Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 12:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Not trying to dimish 250k in combined income - but that's not quite enough to be so picky about where you live, ESPECIALLY in Nassau County. Additionally - if both of you are working full time in Manhattan, your childcare costs may be significant for the first few years. Also, I'm curious how you determined how many people of the Jewish faith live or don't live within Merrick Woods? Not sure how far you can stretch your budget, but maybe you can get something decent in Plainview.
Plainview doesn't have a train station ... not sure how important that is to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 12:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Plainview doesn't have a train station ... not sure how important that is to the OP.
Depending where your live in Town Hicksville, bethpage, Farmingdale, Cold Spring Harbor stations are max 11 minutes.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Not trying to dimish 250k in combined income - but that's not quite enough to be so picky about where you live, ESPECIALLY in Nassau County. Additionally - if both of you are working full time in Manhattan, your childcare costs may be significant for the first few years. Also, I'm curious how you determined how many people of the Jewish faith live or don't live within Merrick Woods? Not sure how far you can stretch your budget, but maybe you can get something decent in Plainview.
Depends on how big of a home they want. A 900k house in Plainview is going to be 20-22k in taxes maybe even 24 after reassessment phases in and is done in 3-4 years.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Depending where your live in Town Hicksville, bethpage, Farmingdale, Cold Spring Harbor stations are max 11 minutes.
True. I'm a South Shore girl so pardon my ignorance but if you don't live in those towns, do they allow you to park?

Town Of Hempstead has one sticker that allows you to park at Bellmore, Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford & Baldwin ... Baldwin also has its own 'Baldwin Only' lot which is a separate sticker. RVC, Freeport & Oceanside each have their own stickers. Not sure about the rest of the towns. Something to think about. The last thing I want in the AM is a mad dash to try & find parking.

I have always found the parking to be great @ Wantagh, Bellmore & Baldwin from my experiences with using those lots.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
True. I'm a South Shore girl so pardon my ignorance but if you don't live in those towns, do they allow you to park?

Town Of Hempstead has one sticker that allows you to park at Bellmore, Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford & Baldwin ... Baldwin also has its own 'Baldwin Only' lot which is a separate sticker. RVC, Freeport & Oceanside each have their own stickers. Not sure about the rest of the towns. Something to think about. The last thing I want in the AM is a mad dash to try & find parking.

I have always found the parking to be great @ Wantagh, Bellmore & Baldwin from my experiences with using those lots.
Bethpage and Hicksville, Plainview people can park its one sticker for all of Oyster Bay. Farmingdale is Oyster Bay its a village so you can't get a sticker and CSH is in town of Huntington. CSH is only an option if you live at the end of Plainview bordering Woodbury and Huntington. Farmingdale, only the people in Old Bethpage (same SD) consider this station . Most use Hicksville as it always has trains. In the past when I had a sticker once in a blue moon when trains where broken I would go to the Babylon line and park at Massapequa still (oyster bay)

Old 06-09-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Bethpage and Hicksville, Plainview people can park its one sticker for all of Oyster Bay. Farmingdale is Oyster Bay its a village so you can't get a sticker and CSH is in town of Huntington. CSH is only an option if you live at the end of Plainview bordering Woodbury and Huntington. Farmingdale, only the people in Old Bethpage (same SD) consider this station . Most use Hicksville as it always has trains. In the past when I had a sticker once in a blue moon when trains where broken I would go to the Babylon line and park at Massapequa still (oyster bay)
Interesting. Thanks.

Plainview is ehhh, lol. Nothing exciting about it except the 24 hr bagel boss. Regular run of the mill, basic Long Island town.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks.

Plainview is ehhh, lol. Nothing exciting about it except the 24 hr bagel boss. Regular run of the mill, basic Long Island town.
Can say the same about 85% of LI towns. The bagel boss is in Hicksville! That side of the road is Hicksville, across the street is Plainview!

Old 06-09-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Can say the same about 85% of LI towns. The bagel boss is in Hicksville! That side of the road is Hicksville, across the street is Plainview!
LOL you're right!

Oddly enough the other south shore bagel boss' are in Merrick, Oceanside & Hewlett - mentioned in this thread ... high # of jewish population ... we're pretty serious about our bagels.

May be a flood zone but hey they got Bagel Boss

Old 06-09-2021, 03:09 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are hillbillies in Nassau County? I need to get up and see this!

Also didn’t realize LI’s micro climates extended to just Merrick being hot and humid.
Question where does the OP ever say hillbilly? The only thing close to that could be calling port Washington hilly which could be literal. Did I miss something?

Last edited by peconic117; 06-09-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 03:11 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
You should probably start with getting a preapproval from a reputable lender. That will tell you what you can afford, rather than asking strangers on the internet. Keep in mind, just because you're approved for X amount, doesn't mean YOU can afford that amount, only you and your wife can decide that. $250k doesn't get you very far here, especially with 3 kids. Best of luck with your search.

Oh, and another thing, if you're bothered by the "blue collar", "hillbilly" type. LI prob isn't the best fit for you. Try Westchester or CT.
250k won’t get you very far here? Give me a break that’s probably more that 90% of the island’s income is (Nassau median family income 119k). I can’t stand when people exaggerate COL here to the extreme. Now 250k won’t get you very far on the north shore of Nassau is a far more accurate statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island