Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a way to get it done?
Of course 3 27.27%
Not a shot 5 45.45%
There's always a way with an open mind... 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 3,308 times

Advertisements

So, long story short: my neighbors didn't like my six year-old playing basketball in the backyard, saying the ball could go over the fence and potentially hit their car. Mind you, you'd have to be intentionally be aiming for their front yard/car to get the ball to go that far-- it's unrealistic. But nevertheless, it caused a problem, so now they've called the town and an inspector has come and told my husband to take down the converted shed. It's devastating.

We converted our wood shed into a workspace. Yes, it does have insolation, sheetrock, electric and a ductless system. It's actually been a godsend with Covid and having to work from home with three kids in the house. Now, this guy comes and says everything must come down, sheetrock and all, and there's nothing that can be done. There's nothing I can apply for; nothing I can change-- just tear it all down. My heart and soul went into making this office. And the amount of money-- especially during these times-- I'm just sick to my stomach thinking there's absolutely nothing I can do. I didn't get to talk to him, only my husband. And he says there's no way possible, but he doesn't always ask the right questions. Someone please give me any kind of advice on how I can save this lil' savior of mine that allowed me to keep my sanity and somewhat of an income during a nightmare of a time. Any advice and help is appreciated greatly!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 06:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
You can apply for a variance of Zoning for an accessory building.... the permit will likely be denied, and the process will cost more than the work shed is worth.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:38 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
How did they know everything was in the shed ? You let them in?

Are the neighbors up to date on their permits ?

Call expeditor maybe?

Old 11-17-2021, 08:28 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Not sure of the town you are in but chances to save this are slim to none in TNH. JUST MY OPINION.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:26 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Might be able to save it but will cost a fortune.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 3,308 times
Sorry, meant to specify. It’s TOB, my husband let him in not realizing he had any rights against doing so. The project has already cost a fortune, along with my blood, sweat and tears. Trying to decipher TOB law online is a nightmare. So many people are doing this— there has to be a way? I saw something about an Artist’s Studio, although I can’t find much on it. I’m trying everything I can.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:07 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micchelina View Post
Sorry, meant to specify. It’s TOB, my husband let him in not realizing he had any rights against doing so. The project has already cost a fortune, along with my blood, sweat and tears. Trying to decipher TOB law online is a nightmare. So many people are doing this— there has to be a way? I saw something about an Artist’s Studio, although I can’t find much on it. I’m trying everything I can.
You're getting a lot of armchair opinions, not that there is anything wrong with that, but none of us know teh specific provisions of the TOB code.

in my opinion, you should have a quick discussion with an expeditor and see what they say.
Alternatively, you can make an appointment with a plan examiner or someone at the town who knows stuff and see what information they can add since the cat is out of the proverbial bag already.

sucks about your neighbor. Its really nasty to create bad blood with your neighbor. Especially on something that is not the problem. It doesn't sound like the shed was bothering anyone. And yeah basketball can be annoying, if its played all the time... but its kids being kids in the good sense. Unless they were intentionally getting it over the fence on the neighbors car.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:46 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
I'm rarely optimistic about anything but I'll try to play angel's advocate. Since there is no kitchen or bath (or is there??? If so, fugheddabout it, do not pass go, do not collect $200, lol) then you should be able to have an expeditor draw up plans and submit for variances. I don't know TOB but TOHemp charges double for permits for "existing structures" but that's still less than tearing down a perfectly perfect shed. The town wants money, so NO is never a completer answer on LI! It's a process and costs but it's a regular cottage revenue stream and job ponzi of permitting pools, sheds, fences, decks, hot tubs, yada yada. Get an expeditor who knows how to play and take it from there. Your biggest problem is to get a variance they usually make you get a signed affidavit from neighbors that they don't object. Sounds like your neighbor relationship will be an obstacle. For that reason you may not want to sink more money into it. Town will 100% side with the objecting neighbor. ooops, so much for angel's advocate. LI sux.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:31 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
Also, when pursuing any kind of conversion for accessory use for "home occupation," it typically refers to occupations such as tailoring, dressmaking, that need to be done in the space. That won't fly for telecommute work that you just don't want to do in the house out of convenience. Even with medical or professional offices, they're attached portions of the main dwelling.

Townships and villages would be smart to explore zoning changes in light of recent trends in employment, but that will take years and old timers who think this is 1955 will fight it. There were some start ups out there making amazing design-built accessory work units, much nicer than finishing an old shed

Old 11-18-2021, 12:43 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
There are a host of different questions here, which cannot be answered without info about zoning, property size, setbacks, corner lots, etc., etc. Also, those questions color the seriousness of the problem. The shed was built without a permit, which may or may not be okay on its own. You may or may not have needed a permit, and it may or may not comply with location, size, setback requirements, etc. https://www.brookhavenny.gov/Documen...eds-PDF?bidId=
I do not see why adding drywall and insulation to a shed alone would change that. So, there is a gating question as to whether the shed is permissible, needs to be moved, needs a permit, etc.

The electric and HVAC are different questions. As others said, if there is plumbing, forget it, unless this is a very large lot.
The electric done without a permit clearly needs to be "ripped out" or permitted. There is no prohibition against electric in a permissible "accessory structure," with a permit. HVAC may not be allowed, but you presumably could improvise with a window unit, or creatively make that minisplit "portable."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island