Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 06:29 AM

107,518 posts, read 110,023,507 times

Advertisements

One other thing I want to mention that I have mention before in other discussions here .

as pointed out many times by trainers the shotgun comes with lots of bad myths and poor tactics .

Yes, every American who has ever watched an action movie knows the sound of a shotgun slide being racked. but are you going to bet your life the drug addict who has come into your home with a pistol who is planning on doing you , your wife or kids harm is going to hear the scary sound while high and pay attention ? they don't even realize they have been shot most of the time . so what chance does a noise have .

The other problem is you have to be close enough to your threat for them to hear you.

Racking the slide will pop the round out of the chamber .

You are basically walking into a danger zone with an unloaded weapon. The usual response to this is, “I’m real quick with racking the slide. It won’t matter'

this is more mental masturbation because they lack realistic training.

In all honesty, you will not rack the slide quick enough. You will only rise to the level of training you have mastered.

I have never seen any training methods where you practice sneaking up on a criminal with an unloaded gun and make a scary noise .

or the person says they will have the shotgun loaded, but will rack it again when they get close.

I can’t even begin to know why any person in their right mind would take a live shell out of the chamber of a weapon, giving them one fewer round to protect his or her life in order to make a scary noise.

Scary noises are not a good tactic for saving your life, just like a rape whistle will never replace a gun. Arrive to the fight ready to fight, not with a scary noise making device.

you also need to properly point that shotgun in order to not miss . a shotgun in close quarters is similar to shooting a rifle as far as hitting something .

at close range a spread on a shotgun ranges from the width of a pack of cigarettes to the width of a tennis ball . the chances of a miss are pretty good while shaking and you still need to get that nice long gun at least up to eye level to keep from missing even at close range which is not easy to do in close quarters .

the biggest problem with long arms is if you are alone and capture the bad guy , good luck trying to keep that rifle or shotgun trained on the perp while dialing a phone , especially a cell phone .

I have tried that in training and I can’t do it

if anything injures your arm you can't rack a shot gun either or use a rifle . needing two hands to use something can be a real problem , especially at such close range ..

they are also loud enough indoors to cause permanent hearing loss .

there are just so many reasons why trying to use any sort of long arm is a bad choice usually for urban home defense ,that just buying one is almost a waste without close quarters combat training .

So a shotgun can be devastating from a fixed position in a safe room , but if that is not the case a hand gun is far more versatile and maneuverable in close quarters.

It is like artillery vs the foot soldier….shotguns go with the handgun , not instead of it.

Military or Law enforcement do not go wandering around alone with long arms . They would be way to exposed

Typically Entry Teams are armed with M4 carbines, M16 rifles, MP5 smgs, m9 beretta 9mm pistols and 12-guage shotguns usually a semi auto benelli m4 .

but the shotguns are used as part of a total fire team . not wandering around by themselves .

an entry team has quite a few positions in order to cover all contingencies close quarters presents , the 2nd defenseman may get the shotgun , it is usually a 9 man team
Entry Element
1 x Team Leader
1 x Pointman
1 x 1st Defenseman
1 x 2nd Defenseman
1 x Rear Security
Cover Element / 2nd Entry Element
2 x Marksmen
2 x Observers / Recorders

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-07-2022 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 06:50 AM

107,518 posts, read 110,023,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Unless I am mistaken, "the right to bear arms" is not a simplistic an interpretation as you state.
It is when the person making the statement has no clue about the subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island