Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 07:22 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times

Advertisements

I was an Albertson gal. Married a GC guy who lived in RVC. Got to RVC and was beyond astonished at the attitude I caught. FWIW, I commuted for over 30 years. In Albertson, everyone (ok little exaggeration) said, Hi or a nod or whatever in the morning and while I knew a lot of them, many came from the neighboring areas and we had free parking - so there were many I did not know. I move to RVC, and the noses were either buried in the paper or they would look right thorough you (again, not all but most).

There are people and there are people, regardless of color or ethnicity and people all bring their own personalities and biases and opinions with them. I would generically say that RVC is less friendly than Albertson, but maybe the people on the later train were friendlier and I just happened to be earlier.

P.S. Moved back to Albertson
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 07:57 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As Asians, I do not anticipate any problems. If you were Jewish or Black, as another poster said, I would advise you to look elsewhere.

In the 1950s through 1970s, it was a WASP area, with many businessmen and professionals. It was built as a bedroom community for NYC commuters. There is not much of a village or downtown.

The housing stock is beautiful and stately. Many pre-WWII homes, many with an English Tudor, brick or colonial style.

As far as schools are concerned, in that price range there are no "bad" schools on Long Island. Some are better fits for some families that others. Garden City is a very "Jockey" school. Much attention is given to athletes. More than I personally prefer.

The demographics have changed quite a but since it was built as a restrictive covenant community. While once a White Protestant area, now it is largely Roman Catholic, with many Irish and Italian families. While they will not be prejudiced against you, or resent your presence in the community, you may not be welcomed into the community the way you would if you were a Catholic family that is Irish and Italian. Incidentally, I would say the same thing if you were a Swedish and Norwegian Lutheran family moving to LI from the Mid-West, a Scottish Presbyterian family, or a Heinze 57 Variety family that isn't involved with their ethnic roots and attends the local Episcopal Church on Christmas and Easter. They will be nice, but you are not "one of them". Foods, traditions, Catholic occasions such as First Communions, Christenings and so forth, are big events that involve family, and frequently neighbors and friends.

I never understood the draw of Garden City. On Long Island, I'd prefer to be closer to the LI Sound (North Shore) or Atlantic Ocean (South Shore). The center of Long Island is significantly hotter than are The Shores.
You will also border on some lower income neighborhoods where crime is prevalent. The area is convenient to shopping, but there is lots of traffic. I think there are better choices.

Not only because you are Asian.
always a hoot when former residents of MASTIC chime in to knock Garden City.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:25 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Interesting, because I know for a fact that as an Irish/American catholic who is 50 years old born and raised in Queens that my family WOULD NOT BE WELCOME IN CHINESE FLUSHING OR ANY BLACK/JEWISH NEIGHBORHOOD.

Try being Irish and living in Flushing in 2022, the hood I grew up in. The anti American racism from foreign born Chinese is beyond belief. But the media never talks about this one.

Try being Irish and raising a family in let's say Bed Stuy, South Bronx or any black neighborhood. Won't be long before you're chased out by thugs.

Try being Irish and living in Great Neck amongst the conservative Jews. Lol. That ain't gonna last long.

Try being Irish and living in Corona amongst the Hispanics. I give you a week before you're assaulted. Just ask my buddy.

So I love how "people of color," whatever that means, are quick to point out racism in places like GC. Look in the mirror, you racists.
I lived in Flushing in the 1980s when I was first married. Rents were inexpensive as opposed to Nassau County.

Main St. was a nightmare. I am a mix of white European nationalities, but I am obviously white with fair skin, green eyes and blond hair. The shop keepers were not only unfriendly, but some were also rude and aggressive.

The constantly followed us around the shops and obviously thought everyone was stealing.

This is why I prefer diversity.

PS - in Flushing I believe the shop keepers were Korean and not Chinese.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:39 PM

226 posts, read 128,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Interesting, because I know for a fact that as an Irish/American catholic who is 50 years old born and raised in Queens that my family WOULD NOT BE WELCOME IN CHINESE FLUSHING OR ANY BLACK/JEWISH NEIGHBORHOOD.

Try being Irish and living in Flushing in 2022, the hood I grew up in. The anti American racism from foreign born Chinese is beyond belief. But the media never talks about this one.

Try being Irish and raising a family in let's say Bed Stuy, South Bronx or any black neighborhood. Won't be long before you're chased out by thugs.

Try being Irish and living in Great Neck amongst the conservative Jews. Lol. That ain't gonna last long.

Try being Irish and living in Corona amongst the Hispanics. I give you a week before you're assaulted. Just ask my buddy.

So I love how "people of color," whatever that means, are quick to point out racism in places like GC. Look in the mirror, you racists.
You seem to have the same life story, same racial obsessions, and same victim mentality as that QueensGuy72 person. What a small world we live in.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:06 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
always a hoot when former residents of MASTIC chime in to knock Garden City.
I would take Mastic over GC every time. If I HAD to choose.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:08 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
I would take Mastic over GC every time. If I HAD to choose.
never change, Karl....

Old 07-07-2022, 05:24 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
never change, Karl....
Ha ha!! I knew it!!

Old 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM

12 posts, read 29,889 times
It may have traffic but 've never been "stuck" in traffic in central Nassau county, of which GC is the core. North Shore has horrendous traffic as it is all peninsulas and you need to get to Northern Boulevard to get anywhere. South shore has the same issues and does not have the road capacity of Central Nassau. I guess I don't see the pull of the Nort Shore

Old 07-19-2022, 04:34 PM

90 posts, read 66,754 times
Default traffic traffic everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrByChoice View Post
It may have traffic but 've never been "stuck" in traffic in central Nassau county, of which GC is the core. North Shore has horrendous traffic as it is all peninsulas and you need to get to Northern Boulevard to get anywhere. South shore has the same issues and does not have the road capacity of Central Nassau. I guess I don't see the pull of the Nort Shore
Yes, traffic in GC area isn't as bad as other places, but OCR and H Tpk can be pretty terrible. My hybrid Toyota gets 50 mpg tho, and satellite radio has no commercials on most stations, LOL. I just grin and bear it.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:51 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is not much of a village or downtown.
I don't really feel like digging into the rest of your post, this was hilarious enough. Seventh Street and Franklin Avenue aren't a "downtown"? Lmfao. GC has more of a "downtown" than most places on LI.

There are plenty of Asians in GC, OP. No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island