Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 04:41 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,354,131 times

Advertisements

I was out in Commack today for work and struck up a conversation with a client's son. This young man (20 years old) told me that he'd just taken the NYPD exam and was waiting to be called - I tried hard NOT to roll my eyes, and this is NOT a slam against the NYPD, but I suggested to him: "Look, you live on L.I., why don't you just go for Nassau or Suffolk PD, Sheriff's Dept., or even try for the State Troopers. NYC is like the Wild West now, given all the shootings going on! I would think that Nassau, Suffolk, or even the Troopers are better paying, with a higher morale. Moreover, the NYPD has a turnover rate like never before - cops quitting, or taking early retirement because of all the craziness.

Also, it's my understanding that with the State Troopers, you get to take your patrol car home at night. I could be wrong, but I've seen State Trooper cars parked in driveways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM

1,282 posts, read 572,939 times
NYPD is the largest and easiest to get hired on. It also has more specialty units than the other agencies, if that is of interest to the applicant as a career goal. All of the other departments you mentioned typically have tens of thousands of applicants take the exam for maybe a few hundred jobs every few years... and many of those are taken by cops leaving other law enforcement agencies. If anything, you should encourage him to apply for all jobs in the field and take whatever calls first, even if he ultimately wants to end up with another agency.

Did he specifically say he isn't pursuing any other law enforcement job?

Old 01-25-2022, 06:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 773,181 times
Might help change this mind

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....quirement/amp/

“ During a Monday news conference that followed his speech on gun violence, Adams said it “makes no sense” that cops aren’t required to live in the Big Apple.

Cops are “technically” never off-duty if they see crimes being committed, Adams said, noting that city residents were “paying for other counties to be safe.”

Might be required to live in nyc soon enough. And provide 24/7 police

Old 01-25-2022, 07:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,541,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I was out in Commack today for work and struck up a conversation with a client's son. This young man (20 years old) told me that he'd just taken the NYPD exam and was waiting to be called - I tried hard NOT to roll my eyes, and this is NOT a slam against the NYPD, but I suggested to him: "Look, you live on L.I., why don't you just go for Nassau or Suffolk PD, Sheriff's Dept., or even try for the State Troopers. NYC is like the Wild West now, given all the shootings going on! I would think that Nassau, Suffolk, or even the Troopers are better paying, with a higher morale. Moreover, the NYPD has a turnover rate like never before - cops quitting, or taking early retirement because of all the craziness.

Also, it's my understanding that with the State Troopers, you get to take your patrol car home at night. I could be wrong, but I've seen State Trooper cars parked in driveways.
There are less than 2500 Suffolk County cops. Less than 2,500 Nassau Cops. You are in a “Lottery” (It is like hitting to lotto!) to get chosen amongst those who scored at least 100 on the test. Many score much higher do to Veterans preference. So, chances are very slim to get called for a “Lottery” picking. There are also TENS OF THOUSANDS of people who take the test for a few hundred positions.

There are 5,000 State Troops. Still hard to get in, unless you score VERY WELL. Must also be willing to work anywhere in NYS

I took the NYS Court Officers test many, many moons ago. Over 100,000 people took the test for a few hundred jobs.

There are 40,000 NYC cops. Chances of getting called are much greater. Some take the NYC job while waiting to be called for Nassau or Suffolk.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:33 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,788,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
There are less than 2500 Suffolk County cops. Less than 2,500 Nassau Cops. You are in a “Lottery” (It is like hitting to lotto!) to get chosen amongst those who scored at least 100 on the test. Many score much higher do to Veterans preference. So, chances are very slim to get called for a “Lottery” picking. There are also TENS OF THOUSANDS of people who take the test for a few hundred positions.

There are 5,000 State Troops. Still hard to get in, unless you score VERY WELL. Must also be willing to work anywhere in NYS

I took the NYS Court Officers test many, many moons ago. Over 100,000 people took the test for a few hundred jobs.

There are 40,000 NYC cops. Chances of getting called are much greater. Some take the NYC job while waiting to be called for Nassau or Suffolk.
All that is true but taking a job with the NYPD is crazier than ever today. The politicians there will hang you from a rail as soon as it’s politically expedient for them. Not to mention how poorly police are treated in NYC, and how emboldened criminals are due to the insane policies there. If someone really wants to go into LE there are tons of options out there not least of which are outside of New York State.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post

“ During a Monday news conference that followed his speech on gun violence, Adams said it “makes no sense” that cops aren’t required to live in the Big Apple.

Cops are “technically” never off-duty if they see crimes being committed, Adams said, noting that city residents were “paying for other counties to be safe.”

Yeah I saw that. He had zero power to change the residency requirement though. It’s a state law.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post

Bloomberg tried that. Didn't work! Can't afford NYC rents on a patrolman's salary. Some NYPD cops are even living in Jersey (yet claiming NY addresses).

Old 01-25-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
NYPD is the largest and easiest to get hired on. It also has more specialty units than the other agencies, if that is of interest to the applicant as a career goal. All of the other departments you mentioned typically have tens of thousands of applicants take the exam for maybe a few hundred jobs every few years... and many of those are taken by cops leaving other law enforcement agencies. If anything, you should encourage him to apply for all jobs in the field and take whatever calls first, even if he ultimately wants to end up with another agency.

Did he specifically say he isn't pursuing any other law enforcement job?
He said that eventually he might try for the FBI, but I told him you need a 4-year Law degree before they even glance at you. And you're right about the selection ratio in terms of NYPD compared with the other departments - I didn't think of it that way.

Old 01-26-2022, 04:32 AM

1,282 posts, read 572,939 times
Also worth noting: most of the villages want trained police officers, because it's cheaper than sending a new hire to the academy. So if he wanted to be a cop in say Lynbrook, he would have a better chance being on NYPD than on the street. Even when the City has protested and demanded restitution for training (typically when an officer has been on the job a short time), the villages will gladly pay. A few years ago the settlement was around $25,000 fee to the city for a trained officer; the Village still made out on the deal, as opposed to paying an officer salary plus academy fees, and getting a fully trained and certified officer out of the deal.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
He said that eventually he might try for the FBI, but I told him you need a 4-year Law degree before they even glance at you. And you're right about the selection ratio in terms of NYPD compared with the other departments - I didn't think of it that way.
That’s not true at all, FBI has lots of hiring focuses, accounting degrees are huge, computer science and related are big too just to name a few. That being said FBI typically hires much older (avg hiring age 30 minimum age is 23) and you typically need 5-6 of professional experience to have a prayer (does not have to be LE or law experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island