Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a way to get it done?
Of course 3 27.27%
Not a shot 5 45.45%
There's always a way with an open mind... 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 07:55 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Let's play "what if".

What if you did nothing - kept the shed the way it is and ignored the violation - what would happen?

Just curious....
I was going to say the same thing. So many nosey neighbors looking to pick a fight with other neighbors if they don't like something the other neighbor is doing or has on their property. We had a neighbor like this when I was a kid. The husband next door got annoyed when my brother was playing basketball in the yard. Told my bother it was annoying. This was in the mid to late 1980's. My mom confronted him and said he had no right to tell her son he could not play basketball. He left us alone after that. We call these kinds of people **** stirrers. The OP is not bothering anyone. When we were kids we played outside all day until the night. made lots of noise in the streets and no one said boo. Today it's so different. If you sneeze too loud outside the neighbors complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 09:53 AM

544 posts, read 939,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micchelina View Post
I have to say, I am so grateful for all the feedback.

To answer some questions, yes, my neighbor sucks. And this is obviously out of spite. My son has played basketball a handful of times max this year. Nothing at night, nothing for hours on end. Let's be honest-- kids these days don't have the attention span to do the same thing for hours! lol. And it would be physically impossible for him to throw it over the fence, have it hook 90 degrees right towards the front yard about 20ft or so, then hook left towards their car. It was so absurd, but to keep the peace, we put up a net anyway.

As far as the shed, there's no plumbing whatsoever. The structure isn't on a concrete slab; from what I'm told it's not even considered a permanent structure. Everything else is 100% up to code. Last spring when i took on this project, I was very strict on doing everything "the right way" in preparation for something like this. Never thought it would come to this like it did, though. The size, height, location, etc., is all within TOB regulation.

I've been taking on a hobby of creating customized things. I know a lot of people are doing this now, which is part of the reason I don't plan on making money off of it. More or less for fun or for gifts for family and friends. I couldn't use the shed for that until it was complete, and now it is. But this is a nice big rain cloud over my roof.
Earlier your wrote:
Quote:
We converted our wood shed into a workspace. Yes, it does have insolation, sheetrock, electric and a ductless system
You have an occupiable living space. You would be amazed at what people rent out, taking advantage of immigrants who pay cash.

You write the shed is not on a slab. What was it built on?

If it were stud walls, no electric or ductless, this would be a non-issue.

Out of curiosity, did you receive an underwriters certificate for the electrical work? How was the electric run from the house (assuming you didn't have another meter installed)?

Old 01-19-2022, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 3,318 times
Hey Everyone,

Figured I might as well update all that so graciously replied to my original post. This morning, we officially got served with papers to go to court. Not just for the shed, but for the egress windows and enclosed basement entrance, although the paperwork for those two seem as though they can be dealt with pretty straightforwardly.

As far as my little workshop goes, I know I didn't necessarily do things the right way. And all throughout the process it was never a problem. They got mad and did what they did. Some are curious about the basketball playing, and here's the god honest truth: the problem started the very first day he played. He was out there for no more than an hour. Same with the second day, and by then my six year old didn't want to go out and play because this guy was screaming and cursing like a lunatic. Since then, he barely plays on it. It would be physically impossible for a grown man to overshoot the ball, magically have it hook 40 feet to the right where their car is (which was their main concern) and hit it. Also, this guy was complaining about his bedroom window being right there and how he won't be able to sleep if my son is playing basketball... if my six year old is up at 9PM outside playing basketball, I'd say there would be a different agency to call on us. That's ridiculous. He would never be out there that late.

Anyway, I'm going to get in touch with an expediter. The shed came pre-built (one of those wooden beauties built by the Amish) and is not permanently attached to the ground itself. Yes, we do have a mini ductless and electric, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as permanent. My plan for this space was to create: an outlet for me to make personalized gifts with vinyl and heat transfers. It's helped with my depression a lot. And again, I put my heart and soul into it. I'm hoping this "Artist's Studio" route might be a viable one. Here's to having hope...

Old 01-20-2022, 05:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Figured I might as well update all that so graciously replied to my original post. This morning, we officially got served with papers to go to court. Not just for the shed, but for the egress windows and enclosed basement entrance, although the paperwork for those two seem as though they can be dealt with pretty straightforwardly.

As far as my little workshop goes, I know I didn't necessarily do things the right way. And all throughout the process it was never a problem. They got mad and did what they did. Some are curious about the basketball playing, and here's the god honest truth: the problem started the very first day he played. He was out there for no more than an hour. Same with the second day, and by then my six year old didn't want to go out and play because this guy was screaming and cursing like a lunatic. Since then, he barely plays on it. It would be physically impossible for a grown man to overshoot the ball, magically have it hook 40 feet to the right where their car is (which was their main concern) and hit it. Also, this guy was complaining about his bedroom window being right there and how he won't be able to sleep if my son is playing basketball... if my six year old is up at 9PM outside playing basketball, I'd say there would be a different agency to call on us. That's ridiculous. He would never be out there that late.

Anyway, I'm going to get in touch with an expediter. The shed came pre-built (one of those wooden beauties built by the Amish) and is not permanently attached to the ground itself. Yes, we do have a mini ductless and electric, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as permanent. My plan for this space was to create: an outlet for me to make personalized gifts with vinyl and heat transfers. It's helped with my depression a lot. And again, I put my heart and soul into it. I'm hoping this "Artist's Studio" route might be a viable one. Here's to having hope...
Going to court has nothing to do with the Town "getting mad." You have a violation present at the property. You did not remove or otherwise remedy in a timely fashion, hence the summons. The court isn't going to care about your story and dreams of crafting. They will order the structure be permitted or removed, same as the Town.

You're not going to receive a permit for habitable space in an accessory structure. You can apply for variances, but there is no guarantee you will receive them, and the process will cost you more than the structure is worth. You're better off seeking an addition to the home if you need extra space for your projects.

Aa far as the basement, much easier process. As long as all regulations are met, you should receive the permit upon review.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:28 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Quote:
I have to say, I am so grateful for all the feedback.

As far as the shed, there's no plumbing whatsoever. The structure isn't on a concrete slab; from what I'm told it's not even considered a permanent structure. Everything else is 100% up to code. Last spring when i took on this project, I was very strict on doing everything "the right way" in preparation for something like this. Never thought it would come to this like it did, though. The size, height, location, etc., is all within TOB regulation.
It might suck, but you didn’t do anything the right way if you were breaking the town code. Why didn’t you go to the building department first before you started? Most likely because you wouldn’t get the answer you wanted to hear. So, you went around them. This is what happens. It really isn’t anyone else’s fault but your own. Don’t blame the neighbor for this. If you didn’t break the town code, you wouldn’t be going though this. Good luck.

Last edited by trusso11783; 01-20-2022 at 07:37 PM..

Old 01-20-2022, 07:36 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Don’t you have a garage you can do this in? I would imagine that would be much easier and you are halfway there already with electricity and lights. Your dreams do not depend on an illegal structure. Jist so it somewhere else like a garage or basement. And it’s legal.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 246 times
Would it be possible to lift it & install it on to a trailer with a license on it?

Old 06-22-2022, 04:47 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Is there anything with your neighbors property that can be reported as a violation seeing he has been such a pill to you and your family?

Old 06-23-2022, 04:34 AM

5,050 posts, read 3,954,202 times
And this all started because your close neighbor was annoyed by an hour of basketball bouncing on the pavement and thunking off a backboard/rim for a couple of days? And when you didn’t cut it out he reported your property violations?

Have you stopped with the basketball?

Old 06-23-2022, 05:31 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
I know a landlord who built a shed attached to the back of the house,there is a patio at the back,so the shed sits on the patio,it has shower facility,a bedroom and a living room and kitchenette,and he rented it out for $250 a month.
It is not a bad deal as the tenant has the patio and grows veggies and sit outside in the summer.
$250 was 20 years ago,so it must be more now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island