Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 10:32 PM

11,175 posts, read 8,045,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
No but they can sure tax you on it.
Pretty naive of you if you think that the IRS is going to investigate one complaint over a few hundred dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 03:09 PM

3,310 posts, read 2,400,179 times
Just use the lessons. Bring any other child. You booked her time. She cannot refuse.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:11 PM

72 posts, read 42,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsogreat View Post
I have prepaid for 20 piano lessons for my kid and unfortunately it's not working out with the teacher. Long story short now we want to leave the teacher but still have 10 lessons left (only half way through). The teacher is a difficult character (reason why I want to leave) and I'm sure she'll pull out all the stops. I paid in cash so aside from some emails talking about lesson times, I don't have any form of receipt. If the teacher refuses a refund for remaining lessons, is there anything I can do or at least file a complaint? Need help please! Thank you.
That was not very smart on your part, was it?

Old 04-04-2022, 03:36 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,515,927 times
Former music teacher.

It's common practice to prepay for music lessons, but I've never heard of prepaying that far in advance. Typical practice around here is to pay the teacher at the first of the month for the entire month of lessons, just like you would for something like childcare. That way the teacher is ensured income as they are holding that spot for the student for the month.

It's also odd to pay in cash.

I would suspect you're just going to have to eat this and learn from your mistakes for next time. You only have two months left. If you really want to quibble over it, you could try telling the teacher that student has decided to give up piano. See if they will agree to accepting one month of notice as acceptable and agree to refund you the last 6 (I assume these are weekly lessons) lessons.

The problem is you really have no power here so if they say no, you've created an awkward situation for your kid. The alternative would be to just walk away from the lessons, or have your kid complete the lessons. There's really not someone to complain to when your kid and the teacher are a personality mismatch and you made the mistake of prepaying for 20 lessons, rather than paying for 4-5 lessons at a time like most people do, unfortunately.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:26 PM

726 posts, read 630,053 times
How petty! Are you such a low level rat that you would snitch on a piano teacher to the IRS over lessons. That is utterly pathetic!

Old 04-08-2022, 07:04 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,275,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
How petty! Are you such a low level rat that you would snitch on a piano teacher to the IRS over lessons. That is utterly pathetic!
I'm sorry but depending upon the circumstances there is nothing wrong with that other than it won't do anything. Why should the piano teacher keep money for lessons not rendered? Apparently this is not a "professional business" or else there would be a contract and no cash accepted or at the very least a contact and paid in full stamped or written on it.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:25 PM

726 posts, read 630,053 times
Long island is full of petty vindictive rats. Face the music your kid is probably horrible on the piano and can't be teached. Your looking to blame the teacher for there shortcomings . Like a poster said we only have one cry baby snitches side of the story and to be fair we haven't heard the teachers version!

Old 04-11-2022, 08:44 AM

22,748 posts, read 37,015,967 times
This whole thread is based on the title, which presumes that the piano teacher did refuse the refund, when the OP had never even approached her about it in the first place....and hasn't reported back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: