Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 05:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,887 times

Advertisements

Hi all, looking for some advice and suggestions.

About to close on a house in Town of North Hempstead and am trying to figure out the costs of electric/gas vs electric/oil for things like home heating/cooking/dryer etc. House is not hooked to a gas line and uses oil but there is a gas connector leading into the basement, which is not currently hooked up to a gas line. Trying to figure out if converting to gas would result in lower monthly utility bills compared to sticking with oil and using electric for cooking/dryer. I plan on installing mini splits in the near future for both cooling and heating, save for freezing temps where I would use the conventional furnace.

If converting, gas would be used for:
- cooking
- heating (sub zero days)
- dryer

If keeping oil, electricity and oil would be used for:
- cooking (electric)
- dryer (electric)
- heating (oil)

I am wondering which one would result in lower utility costs overall.

Additionally, if anyone could provide a ballpark figure for total cost of gas conversion from oil, would help immensely; I've read it can be around $9,000. Any insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 08:12 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Gas conversion all the way. Gas is cheaper than Oil and less maintenance on the boiler. You are looking at 10k - 13k depending on the boiler equipment.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:14 PM

259 posts, read 174,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Gas conversion all the way. Gas is cheaper than Oil and less maintenance on the boiler. You are looking at 10k - 13k depending on the boiler equipment.
How many years does it take to "pay off" the new boiler equipment/conversion with the savings by using gas over oil? Plus there is the cost of bringing gas in from the street to the house.
10years ? 15?

Old 11-17-2021, 05:03 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,280 times
Look it up Gas is said to go up 30 to 33 percent .. I have A Gas stove and A Gas Fire place in the enclosed patio.
Gas bill about $ 130 to 150
My oil heat and water heater [ very old Oil Hot Air Furnace ] Small conlu Cap about 100 or so a Month in the cold weather.
Wait for gas to come down.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
How many years does it take to "pay off" the new boiler equipment/conversion with the savings by using gas over oil? Plus there is the cost of bringing gas in from the street to the house.
10years ? 15?
Ideal situation is to convert to gas when Oil equipment is at end of life. When I converted years ago, the first year using gas, I noticed about $100 less on monthly heating bill.

There is no cost to bring the gas line to the house from the street if gas is available on the block.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:35 PM

1,466 posts, read 760,356 times
Quote:
Ideal situation is to convert to gas when Oil equipment is at end of life. When I converted years ago, the first year using gas, I noticed about $100 less on monthly heating bill.

There is no cost to bring the gas line to the house from the street if gas is available on the block.
This is the best case. My oil tank is old but sustainable.cast iron boiler estimated 20 years old. Hot water heater 15 plus. Getting costs to convert now. If everything was new but the tank I would stay with oil. I just liked up to upgrade my equipment. Seems to be 11-13k for a reputable company. Worth the extra money.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:

That depends on the distance. National Grid only pays for the first 100 ft; thereafter, each ft is in excess of $100/ft.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,887 times
Quote:

I think we're pretty much in the "ideal situation" zone - the heating equipment, save for the water heater which is only two years old, are 30+ years old. I called National Grid today and they told me gas was available on the street and they would bring it to the foundation of the house at no charge, but since they are backed up, it would be 12-14 weeks (pretty much the heart of winter). They told me to hire a plumber to bring the line into the house per our needs (kitchen, basement for dryer etc.). For those reading this thread, plumber suggestions for gas conversion are welcome!

Old 11-18-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
That depends on the distance. National Grid only pays for the first 100 ft; thereafter, each ft is in excess of $100/ft.
Stand corrected. But if you own a home that far from the street, you can probably afford the extra cost.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:36 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by int0abyss View Post
If converting, gas would be used for:
- cooking
- heating (sub zero days)
- dryer

If keeping oil, electricity and oil would be used for:
- cooking (electric)
- dryer (electric)
- heating (oil)

I am wondering which one would result in lower utility costs overall.
I think the answer to this question six months later is to convert. Even w hen this war ends it doesn't look like there will be a
huge change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: