Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 12:03 PM

450 posts, read 390,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
“I guess only thing would be if I got my stuff at Ikea and hired someone to install them after I assemble them myself, but I heard even Ikea quality went down.”

Still, too many issues if there’s a problem. A few inches off can throw off an entire kitchens layout.
Who’s measuring, Who’s doing the ordering? Who do you call if something is off or not ordered correctly? Do you call/blame your contractor, IKEAs sales person, IKEA’s measurer or your uncles’s friend who measured for you incorrectly? Blame yourself for incorrect order? Who’s measuring & cutting out your counter tops?

Just trying to save you a headache.
Agree, potential for too many things to go wrong, unless you are the contractor basically. That would require knowing every possible issue in advance. Like realizing you did not line up plumbing, surprise it's off few inches now and require new piping..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 01:52 PM

1,519 posts, read 788,681 times
Are you trying to do all of this now? Or in steps ? If you don’t mind what’s your budget for it all. That plays a major roll on what contractors are recommended.

Also did you call any yet for an estimate ? Some are so busy it took me over a week to hear back. Some never sadly even called me back. Crazy times.

Every time I see people in my neighborhood doing work I stop to speak with them (or my neighbor for recommendations if they are friendly enough )

That’s how I found my siding and stone guy and my bathroom guy. If it wasn’t for that neighbor talking to me I never would have use the company.

I just haven’t found a good kitchen contractor yet lol.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:56 PM

My plan is to go in person this weekend and start getting some quotes.
I don't have a strict budget, it all depends on what I can get for how much, but for example, I would say I wouldn't want to go over $50k including appliances for kitchen.
I would do them in steps, kitchen first but since it may require moving the piping, I am not sure kitchen companies bring plumbers with them to do the job or if I need to hire someone else.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:27 AM

20,993 posts, read 28,553,979 times
Allure does Kitchens in 10 days. It's one stop shopping for everything. I used them to re-do my bathroom about 15 years ago and I was very happy with the quality of the work. They were done in 4 1/2 days. always had 2 guys on the job. doesn't hurt to check them out. I would use plessers in Babylon for your appliances. They are great and I bought my fridge and Weber grill from them. They have good financing options too.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Allure does Kitchens in 10 days. It's one stop shopping for everything. I used them to re-do my bathroom about 15 years ago and I was very happy with the quality of the work. They were done in 4 1/2 days. always had 2 guys on the job. doesn't hurt to check them out. I would use plessers in Babylon for your appliances. They are great and I bought my fridge and Weber grill from them. They have good financing options too.

Is this the same allure: https://www.alure.com/kitchen-remodeling
How do they do it in 10 days?

I was just driving today and stopped by a random place on Jericho Tpke and he said 2 months.. I think he orders stuff from manufacturer after he gets the job, but if that's the case, it will take forever for stuff to arrive here on boats.

I will definitely check them out if this is them. Did they do the whole thing and just leave room for appliances, or did you get the appliances first and they fit them for you? Who does the connection? I was told you need to hook those up when they are delivered, otherwise you have to pay someone else to make the hookups either electric or gas.

I would love to get financing since cost of kitchen is now seems to be soaring. I was going to ask this agent who had an open house who the contractor was, is that frowned upon? They probably won't know and I can't just call up the owner and ask I assume. There is a house almost identical to us, but they also took down some walls, I suppose kitchen company won't do that, do I need to have someone take down walls and clean up before I talk to kitchen company? Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies once again.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:52 AM

1,519 posts, read 788,681 times
Check out nda kitchens also. Heard they are almost as fast. I am most likely going to use them next year.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:06 PM

723 posts, read 626,283 times
Stay away From Facebook. It's full of the junkies and drunks who can't real jobs. Can't tell you how many show up stoned, clueless jack of all trades types, cheap tools or hardly any to do the work.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Check out nda kitchens also. Heard they are almost as fast. I am most likely going to use them next year.
Is it this one?
https://www.ndakitchens.com/contact-us/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Stay away From Facebook. It's full of the junkies and drunks who can't real jobs. Can't tell you how many show up stoned, clueless jack of all trades types, cheap tools or hardly any to do the work.
OH BOY! Is this true?

This is crazy. I just had my wife post it there (I don't have account) and we got like 30 "recommendations" within 2 hours. I don't even know what to do at this point.

I know TMing mentioned Facebook but (s)he also said the contractors your neighbors used.. I have no neighbors yet so I don't know what to do. I'll ask my friends in other towns if they used anyone recently.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:49 PM

I wanted to check back as we are getting closer to our target date, I wanted to start calling some people, do they usually come in and measure and then give us options based on that? I decided not to make major changes to footprint like taking down a wall etc in order to keep the job simple and quicker (and cheaper).

Old 05-05-2022, 04:16 AM

84 posts, read 47,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
If you have unlimited funds I would use allure since they can do everything you’ll probably pay 150k minimum though probably closer to 200k.

Get multiple quotes. Places are asking 15k plus for labor on small bathroom unfortunately and people are paying it.

For my siding I got quotes from king quality, allure , alpha windows and siding and a few other local places. King quality tried to push their foam insulated siding. Alpha tried to explain why I didn’t need a portico even though my wife wanted one for looks anyways. Point is know what you want and do some research so you know what they are trying to upsell you on.

You want a reputable company for the kitchen. You don’t want them disappearing on you and leaving you stuck without a kitchen in your house for months.
U got any rec for framing a portico? Also need siding, roofing with it. Allure is a ripoff and they do sub the work believe it or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island