Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 06:54 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,249,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
I am going to Florida next week for President’s week break and I will be looking at real estate while I am there. I want to be prepared just in case I need to leave NY before the Iron Curtain comes down.
You'll love it. No COVID Theatre, no state taxes, and concealed carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 08:05 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,051,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
The issue is if there is a law in place it prevents some future crazy possible dem (or even some GOP) governor to just issue an exec order mandating masks/vaccines etc. in a state that Doesn't have any laws preventing such. Also many states (like NC) it’s up to the school district which they can reimpose at any time. A law on the books is much harder to undo and makes an sort of mandate far more unlikely.
The problem is that living in NY and being sane puts you in this mindset that you have to be afraid... NC has stripped the Gov of some emergency powers already (he's a Dem and the legislature is overwhelming GOP) - it's actually a perfect case study in gerrymandering which is a whole other discussion... but, the point is that NC isn't going to have an issue again and I suspect many other states will or have followed suit... the schools in my suburb are overwhelming anti masks and the kids haven't been forced to mask for a long time now... the schools don't even quarantine or contact trace... even indoor sports like basketball are business as usual... and this is in a classic purple state. Sanity is taking hold.

NY and CA will continue to be the big outliers... beyond that, I think you'll be good.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:27 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,803,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The problem is that living in NY and being sane puts you in this mindset that you have to be afraid... NC has stripped the Gov of some emergency powers already (he's a Dem and the legislature is overwhelming GOP) - it's actually a perfect case study in gerrymandering which is a whole other discussion... but, the point is that NC isn't going to have an issue again and I suspect many other states will or have followed suit... the schools in my suburb are overwhelming anti masks and the kids haven't been forced to mask for a long time now... the schools don't even quarantine or contact trace... even indoor sports like basketball are business as usual... and this is in a classic purple state. Sanity is taking hold.

NY and CA will continue to be the big outliers... beyond that, I think you'll be good.
That's good (if you want to discuss gerrymandering look at NY's crazy new map it aint just GOP legislatures doing it). NY Dem state legislature also stripped some powers from Cuomo (and Hocul by default) but it only went so far as she still found ways around it (although some of that is under litigation). Indoor kids sports here haven't had to mask in a long time here at least not that I've seen, its been at least a year and pretty much not enforced.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:43 AM

13,531 posts, read 17,084,053 times
Quote:
That's good (if you want to discuss gerrymandering look at NY's crazy new map it aint just GOP legislatures doing it). NY Dem state legislature also stripped some powers from Cuomo (and Hocul by default) but it only went so far as she still found ways around it (although some of that is under litigation). Indoor kids sports here haven't had to mask in a long time here at least not that I've seen, its been at least a year and pretty much not enforced.
It's just not being enforced.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:46 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,051,749 times
Quote:
Oh wow, the way people complain here I thought masking was enforced!

So, not sure what everyone is up in arms about then... or is it just the typical complain complain complain?

Old 02-16-2022, 02:29 PM

13,531 posts, read 17,084,053 times
Quote:

So, not sure what everyone is up in arms about then... or is it just the typical complain complain complain?
They are still enforcing masking in schools, that is the issue. It's complaining about something legitimate, where there are no guidelines being given as to when it will be lifted. "When I tell you is when it will be lifted.". That doesn't work and no one should be surprised if that attitude breeds frustration and anger.

In my case, as a person who has never voted for the GOP in my life, I will pull the lever for anyone who runs against Hochul now ..specifically when the state court judge deemed the mask mandate unconstitutional, my kids got one day of freedom and she sent here lawyers to claw her power back. Now she has an enemy in me. I know many people who feel like I do, and not just Republicans. 2 years is enough. We followed the rules, i took my shots, I criticized other people who were nuts about masks last year. Enough is enough.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:27 PM

5,098 posts, read 3,993,688 times
I’m not certain the label ‘child maskers’ is gonna help the Dems much this voting cycle but we’ll see.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:58 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,803,003 times
Quote:

That’s kids sports and out and about town. In schools it’s 100% enforced

Old 02-16-2022, 08:13 PM

187 posts, read 112,069 times
Quote:
That’s kids sports and out and about town. In schools it’s 100% enforced
Yes last spring my son wore no mask while playing club soccer and had to wear a mask while playing inter scholastic school soccer. Both were played outdoors.

This fall there were no masks for school soccer outdoors but this winter masks are still required for school basketball.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:49 AM

5,098 posts, read 3,993,688 times
The persistent and forced masking of the not-at-risk schoolchildren is just one of the unsavory legacies of the Democrat-led Covid reaction debacle here in New York State.

Even the wackiest of the lefty loons, still clinging to an odd love for Cuomo and Fauci, are a bit embarrassed by this lingering relic of Covid-alarmism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island