Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 09:25 AM

20 posts, read 9,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
$5k just to repaint your cabinets???!!!!! Damn. Mine are starting to show their age but they are in decent shape. Don't feel like replacing them but paying that much just for painting them is absurd.
That cost is for being refinished and sprayed by a professional. Some people roll them and use a brush for less money. After seeing that method done to my cabinets already, in my opinion it isn’t worry going in that direction again bc they’re chipping and wearing pretty bad. My kitchen isn’t small so to do a full renovation, it makes sense to go this route..and my boxes are from 1974 and they’re real wood where today a lot of the newer stuff that is reasonably priced is not made well. My first reaction was the same as yours but after researching this for almost a year it makes more sense to have a professional come in to refinish them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 03:42 PM

12 posts, read 5,717 times
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm essentially in the same boat but I'm currently swimming to shore, LOL. I bought 1(one) Home Depot Hampton Bay cabinet door front as a test. I figured it was worth $85 to find out the quality and whether I could hang it. I absolutely love it. It took about 20 mins to figure out where to drill the pilot holes, but once done, the rest follow suit. I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality, too. So, instead of spending $15K (average of all my estimates, including just getting doors replaced and countertops!), I'm in for $1700, not including countertops (which I've priced out to $2,500 installed for my tiny galley kitchen). So you may want to check it out as an option.
And just wanted to add, I ended up ordering for my entire kitchen.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:02 PM

20 posts, read 9,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka2 View Post
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm essentially in the same boat but I'm currently swimming to shore, LOL. I bought 1(one) Home Depot Hampton Bay cabinet door front as a test. I figured it was worth $85 to find out the quality and whether I could hang it. I absolutely love it. It took about 20 mins to figure out where to drill the pilot holes, but once done, the rest follow suit. I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality, too. So, instead of spending $15K (average of all my estimates, including just getting doors replaced and countertops!), I'm in for $1700, not including countertops (which I've priced out to $2,500 installed for my tiny galley kitchen). So you may want to check it out as an option.
And just wanted to add, I ended up ordering for my entire kitchen.
Thank you for sharing your story. I’m glad that the doors from Home Depot are working out for you. About a month ago I saw Home Depot sold Hampton Bay replacement doors. While they are cheaper than what I’ve been quoted, I still need them painted and installed by someone. Will you be painting the doors you purchased? My kitchen would require 26 doors and like 12 drawer fronts and all would need to get sprayed and my boxes were already painted so I need to have the paint removed from the boxes as well. Thank you again for sharing your story.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:39 PM

12 posts, read 5,717 times
If you'll need them painted and installed, then I would not recommend going this route. I initially had them come to give me an in person estimate for installing these exact same white thermofoil doors (but also included countertops, hardware, laminate facing on the boxes) and that actually was upwards of $15,000 (for a tiny 8'x8' galley kitchen). Therefore, I'm hanging them myself. But I will have them install countertops at a later date. FYI, they do sell solid wood doors in a variety of stains. But again, I can't imagine what it would come to with labor and installation.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:09 PM

259 posts, read 174,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
$5k just to repaint your cabinets???!!!!! Damn. Mine are starting to show their age but they are in decent shape. Don't feel like replacing them but paying that much just for painting them is absurd.
It involves taking the doors off, all the hardware off, strip off old paint/stain, repaint. Then put hardware back on, reinstall. Lot of manhours involved. For a big kitchen, I can see it costing 5k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island