck, and we probably also priced out. Are Asians taking over too?

Jericho - 100% Asian?

What about Syosset?

Port Wash - seemed kind of hilly, hippy and ghetto at the same time?

Anything else Im missing?

South:
Hewlett - maybe too Jewish. Ghetto all around, too many shady people if you drive 5 minutes from Hewlett toward the highway. Also, airport is close, probably pollution and other crap. Also flood zone.

Merrick - South seems very Jewish/Italian which what I like, but they forgot to plant trees there. My wife hates that it's all pavement and cars, and always too sunny, no shade, hot, humid, etc. Commute is fine.

Merrick - Woods. My wife loves the feel of the area, but the downside is not too many Jews, and also, a bigger downside is that the schools in Merrick woods are the same as north, and there are some hill billies there, and quite a few blue collar people. I would prefer a bit more white collar population.

Oceanside - flood, Belmore - cheaper Merrick, Wantagh and Massapequa too far plus possible pollution from the plum waters.

Thoughts?

P.S. This post is not intended to discriminate against races or classes of people. I am just stating what I want in terms of living, and seeking your advice. P.S. 2: English is not my first language, so sorry if there are mistakes in text. Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 08:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 760,356 times
250k 3 kids when a 1.1 million budget ? Maybe want to rethink that.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:17 PM

16 posts, read 9,474 times
What’s your problem with Asians exactly? It seems like a trend on here where people openly express hostility toward the Asian community and still get away with it.

Back to your question, I think Great Neck would be the best fit for you out of all the towns you listed. Nice area, lots of Jews ( and Asians, sorry) For 1.1m you probably could get a decent house.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:41 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
There are hillbillies in Nassau County? I need to get up and see this!

Also didn’t realize LI’s micro climates extended to just Merrick being hot and humid.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Syosset schools are like 65% Asian now.

Plainview, Dix Hills, Melville all further commute but have plenty of Jewish people.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:36 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Try Westchester.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:19 AM

953 posts, read 843,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4aplace View Post

... This post is not intended to discriminate against races or classes of people.
Thirteen words designed to provide cover for just about any potentially offensive or exclusionary verbal or written comment (not that your post rises to those levels). You and your wife know what will work best for your family and, for the time being at least, we still have a right to have our say. It seems so perfectly American.

As to the various Nassau areas mentioned, Great Neck might deserve a long look. Best wishes in your home search.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:23 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Catskill NY

Old 06-09-2021, 05:37 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Not all of Oceanside is in a flood zone and you might consider East Hills. It will be a hunt but, there are some available.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:38 AM

690 posts, read 585,156 times
You should probably start with getting a preapproval from a reputable lender. That will tell you what you can afford, rather than asking strangers on the internet. Keep in mind, just because you're approved for X amount, doesn't mean YOU can afford that amount, only you and your wife can decide that. $250k doesn't get you very far here, especially with 3 kids. Best of luck with your search.

Oh, and another thing, if you're bothered by the "blue collar", "hillbilly" type. LI prob isn't the best fit for you. Try Westchester or CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island