Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 05:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 4,050,144 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a normal 20 year old who is romancing the job without really knowing what it’s like. Join the NYPD, he’ll soon see what real police work is like. In the meantime he should also take every exam that comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 02:32 PM

186 posts, read 111,777 times
This is what you sound like;

Whaddya (a recent college grad) want to work at [Local Bank] for? Goldman Sachs is the place to work!

Last edited by Parsifal; 01-26-2022 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-26-2022, 06:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 4,050,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
This is what you sound like;

Whaddya (a recent college grad) want to work at [Local Bank] for? Goldman Sachs is the place to work!
Are talking to me? You don’t think that working in the busiest police dept in the area would be the way to see what police work is really like? A cop in a busy NYPD precinct will see more in his/her 1st year on the street than a Long Island cop will see in 5. Never said “it’s the place to work” but its the place to see and experience the most.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:22 PM

186 posts, read 111,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Are talking to me? You don’t think that working in the busiest police dept in the area would be the way to see what police work is really like? A cop in a busy NYPD precinct will see more in his/her 1st year on the street than a Long Island cop will see in 5. Never said “it’s the place to work” but its the place to see and experience the most.
No I was agreeing with you. I was talking to It’s Rick 24. I agree, when you’re fresh out of school you have to take the job you are offered and where you can learn. I think NYPD would be a great experience for someone who really wants to experience policing. From what I’ve heard suburban police jobs are cushier.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:34 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,362,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
No I was agreeing with you. I was talking to It’s Rick 24. I agree, when you’re fresh out of school you have to take the job you are offered and where you can learn. I think NYPD would be a great experience for someone who really wants to experience policing. From what I’ve heard suburban police jobs are cushier.
I have to agree to a certain point...

Taking a job with the NYPD is "baptism by fire", if you will. By the same, if he goes to a suburban PD, he might not see as much "action" (term used loosely) but coming from the NYPD, he'd be much more ready for anything, 'cause he'll have seen it all by then.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:59 AM

975 posts, read 1,427,971 times
With the police departments north of NYC, they get many of their cops from NYPD. NYPD trains them (both at the academy, and then on the job), and the suburban departments get the benefit of a cop fully trained on someone else's nickel. Even with the current state of affairs in the city, still a good idea to start there, and then make sure you take the tests and complete applications to get hired outside the city at the right time.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:24 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,799,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
With the police departments north of NYC, they get many of their cops from NYPD. NYPD trains them (both at the academy, and then on the job), and the suburban departments get the benefit of a cop fully trained on someone else's nickel. Even with the current state of affairs in the city, still a good idea to start there, and then make sure you take the tests and complete applications to get hired outside the city at the right time.
Not on LI (except some villages it varies), even if you were NYPD you go to full Suffolk or Nassau academy like everyone else.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:07 PM

1,298 posts, read 580,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Not on LI (except some villages it varies), even if you were NYPD you go to full Suffolk or Nassau academy like everyone else.
Not necessarily true. Villages will send brand new uncertified cops to the County academies, but tend to take NYPD and send them for in house training. Why spend 6 months salary plus academy fees for an officer to receive the same certification he already has?

(I'm not talking about NYPD coming out to work for Nassau or Suffolk. Those cops do the full academy. I'm talking villages)

Old 01-28-2022, 03:16 AM

5,095 posts, read 3,990,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I was out in Commack today for work and struck up a conversation with a client's son. This young man (20 years old) told me that he'd just taken the NYPD exam and was waiting to be called - I tried hard NOT to roll my eyes, and this is NOT a slam against the NYPD, but I suggested to him: "Look, you live on L.I., why don't you just go for Nassau or Suffolk PD, Sheriff's Dept., or even try for the State Troopers. NYC is like the Wild West now, given all the shootings going on! I would think that Nassau, Suffolk, or even the Troopers are better paying, with a higher morale. Moreover, the NYPD has a turnover rate like never before - cops quitting, or taking early retirement because of all the craziness.

Also, it's my understanding that with the State Troopers, you get to take your patrol car home at night. I could be wrong, but I've seen State Trooper cars parked in driveways.
Sounds like the kid has done due diligence regarding immediate opportunities and policing. As others have pointed out.

It is also true that there seems to be a rash of violence in the city and cops are in greater danger. (One imagines the failed experiments regarding bail reform, reduced sentences, ending stop and frisk, ignoring quality of life violations, permitting violent marchers, etc. will be yanked by the new mayor … hopefully it is not too late)

Old 01-28-2022, 09:27 AM

20,998 posts, read 28,562,525 times
if it were me I would mind my own business and just tell the young guy good luck I hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island