Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 06:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,780,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Birdsler View Post
Going to be interesting watching the progress here. I'm in the minority here but for me the Islanders @ Barclays Center was the best of the best sporting venue in NYC. Best pregame atmosphere, fun young crowd, tremendous transit all at friendly pricing. It took the Rangers 5 years and ten games to win one game at Barclays. Now the Rangers are heavily favored to win a game at UBS before the Islanders do as the two rivals square off this week. Maybe the rep of NHL Barclays was all wrong!

Nassau is now going to be shuttered and an eyesore. May take years for them to demolish this obsolete venue now that Cuomo and team support the Belmont Project.

Now the Islanders based on a three year surge as a cup contender and a new arena are looking to expand that Nassau footprint. Things have been looking good lately. However, they are going to have some issues;
  1. Elderly GM destroyed the roster over the last two seasons aging the team 10 years in 3 years - looks like the worst team in the NHL 2021-2002 and for the next 5 years - incompetent -over the hill management and their tremendous blunders are going to decimate demand
  2. Belmont Park Traffic is a nightmare - people going to stay away weekdays
  3. Belmont Park has imperfect transit - three different stations all with major flaws
  4. Belmont Park is in a cultural wasteland - there is absolutely nothing to do around the arena - can't grab a drink can't grab a bite within walking distance

The arena itself was well done. It's so unfortunate that decrepit Lou destroyed the roster. Really going to stunt the positive momentum that they needed for success. The denial surrounding this management team is very robust. Going to take a long long time for team ownership and fans to realize that competent, modern mangers need to be brought in. Then there is the customary 5 year rebuild period required to overhaul a sports club So there may not be a playoff game at UBS for a decade or so.
Lol I remember you, the lone city islanders fan actually upset they were leaving the absolute worst arena in hockey. that everyone almost universally cheered. Sorry man they are a Long Island team not a NYC team. Also fantastic transit? LMAO for who? Transit there was a nightmare, driving wasn't really an option and the train was an awful PITA that required a stop at Jamaica. Certainly not fantastic for 99% of islanders fans who you know, actually live on long island! Now allow me to address your claims.

1. Not disagreeing over all of this, they suck right now and have issues but predicting the next 5 years as certain doom and gloom is a fools errand. You have no clue what will happen and neither do I. Also man did your opinion change in 8 months

Quote:
Islanders looking like the BOSS team in the tough East division. Playing playoff hockey all season and shutting teams down. With their new arena popping up near outerborough Queens we may be seeing a transcendence of the Islanders from small market backwater team to taking their place right next to Yankee as the NY sports elite.
2. It’s not a nightmare, I was there in 30 mins from my house, on the way back after getting out of the lot (which is a pain in any arena) I was home in about the same time. People exaggerate this like crazy like you are going into downtown Brooklyn or something. It really isn’t that bad.
3. No place have “perfect” transit but it’s certainly improved including a brand new LIRR station and it will continue to improve.
4. Other than the Marriott bar what was really around the NC? And what was really around Barclays other than a few bars and the ghetto? Since when do arenas exist in cultural meccas anyway? They are usually built in crappy areas. Regardless there are plans to add retail, resturants etc in the next phase of the Belmont development, so it’s expected to change.

Last edited by peconic117; 11-22-2021 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 09:11 PM

231 posts, read 113,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Lol I remember you, the lone city islanders fan actually upset they were leaving the absolute worst arena in hockey. that everyone almost universally cheered. Sorry man they are a Long Island team not a NYC team. Also fantastic transit? LMAO for who? Transit there was a nightmare, driving wasn't really an option and the train was an awful PITA that required a stop at Jamaica. Certainly not fantastic for 99% of islanders fans who you know, actually live on long island! Now allow me to address your claims.

1. Not disagreeing over all of this, they suck right now and have issues but predicting the next 5 years as certain doom and gloom is a fools errand. You have no clue what will happen and neither do I. Also man did your opinion change in 8 months

2. It’s not a nightmare, I was there in 30 mins from my house, on the way back after getting out of the lot (which is a pain in any arena) I was home in about the same time. People exaggerate this like crazy like you are going into downtown Brooklyn or something. It really isn’t that bad.
3. No place have “perfect” transit but it’s certainly improved including a brand new LIRR station and it will continue to improve.
4. Other than the Marriott bar what was really around the NC? And what was really around Barclays other than a few bars and the ghetto? Since when do arenas exist in cultural meccas anyway? They are usually built in crappy areas. Regardless there are plans to add retail, resturants etc in the next phase of the Belmont development, so it’s expected to change.

1. They are terminally bad now, it happen quick like a car accident. There was a couple of hints at this but they really accelerated the process getting rid of BOTH Toews & Leddy on defense and then exasperating the speed issue with slow liabilities like Greene and Chara. Mgmt gutted the prospect pool. This aging of their core was forced quickly. My opinion spun 180 degrees.

2. Check back on a WEEKDAY and try to drive there. It's stopped traffic. Barely a go for miles and miles.

3. Fair enough

4. NC was tailgates. Barclays neighborhood was amazing, you missed it. There was 25+ restaurants and 5 bars within a 5 min walk. All top caliber. It was a really good time. The best possible neighborhood to go to an event. Not ghetto at all.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
1. They are terminally bad now, it happen quick like a car accident. There was a couple of hints at this but they really accelerated the process getting rid of BOTH Toews & Leddy on defense and then exasperating the speed issue with slow liabilities like Greene and Chara. Mgmt gutted the prospect pool. This aging of their core was forced quickly. My opinion spun 180 degrees.

2. Check back on a WEEKDAY and try to drive there. It's stopped traffic. Barely a go for miles and miles.

3. Fair enough

4. NC was tailgates. Barclays neighborhood was amazing, you missed it. There was 25+ restaurants and 5 bars within a 5 min walk. All top caliber. It was a really good time. The best possible neighborhood to go to an event. Not ghetto at all.
By 7:00pm most of the worst rush hour traffic has cleared, the games at UBS are later. Not concerned about traffic at all. I’m going to the weds ranger game so I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

There will be tailgates at UBS too. Newsflash for you, tailgating was technically forbidden at NC too, yet fans still did it and it was pretty much unenforceable as it will be here. Lol few fans trekking all the way to Brooklyn cared about the local bars around the Barclays considering how much of a PITA it was to get there and get back home. Good riddance to that awful chapter in isles history most want to forget.

Your opinion sure did spin 180 degrees and if you are proven wrong and they make the playoffs this year or next I’m sure You will say they are the best team in NY again…

Old 11-23-2021, 05:28 AM

231 posts, read 113,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
By 7:00pm most of the worst rush hour traffic has cleared, the games at UBS are later. Not concerned about traffic at all. I’m going to the weds ranger game so I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

There will be tailgates at UBS too. Newsflash for you, tailgating was technically forbidden at NC too, yet fans still did it and it was pretty much unenforceable as it will be here. Lol few fans trekking all the way to Brooklyn cared about the local bars around the Barclays considering how much of a PITA it was to get there and get back home. Good riddance to that awful chapter in isles history most want to forget.

Your opinion sure did spin 180 degrees and if you are proven wrong and they make the playoffs this year or next I’m sure You will say they are the best team in NY again…
Talk is real cheap but I assure you I put my money where my mouth is. No playoffs at UBS this year.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Talk is real cheap but I assure you I put my money where my mouth is. No playoffs at UBS this year.
This year? Certainly not looking too good, still a ways to go though. Saying there won’t be a playoff game there for a decade (because they are having a rough season so far) ?? An absolutely ridiculous statement.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:33 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
Heard it took 45 minutes just to get out of the parking lot after the game...

And here I was excited to go catch a game against my fav team and not having to go to Brooklyn.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-23-2021 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

And here I was excited to go catch a game against my fav team and not having to go to Brooklyn.
Didn't take me that long on opening day no less.. But again there have only been two whopping games there so far.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:58 AM

1,275 posts, read 566,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

Took that long to get out of the parking lot at the Coliseum on many nights.

I don't know why Long Islanders have this weird aversion to being more than 50 feet away from their cars, even when it isn't the most inconvenient way to get somewhere and public transit will do the job just fine.

Last edited by RPC324; 11-24-2021 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-24-2021, 06:21 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,335,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Took that long to get out of the parking lot at the Coliseum on many nights.

I don't know why Long Islanders have this weird aversion to being more than 50 feet away from their cars, even when it is the most inconvenient way to get somewhere and public transit will do the job just fine.
Driving is just more comfortable. I’m going to game with 3 other people next week. Drive to the station spend $48 on lirr fares have to wait for trains till take shuttle. Or pay $30 to be in a comfy car and wait. It’s a no brainer.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Driving is just more comfortable. I’m going to game with 3 other people next week. Drive to the station spend $48 on lirr fares have to wait for trains till take shuttle. Or pay $30 to be in a comfy car and wait. It’s a no brainer.
You will have a great time. It’s another works from the coliseum Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island