Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 01:07 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
NOPE , I tried that in my county and they said they were not issuing non resident carry permits anymore

Here is the official letter terminating non resident

https://cms7files.revize.com/pikecou...onResident.pdf
Correct for Pike county. There are still several counties in PA that issue a non-resident license.

It's been a while, but I do recall it being much easier for non-NYC residents to get the non-resident PA license. That's because the NYC license is a Premise license, while the rest of the state issues a full carry license (with or with restrictions). Since the restrictions are technically administrative, the PA counties had no problem issuing a full carry non-resident license.

FWIW, PA is an open carry state. You do not need a license to open carry a handgun*. However, carrying in a vehicle (open or concealed) is considered concealed and needs a license.

*different rules can apply in big cities. None of the above is legal advice. It's up to the individual to know and understand the laws involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 01:12 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Correct for Pike county. There are still several counties in PA that issue a non-resident license.

It's been a while, but I do recall it being much easier for non-NYC residents to get the non-resident PA license. That's because the NYC license is a Premise license, while the rest of the state issues a full carry license (with or with restrictions). Since the restrictions are technically administrative, the PA counties had no problem issuing a full carry non-resident license.

FWIW, PA is an open carry state. You do not need a license to open carry a handgun*. However, carrying in a vehicle (open or concealed) is considered concealed and needs a license.

*different rules can apply in big cities. None of the above is legal advice. It's up to the individual to know and understand the laws involved.
The dilemma was also that the nyc premise permit is not valid out of state ….so anything you may own is not legally held in pa …..whatever you own in pa must be legally held …..so nothing you own could be brought in to pa….

So if you did get a non resident permit you have to start fresh with a new legally held purchase.

But it was off the table regardless since our second home was in pike county

Old 01-31-2022, 11:33 AM

79 posts, read 91,992 times
Quote:
NOPE , I tried that in my county and they said they were not issuing non resident carry permits anymore

Here is the official letter terminating non resident

https://cms7files.revize.com/pikecou...onResident.pdf

Now that you post that, I remember when i first tried to get my PA NR, i called all the neighboring border counties to ask if they issued for NY because i wanted to go to the closest one but none of them offered, or they didnt offer for NY licensees. I ended up getting it while en-route to Hershey Park (3 hours away @ Lebanon) and i just renewed this summer. 20 min OTD, received in 2 weeks.

Then again, that NYC permit is screwy with all those restrictions

Old 01-31-2022, 12:15 PM

874 posts, read 728,875 times
Quote:
Just try it and get caught with it ..tell us how perfectly legal it is .that deserves another one

You are committing a felony if caught.

Another subject you are commenting on that you know nothing about
I'm not the OP, I'm just saying he has a right to bear arms and if the red tape is in the way, maybe he should sue or go to a gun friendly state. I heard he could just buy a shotgun with no permit or anything, or a rifle

Old 01-31-2022, 01:29 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
The dilemma was also that the nyc premise permit is not valid out of state ….so anything you may own is not legally held in pa …..whatever you own in pa must be legally held …..so nothing you own could be brought in to pa….
Which is why I mentioned it has traditionally been more difficult for NYC residents to get the PA non-resident license. The premise permit makes things difficult with other states.

Quote:
So if you did get a non resident permit you have to start fresh with a new legally held purchase.
Interesting, although I don't see how that would make a difference. The PA non-resident license doesn't list what you own. It's simply a license. Once you have the license, you can carry. What you wrote is contrary to everything I have seen from NY (and NYC) friends who have received the license and contrary to all information the PA licensing authority has provided.

Quote:
But it was off the table regardless since our second home was in pike county
Irrelevant. You apply using a NY license. You can apply in any PA county. Most who apply do not own property in PA. The only thing taking it off the table for you would be a reluctance to drive to a different county to apply (assuming most or all of the counties did away with mail-in applications).

Your only hurdle is the NYC Premise issue. Some research should uncover one or more counties where that would not be a major issue.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:33 PM

I sold the house a decade ago ..I have no use for a pa permit at all .

I only care about New York

Old 01-31-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
I'm not the OP, I'm just saying he has a right to bear arms and if the red tape is in the way, maybe he should sue or go to a gun friendly state. I heard he could just buy a shotgun with no permit or anything, or a rifle

While anyone can buy a rifle or shotgun WITH A DRIVERS LICENSE IN NY , YOU CANNOT POSSESS IT IN NYC WITHOUT A PERMIT .

You would have to buy it and store it somewhere else out of the city if that is where you live

Most gun stores in Long Island and westchester have been asked to upload to nypd , any long arm purchases by nyc residents who do not have a nyc rife shotgun permit .

some don’t even want to sell to nyc residents who have no permit for long arms so they can avoid getting caught up and testifying in any prosecution of the resident .

Nypd can investigate to see where that purchase is kept and to verify who it is claimed to be with .

Long arms have very limited use if home defense is your intention …

A shotgun is best when used From a stationary position like from cover in a safe room waiting for the bad guy to come to you .

You never want to go roaming the house with a shotgun to check out noises , round up family or events .
Only a hand gun is a good idea ..

Leverage aint your friend and a long arm can easily be grabbed and leveraged away …

So think of long arms as you would artillery.. while hand guns are the foot soldiers

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-31-2022 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-07-2022, 05:51 AM

73 posts, read 33,035 times
Quote:
While anyone can buy a rifle or shotgun WITH A DRIVERS LICENSE IN NY , YOU CANNOT POSSESS IT IN NYC WITHOUT A PERMIT .

You would have to buy it and store it somewhere else out of the city if that is where you live

Most gun stores in Long Island and westchester have been asked to upload to nypd , any long arm purchases by nyc residents who do not have a nyc rife shotgun permit .

some don’t even want to sell to nyc residents who have no permit for long arms so they can avoid getting caught up and testifying in any prosecution of the resident .

Nypd can investigate to see where that purchase is kept and to verify who it is claimed to be with .

Long arms have very limited use if home defense is your intention …

A shotgun is best when used From a stationary position like from cover in a safe room waiting for the bad guy to come to you .

You never want to go roaming the house with a shotgun to check out noises , round up family or events .
Only a hand gun is a good idea ..

Leverage aint your friend and a long arm can easily be grabbed and leveraged away …

So think of long arms as you would artillery.. while hand guns are the foot soldiers
Long guns are far better than handguns for just about any home defense situation.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEATSHIRT View Post
Long guns are far better than handguns for just about any home defense situation.
False …

I have had quite a bit of training and a real life experience on this fact ..

Long arms are only recommended from a stationary position for civilians ….they are not what you want to use to walk around the house checking out noises , turning corners in the house. , or rounding up family members or opening the front door

They are best used from a safe room behind cover .

They are extremely easy to have leveraged away when that barrel is grabbed .

They are near impossible to dial a phone with while keeping a bad guy covered .

They are way over penetrating and can hit family members .

Shotguns can also have a lot of recoil and at close range the spread of shot is barely as wide as a cigarette pack so missing is easy for a shaking scared civilian .

They can be extremely difficult to use if an arm is injured ..

Nothing beats a snubby hammerless revolver for checking out things in the house …they are very hard to grab and they always go bang with no safety , no slide , no jams .

They can even be slipped in a robe pocket and fired from within a pocket multiple times without ever producing it …a semi auto pistol can not do that since the slide has to operate .

For a handgun for use in the home ,I like something like the S&W 640 hammerless with p+ ammo .

I actually used it in a situation .

It was perfect for the situation.

When I lived in kew garden hills all the homes on the blocks where were lived were cookie cutter .

One night I was woken up to loud banging on the door ….

I threw on a robe and slipped the 640 in my pocket .

I kept going who is it , but i couldn’t understand what they were saying .

Being I was surrounded by elderly neighbors I thought it may be one of my neighbors in distress but I couldn’t see in the dark .

So with the 640 in my robe and pointed at the subject I opened the door .

It was a drunk guy who barely spoke English …he was at the right house where his friends lived but wrong block .

He thought he was at his buddy’s house party .

He had no idea a firearm was pointed right at him and I never had to remove it from my pocket . You can be charged with brandishing pulling a gun out on someone without deadly threat

These are the reasons long arms do not replace handguns …they each have a different roll to fill . Ideally you want both .

Long arms are a great defense firearm from a fixed position but handguns are the choice for going mobile

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-07-2022 at 06:49 AM..

Old 02-07-2022, 06:23 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
Unless I am mistaken, "the right to bear arms" is not a simplistic an interpretation as you state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island