Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 08:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Uh huh how exactly is the IRS supposed to track down the piano teacher? If you want to put the screws to someone by paying in cash you are kinda defeating the purpose of paying in cash. When I've wanted to put the screws to people I ask for their SSN so their income can be reported but again - the OP said he paid cash to save $$$. It never ceases to amaze me what the general public thinks the government AND private business is capable of....people watch way too much tv.

Presumably this person works by word of mouth. The way to approach someone like this is to start positive and add a little white lie - we're so grateful for your time but our child has become really miserable taking piano lessons and we feel like another instrument would be a better fit so they tried out the violin (or whatever you know this person DOESN'T teach) and are gonna go that route. I'd appreciate a refund on the remaining lessons and will be sure to tell our friends about your business.

Is that so hard??? I know this is NY but the immediate jump to a confrontation is never the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 10:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsogreat View Post
I have prepaid for 20 piano lessons for my kid and unfortunately it's not working out with the teacher. Long story short now we want to leave the teacher but still have 10 lessons left (only half way through). The teacher is a difficult character (reason why I want to leave) and I'm sure she'll pull out all the stops. I paid in cash so aside from some emails talking about lesson times, I don't have any form of receipt. If the teacher refuses a refund for remaining lessons, is there anything I can do or at least file a complaint? Need help please! Thank you.
As a musician myself for decades, I took many lessons throughout the years. Those pre-paid lessons are just that, pre-paid. If I couldn’t make it THAT DAY, I lost the lesson for that day. If I gave a few days notice, some teachers would credit me the day. Without a contact, there isn’t anything that states the terms & conditions. Going forward, I always paid the day of my lesson, without pre-paying for multiple lessons. Just in case I run into a situation like yours.

I’d use the remaining lessons & make the best of it.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsogreat View Post
Paid cash as that's the teacher's preference. No benefit either way to me, not as if I get a better rate by paying cash. I want to handle this civilly believe me.
OK. So, essentially this is an off the books teacher. I would have a very nice convo with her and say that since you requested payment in cash, I obliged. We are not happy with the results and therefore are requesting a refund. First I would ask, why she would want a dissatisfied client as clearly it is detrimental to her business. If she still says no, I would remind her that it would be to her benefit to refund your money as obviously you are not reporting this as income. I would be willing to walk away and not give a bad review of your teaching methods, however, if we can't reach an agreement, you leave me with little choice other than to post bad reviews and report you. You don't have to report anything, but it may provide you with a little leverage if she is concerned about it.

As others have said, it will not even move the IRS needle but if she had a brain in her head she will yield to your wishes. OF course, if you get your money back - you should not publicly review her. Lastly, that is a lesson you should learn to pay all with a check or get a receipt.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:43 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Uh huh how exactly is the IRS supposed to track down the piano teacher? If you want to put the screws to someone by paying in cash you are kinda defeating the purpose of paying in cash. When I've wanted to put the screws to people I ask for their SSN so their income can be reported but again - the OP said he paid cash to save $$$. It never ceases to amaze me what the general public thinks the government AND private business is capable of....people watch way too much tv.

Presumably this person works by word of mouth. The way to approach someone like this is to start positive and add a little white lie - we're so grateful for your time but our child has become really miserable taking piano lessons and we feel like another instrument would be a better fit so they tried out the violin (or whatever you know this person DOESN'T teach) and are gonna go that route. I'd appreciate a refund on the remaining lessons and will be sure to tell our friends about your business.

Is that so hard??? I know this is NY but the immediate jump to a confrontation is never the way to go.
The above sounds like the best approach.

Did you sign a contract? Music teachers who require students to pay for a certain number of lessons in advance usually have some sort of make up lesson policy. 20 lessons in advance seems a bit much.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:55 PM

731 posts, read 724,295 times
Tough nuts you lose. I'd like to hear the teacher's side of the story.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:50 PM

450 posts, read 385,563 times
Did teacher sign something in return giving you 20 prepaid lessons or did you just pay cash and hope the teacher shows up 20 times?
I know you said there is no receipt, but how did you guarantee 20 lessons by paying upfront?

Old 03-31-2022, 07:48 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Good luck.. the IRS has a lot more important issues to deal with than a measly case of unreported income especially if the OP cannot show any evidence that the piano teacher is in fact not reporting it.
Next time get a receipt and document the number of lessons given. Ever heard the term… buyer beware? That being said.. The IRS can’t find their butt with two hands and a flashlight.
No but they can sure tax you on it.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:34 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
sounds like you are SOOL

Old 04-03-2022, 01:45 PM

717 posts, read 618,927 times
If the teacher didn't offer and satisfaction guarantee policy then that's your problem. It was also very stupid to try 20 lessons in advance with a stranger

Let's face it most kids are not going to be the next billy Joel or guitar rock star and many quit because quite frankly they stink!

Old 04-03-2022, 09:27 PM

615 posts, read 447,835 times
Paying in advance was a poor decision, especially with no receipt.

Learn from it and move on. Or throw a brick through her window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: