Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 10:13 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

What constitutes as primary residence on LI when applying/buying firearms? I may have an opportunity to switch my address, or move to LI.

Does it just require changing my Drivers License? What is needed as proof? Do all my insurances have to be switched? Is it about mailing addresses though? Can I still have mailing addresses outside of LI or is that strictly prohibited? Do I just need to have a signed rental lease, or deed?

I do not plan on owning any RE on LI, but I can likely pretend or really rent on LI. I should be able to skirt NYC gun laws, and or be completely free of them. Will the police actually want to inspect any firearms I have and visit the location I claim to reside at?

Some of you probably wonder well, is it really worth it to move to LI a place with high COL just to buy a gun? I have other reasons I may be moving. I may not though. This is just for info. I may want to stay where I am at, but have an opportunity to claim LI residence if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 10:55 AM

544 posts, read 940,199 times
Last I heard, Nassau County was sitting on their applications.

Suffolk County's requirements:
https://suffolkpd.org/portals/18/scp.../PDCS-4016.pdf

Merely changing your driver's license it not going to cut it.
There are several types of permits.
Your firearms need to be brought into Yaphank and checked, they will be registered with the County.
It has been a while, so my memory is a little foggy.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:07 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What constitutes as primary residence on LI when applying/buying firearms? I may have an opportunity to switch my address, or move to LI.

Does it just require changing my Drivers License? What is needed as proof? Do all my insurances have to be switched? Is it about mailing addresses though? Can I still have mailing addresses outside of LI or is that strictly prohibited? Do I just need to have a signed rental lease, or deed?

I do not plan on owning any RE on LI, but I can likely pretend or really rent on LI. I should be able to skirt NYC gun laws, and or be completely free of them. Will the police actually want to inspect any firearms I have and visit the location I claim to reside at?

Some of you probably wonder well, is it really worth it to move to LI a place with high COL just to buy a gun? I have other reasons I may be moving. I may not though. This is just for info. I may want to stay where I am at, but have an opportunity to claim LI residence if at all possible.
GETTING A A GUN PERMIT HAS BEEN VERY STRICT THE LAST FEW YEARS. they do background checks. Why would you pretend to live on LI? I would not lie to get a gun or permit. do you have a permit in NJ or any guns presently? I know several people who own guns and have permits and the way you plan to go about is just wrong IMO. Be careful. Good luck trying to get a permit or gun by lying.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:21 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
I say this in the nicest way possible. You are idiot, the fact that you would even contemplate switching your address to attempt at getting a gun permit means you shouldn't be given a deadly weapon. Luckily it's insanely hard and time consuming to get a pistol permit in Nassau or Suffolk!

Old 01-25-2022, 11:22 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I say this in the nicest way possible. You are idiot, the fact that you would even contemplate switching your address to attempt at getting a gun permit means you shouldn't be given a deadly weapon. Luckily it's insanely hard and time consuming to get a pistol permit in Nassau or Suffolk!

Old 01-25-2022, 12:17 PM

690 posts, read 584,982 times
Quote:

They will do a full background check on you, including some medical history if you're on certain types of medication. In addition, I don't think it's the wisest idea to be bringing a gun into NYC. You better make sure it's legal there, and you have it stored properly and legally. Although criminals are allowed to have as many guns as they want, with little to no repercussion, do NOT think that courtesy would be extended to you. The DA's would be chomping at the bit to make an example out of someone like you. I'd think long and hard before you attempted to do this. IMO NY is not the place to try and "skirt" the law, as a law abiding citizen. This is coming from someone who had multiples guns, and a pistol permit while living in Nassau. My suggestion would be to move out of NY, best thing I've done in years. Best of luck.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:27 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:

Let me sum this up

Old 01-25-2022, 12:32 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Nassau county

Pistol License Questionnaire.
i. Character references: should be US citizens and must be Nassau County residents who
have known the applicant for a minimum of 1 year. The following categories of people are unacceptable as character references:
1. Relatives, by either blood or marriage,
2. Active law enforcement officers,
3. Husband and wife combinations,
4. Two or more members of the same family or household.
The character references will be listed on the questionnaire. Individual forms will be provided for each character reference to complete.
ii. If you answer “Yes” to any question from #1 through #19, you must attach a notarized statement on an 8 1⁄2” x 11” sheet of paper explaining each answer in complete detail. This is in addition to any information requested in a specific question.

You must obtain and submit a NYS driving record history also called a “lifetime abstract”. This document is available through the NYS DMV web site located at www.dmv.ny.gov. The specific link for the instructions and form is https://dmv.ny.gov/get-my-own-lifetime-driving-record. Have the document sent to yourself and submit it with your application.

Identification.
i. Current NYS driver license showing a Nassau County address. A Post Office Box is
unacceptable, and
ii. Birth Certificate or Passport.
iii. If born in a foreign country, you must submit a copy of your naturalization certificate or
your alien registration card. The alien registration number is necessary to process your fingerprints. In addition, we will need to see your passport or birth certificate.
Note: If you do not have a NYS driver license. You must provide two proofs of residence from the list below. At least one of these must be in your name.
c. Proof of Residence.
i. Major utility bill, gas, water, electric only, or
ii. Tax bill.
iii. Applicants residing with their parents or who do not have one of the above in their name
must submit a notarized letter from their parents or the person whose name is on the document stating that the applicant resides at that location and they have no objection to the weapon being on the premises.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:16 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
You can't lie yourself into a pistol permit. I've had multiple background checks performed for a variety of reasons and that one was by far the most thorough. It' not just paperwork, they literally assign a police officer in the pistol division to research your case, and if you're just a regular civilian, any funny business will be an automatic denial, pretty much barring you from ever applying again.

In any event, a Nassau-issued pistol permit isn't valid in NYC. NYC has its own licensing system, which is even more onerous. So unless you're actually residing in Nassau, there's no point.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:16 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times
LOVE this thread.
A troll or a LEO trap.
all info is available on the NET.
Follow up questions will be [ feel free to add]
Buy a "gun" cash
Buy A "gun" with out a back ground check
full auto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island