Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 05:37 PM

426 posts, read 961,364 times

Advertisements

While gas may be "cleaner" and cheaper in the long run, there are also disadvantages that nobody mentions, like if the gas burner/ boiler is old/ not working properly then you have the possibility of a carbon monoxide leak and......dying in your sleep.

And oh yea.....big explosions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 07:35 AM

21 posts, read 16,967 times
dont mean to hijack the post but how do i go about bringing a line to my street? do i need to petition 5 neighbors? i think main is over 200ft.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
While gas may be "cleaner" and cheaper in the long run, there are also disadvantages that nobody mentions, like if the gas burner/ boiler is old/ not working properly then you have the possibility of a carbon monoxide leak and......dying in your sleep.

And oh yea.....big explosions.
Yup, you could also get t-boned by a dump truck and die while driving

Old 05-30-2022, 04:49 PM

1,213 posts, read 569,664 times
Remember the good old days like late 90’s or early 2000’s when they were throwing in the free boiler if you converted? I think my friend actually got the boiler and the water heater when they had that short promo.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:31 AM

121 posts, read 121,559 times
Last February I had oil heat --- 3300 sq ft house --- oil burner was running at 82% efficiency, and I paid $900 in February to heat my house (we keep temps at 72 during day and 65 at night). This year, now with gas heat, I paid $330. I looked at the prices of oil when they were really high a few months ago and I would have paid over $2400 to heat my house for one month.

Our insulation most definitely isn't great - I need to look into that, so I think both prices would likely be cheaper (oil and gas) but the differences, at least in my house, is insane.

I'm happy I converted. I'll break even in less than four years.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:35 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valethor View Post
Last February I had oil heat --- 3300 sq ft house --- oil burner was running at 82% efficiency, and I paid $900 in February to heat my house (we keep temps at 72 during day and 65 at night). This year, now with gas heat, I paid $330. I looked at the prices of oil when they were really high a few months ago and I would have paid over $2400 to heat my house for one month.

Our insulation most definitely isn't great - I need to look into that, so I think both prices would likely be cheaper (oil and gas) but the differences, at least in my house, is insane.

I'm happy I converted. I'll break even in less than four years.
You have a hair more sq ft than me I keep at about the same temp sometimes a bit warmer. I’m tankless HW and have the house spray foamed. Paid $149 in feb and I’m home all day. Insulation matters the roi prob isn’t worth it.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 4,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattefrost View Post
dont mean to hijack the post but how do i go about bringing a line to my street? do i need to petition 5 neighbors? i think main is over 200ft.
I made inquiry from national grid website, got contacted in about a week.
National grid will give you exact figures of how far your from the gas line, and the cost.
National grid should be able to advise you exact #s, and approximate wait time.
For me, National grid gave me list of neighbors (addresses) that if they were to convert with me, it will be free for both of us on the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You have a hair more sq ft than me I keep at about the same temp sometimes a bit warmer. I’m tankless HW and have the house spray foamed. Paid $149 in feb and I’m home all day. Insulation matters the roi prob isn’t worth it.
Was there difference after the spray foam?

Old 06-06-2022, 11:15 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatclearday View Post
Was there difference after the spray foam?
It was new construction so I can’t answer that.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:20 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
It was new construction so I can’t answer that.
Comparing a new home to a home 50yrs or older is a moot point. An older home will definitely recoup the cost of conversion in under 5yrs. Then it's all gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: