Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 04:17 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What constitutes as primary residence on LI when applying/buying firearms? I may have an opportunity to switch my address, or move to LI.

Does it just require changing my Drivers License? What is needed as proof? Do all my insurances have to be switched? Is it about mailing addresses though? Can I still have mailing addresses outside of LI or is that strictly prohibited? Do I just need to have a signed rental lease, or deed?

I do not plan on owning any RE on LI, but I can likely pretend or really rent on LI. I should be able to skirt NYC gun laws, and or be completely free of them. Will the police actually want to inspect any firearms I have and visit the location I claim to reside at?

Some of you probably wonder well, is it really worth it to move to LI a place with high COL just to buy a gun? I have other reasons I may be moving. I may not though. This is just for info. I may want to stay where I am at, but have an opportunity to claim LI residence if at all possible.
https://www.pdcn.org/251/Pistol-Licenses

Here's the link where you can download the handbook that lays out the requirements, costs, and instructions to fill out the application for Nassau County. Do understand that lying on the application is a crime itself.

I sold my guns when I moved up here 6 years ago, and am just now in the process of applying for my pistol license. It's about three times the paperwork that I needed to do to get my CCW in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 04:20 PM

73 posts, read 33,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Last case I know of which was ny vs Lincoln Parker , if you got caught carrying with the restricted sportsman license used in Long Island you can loose your permit but it is not a crime .

Unlike nyc which issues a premise permit with authorization to go to an in state range and hunting , the Long Island permits are like our old target hunting permits which were full carry permits restricted to hunting and ranges .

Our residence permit is used instead since the residence permit is specifically in nys law and there can be criminal prosecution.

So unless Long Island switched to premise permits as their sportsman permit then they are still the restricted full carry

STATE NEW YORK v. LINCOLN PARKER (02/10/81).

Based on this section of the law:
Section 265.20 Exemptions
a. Sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05, 265.10, 265.11, 265.12, 265.13, 265.15 and 270.05 shall not apply to:
3. Possession of a pistol or revolver by a person to whom a license therefor has been issued as provided under section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter ; provided, that such a license shall not preclude a conviction for the offense defined in subdivision three of section 265.01 of this article.
You are correct, they're still restricted carry (vs premises for the city), but in effect you're looking at the same thing -- you can't carry your licensed handgun under normal conditions. You shouldn't go to prison for violating this rule outside of NYC, but you likely will lose your license after at least a few days in jail.

One thing that drives me nuts about this process is that people from upstate can carry in Nassau and Suffolk counties with no restrictions (since they're issued unrestricted permits) while legal gun-owning residents of Long Island cannot.

I still cannot understand why, of all places in the northeast, OP would choose to fake Nassau County residency lol.

Old 01-26-2022, 04:26 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
The premise permit in nyc does carry a legal penalty for being off premise unlike the target hunting permit .

Nyc converted us back in the 1990s from the restricted carry target hunting permit to the premise permit for that reason . Way to many were carrying back then because there were no criminal implications with the target hunting permit.

So by converting us and having at least legal penalties other then administrative violations they were hoping to cut the carrying down

Old 01-26-2022, 09:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
GETTING A A GUN PERMIT HAS BEEN VERY STRICT THE LAST FEW YEARS. they do background checks. Why would you pretend to live on LI? I would not lie to get a gun or permit. do you have a permit in NJ or any guns presently? I know several people who own guns and have permits and the way you plan to go about is just wrong IMO. Be careful. Good luck trying to get a permit or gun by lying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I say this in the nicest way possible. You are idiot, the fact that you would even contemplate switching your address to attempt at getting a gun permit means you shouldn't be given a deadly weapon. Luckily it's insanely hard and time consuming to get a pistol permit in Nassau or Suffolk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Let me sum this up

Do you guys also have a problem when some lives in the UES but also has primary address in like say Monaco to avoid taxes? Or moves all their money off shore to Aruba or somewhere? All so they can avoid taxes.

How about we forget about firearms, is it ok for anyone to have a second address anywhere? Is that okay for you guys if some has a home on LI or PA but has to spend a lot of time sleeping in NYC?

Or what about those chinese speculators buying up all the RE in US and driving up COL for everyone except the "people with assets"? I believe if the chinese buy up something for a lot of money, they can emigrate. Or maybe that rule no longer applicable.

I dont think you read my thread. I may actually be moving for real to LI. If not, I have someone I can stay with from time to time. I already spend half my weekends on LI anyways. I just want to find out some info. Why are you bothered by which I use as my primary?

Old 01-26-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I completely agree with your comment. Not to pile on the OP, but lying about your address to get a firearm in this state will have severe consequences.
OP Move here. Establish a permanent residency then apply. I do understand that we need to protect ourselves with the way this world is going and seeing all the animals lose in the city but this is not like lying about your address on a job application. The process of a gun registration in this state is very thorough. They check EVERYTHING! Don't play dumb games.
What constitute as "lying" though? There are people who already spend lots of time in more than one location. And sometimes they have not been to one location in a long time, but still have rights to it.

So which do you get to use as primary? And why does it bother you which one they choose.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEATSHIRT View Post

OP -- whatever you're planning, I'd think long and hard about it. If things don't work out for you you could be facing real deal, no-sh*t jail time (and then you'd never be able to legally own a gun anywhere else, even in a free state). Just apply for a long gun permit and understand that you'll be limited to ****ty magazines until (hopefully) the SC slaps down New York's licensing scheme in some way. If you actually live in New Jersey, just go through their process (it's generally easier than even New York's).

Are you saying there are no people out there that have on LI or elsewhere, that has legal firearms, but also spends lots of times in more restrictive places, but somehow still kept their legal firearms somewhere legal?

Old 01-27-2022, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Do you guys also have a problem when some lives in the UES but also has primary address in like say Monaco to avoid taxes? Or moves all their money off shore to Aruba or somewhere? All so they can avoid taxes.

How about we forget about firearms, is it ok for anyone to have a second address anywhere? Is that okay for you guys if some has a home on LI or PA but has to spend a lot of time sleeping in NYC?

Or what about those chinese speculators buying up all the RE in US and driving up COL for everyone except the "people with assets"? I believe if the chinese buy up something for a lot of money, they can emigrate. Or maybe that rule no longer applicable.

I dont think you read my thread. I may actually be moving for real to LI. If not, I have someone I can stay with from time to time. I already spend half my weekends on LI anyways. I just want to find out some info. Why are you bothered by which I use as my primary?
Permits here are generally issued if ny is your primary residence .

Generally non-residents are not issued pistol permits. However, in 2013 the New York Appeals Court ruled in Osterweil v. Bartlett, 999 N.E.2d 516, that part time residents in New York are eligible for pistol permits under the state laws.

In practice,New York does not issue pistol licenses to people from other states, with the very rare exception, upon justifiable need, to some part-time residents. That is usually restricted to businesses..

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-27-2022 at 02:52 AM..

Old 01-27-2022, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Are you saying there are no people out there that have on LI or elsewhere, that has legal firearms, but also spends lots of times in more restrictive places, but somehow still kept their legal firearms somewhere legal?
No such thing as everyone or no one .

So no one can answer for everyone .

….

Old 01-27-2022, 03:08 AM

The problem is that while the definition of resident can mean different things the term is usually tied in to other things besides having a residence here .

We had a home in the poconos in pa as an example so technically I qualified as being a pa resident even though ny is my primary .

But I couldn’t get a pa carry permit because you need a pa drivers license …..i couldnt legally not have a New York drivers licence as long as ny was my primary home ….my car had to be insured and registered to ny , my taxes had to be paid to ny ..

Primary residence is not a choice of convenience…because my car is principally parked in New York it had to be insured in ny or it is insurance fraud …..it can only be insured in ny if I have a ny regi and so on down the line right down to the drivers license . I must pay income tax to ny not PA .

So there are other things that go along with the residency like a drivers license that can gum up the qualifying for a permit as a “ resident “

That is why you need to furnish a ny drivers license when you apply as a resident here as it is the ny license that locks in the residency qualification and it can mean if you do but don’t actually live here as a primary you are committing both tax and insurance fraud.

So you are really talking about getting a non resident ny permit , good luck with that

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-27-2022 at 04:25 AM..

Old 01-27-2022, 05:18 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Oh come now. How many handgun owners on Long Island got them “legally”? I didn’t. Still have both.
WOW
REAL stupid to admit if true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island