Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 04:11 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times

Advertisements

Most Suffolk towns have no sewers or sewer taxes. If you’re not bothered by the idea of living on top of your own feces, then it may be for you. Nothing worse than a cesspool backing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 04:19 PM

262 posts, read 149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Most Suffolk towns have no sewers or sewer taxes. If you’re not bothered by the idea of living on top of your own feces, then it may be for you. Nothing worse than a cesspool backing up.
Yes i noticed they are all on septic tank or cesspool. Also on well water... Does well water come from the same location as the septic or cesspool, but just drilled deeper? I assume theres no risk of the waste water flowing down into well water?

Old 03-29-2022, 12:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 567,205 times
3rd world country out there. They have cable tv yet?
Dumb folk paying 800k-1000000+++ to live in squalor.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:13 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
Looking at different areas, i found westhampton and eastward towards hampton bays to have one of the lowest property taxes on long island. a 900k house has taxes of around 6-7k. whys it so low relative to other areas of long island which are typically over 10-20k+ for the same house? Is there a catch?
In some cases you have very high end homes which contribute to the tax base. However, I would say the bigger factor is you have many people who have second homes in the area, so they are contributing to the tax base without using the schools. As a result the school expenditure is spread across more properties than what a similar school expenditure would in other parts of the Island.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:30 PM

36 posts, read 23,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I know and part of Roslyn and East hill in Nassau are still on septic or cesspool. only reason i choose not to live there.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:56 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
looks like on the north shore, mattituck all the way east to Orient also have lower taxes , im guessing for the same reason of less students and school taxes
There are also many very old houses that haven’t changed hands much. New builds start with much higher taxes.

It is also very easy to grieve taxes in Southold town. I walked into town hall with no appointment, and talked directly to the town assessor. He took out the property card, we fixed some mistakes, and he said he would look at the assessment. Two weeks later I had a 10% reduction.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:02 AM

717 posts, read 618,927 times
But you have to live near all the obnoxious rich folks then deal with the low life's at the bars acting like moronic drunks all night. Enjoy!

Old 04-03-2022, 04:46 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
In some cases you have very high end homes which contribute to the tax base. However, I would say the bigger factor is you have many people who have second homes in the area, so they are contributing to the tax base without using the schools. As a result the school expenditure is spread across more properties than what a similar school expenditure would in other parts of the Island.
Yes. Also, the OP may be unaware of any commercial tax base in the school district which, of course, has an enormous bearing on residential home property taxes.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:58 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
All of long island is "well water." The water authority might dig deeper, but it is still comes from the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island