Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 07:15 PM

235 posts, read 247,826 times

Advertisements

Newsday has long run filler announcements that home delivery prices will rise. Today, an email explained that it will go to $18.49 per week, billed every five weeks. I recall the era when Newsday was an afternoon paper delivered by youths after school. Now, it arrives about 5 a.m. with an occasional tip envelope to the contractor (not the driver). I presume this is part of a strong national trend, such as the Lower Hudson Gannett paper printing only Sunday-to-Friday. The NY Post website does not disclose its rates beyond initial promo. The NY Times, after the initial promo, is $17 digital per 4 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 08:51 PM

592 posts, read 919,718 times
Shameless. Preying on the elderly- the only population still reading that rag.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:12 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
They couldn't pay ME the 18 bucks a week to subscribe to that trash rag.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:28 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
What’s a newspaper ?

Old 04-16-2022, 05:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
What’s a newspaper ?

Pretty much this. Newspapers are on their death bed. Only way to make a profit anymore is to raise the prices to something ridiculous. Which in the end is only going to help them be out of business sooner.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:22 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Shameless. Preying on the elderly- the only population still reading that rag.
Yup. FIL passed away and DH was appalled at what he was paying for it.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:53 AM

855 posts, read 451,261 times
Gotta be so weird to get your news from one source. The one thrown onto your driveway.

Old 04-16-2022, 01:28 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
Newsday has long run filler announcements that home delivery prices will rise. Today, an email explained that it will go to $18.49 per week, billed every five weeks. I recall the era when Newsday was an afternoon paper delivered by youths after school. Now, it arrives about 5 a.m. with an occasional tip envelope to the contractor (not the driver). I presume this is part of a strong national trend, such as the Lower Hudson Gannett paper printing only Sunday-to-Friday. The NY Post website does not disclose its rates beyond initial promo. The NY Times, after the initial promo, is $17 digital per 4 weeks.
I pay much, much less than that for Newsday home delivery. The customer service reps are somewhat flexible with regard to subscription prices if you are willing to cancel to get a better rate. When my subscription rises to a price I don’t want to pay I call to cancel and they usually offer a better deal. The time or two they didn’t, I cancelled and weeks or months later got offered a better rate.

I also get the Daily News delivered for $2.99 a week. Newsday isn’t worth $18.49 a week in comparison. The $2.99 Daily News rate is a promotional rate for 26 weeks. When it ended last time I called to cancel if I couldn’t keep that rate. They said no so I cancelled. Two weeks later they sent me a letter offering the $2.99 rate again.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:27 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I get Newsday and the Times everyday. The Times has come at a discount rate for
years . Every time , the "promotion" wears off , I call and cancel and they put me back on
the promo rate. The Times is a fantastic newspaper ( the crosswords especially ) . I don't
know how they can even print it at that rate .

I don't think I pay that much for Newsday . I will have to check and see.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-16-2022, 04:32 PM

39 posts, read 29,518 times
I was going to quote one reply in this thread, but most seem to have the same slant, so I won’t.
I agree the price is high, and that mostly only older people(my 62 year old self included) subscribe these days.
Local papers do a service that CNN, FOX, etc., etc., etc., don’t. Newsday may not appeal to you, but it does have reporters digging up stories that otherwise would go unreported. I can’t help but think that it keeps some politicians and ne’re-do-wells on their toes.
Online news has value too, but I just feel it leans more toward titillation than information.
No need to rehash it here, but the advertising that used to subsidise newsprint has all but faded away. Find a paper from 30 years ago- you’ll see what I mean.
I just feel newspapers, especially local ones, provide intangible value, and I’d like to see them thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: